Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Avon ZZ5

Ridders

Nurburgring
Looking to replace my tyres prior to having new poly bushes & a full set up at Unit11. Anyone got any experience with Avon ZZ5, or Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 K117 ?

Running on 18" 225/40 front & 265/35 rear

Thanks

Ridders

Avon Tyres are tyres best suited to budget hatchbacks

Hankook and Toyo get reasonable reviews as not the main contenteder

A previous BMW I bought had 18" Avon ZZ5's fitted and they were truly awful. Crap in the wet and not much better in the dry. They were ditched about a month in for Michelins which were night and day in comparison.

C.

I've looked at the norm, Conti's or Michelins but not convinced I should be paying £600+ for "N" rated tyres that wouldn't have been officially tested/graded on a 1995 993 C2.

There must be a cheaper alternative rated at 180mph that 964/993 owners are happy with

Avons now out of the equation thanks chaps.

Ridders

Never scrimp on tyres is my advice, particularly on a performance car. Fair enough if your buying tyres for your hatchback that goes to the shops and back but a Porsche is an entirely different proposition.

New tyres will give you six to seven years service for a weekend driver or save your life if you use the car as intended.

C.

Had Avons on a Ferrari 328 and an Audi A5, good tyres IMO.

I decided on the Yokohama tyre based on good test results and it has just scored very well again in the 2016 Evo tyre test.

jpsh120 said:
I decided on the Yokohama tyre based on good test results and it has just scored very well again in the 2016 Evo tyre test.

That tyre test was v interesting... the gulf between the best and worst in terms of things like stopping distances was astonishing.

Ridders said:
I've looked at the norm, Conti's or Michelins but not convinced I should be paying £600+ for "N" rated tyres that wouldn't have been officially tested/graded on a 1995 993 C2.

There must be a cheaper alternative rated at 180mph that 964/993 owners are happy with

Avons now out of the equation thanks chaps.

Ridders

Last year I bought Michelin Pilot Sport 2 'N' rated tyres for my 996 C2 (the same sizes as your car) which were very good in both dry & wet, once they'd gotten down to 3.6 mm I replaced them earlier this year with non N-rated Pilot Sport 4's.

These latest PS4's are better in every way, giving more feel at the steering wheel and huge grip with very progressive breakaway near the limit of adhesion in dry or wet conditions.

Imho it's not worth getting hung-up over the N-rating issue on cars that are out of their warranty period.

As Cableguy says, those four minuscule contact patches are pivotal to everyones safety especially on a performance car - get the best you can afford and enjoy driving your 993 :thumbs:

I understand your points regarding the "best" tyres etc but when £200 to £300 difference is involved it makes you think & research a little.

I would describe my driving as spirited albeit not often enough but it had me thinking when I was trying to keep up with a 964 on Hankooks through the Welsh mountains recently, do I need Michelins or Contis, really? (Granted I may have been a worse driver & my Bridgestones are very low).

Hence my questions, is it always the right thing just to throw money at it when you can have. 186mph rated tyre for a lot less, even though you can hit silly sp___s on "b" roads?

& what about "N" rated tyres on a 993? Have the latest been tested on a 993? I doubt it, so why buy?

Ridders

Happy days!

Will be interested to hear what you think of them.

:thumb:

Went for a 4 hour spirited drive up through the Yorkshire Dales yesterday on various road surfaces and conditions, plenty of wet & damp sections, mainly "B" & "C" roads

The Yokohama's performed extremely well & I also noticed how quiet they were on most surfaces

Thanks for the heads up jpsh120

Ridders said:
Went for a 4 hour spirited drive up through the Yorkshire Dales yesterday on various road surfaces and conditions, plenty of wet & damp sections, mainly "B" & "C" roads

The Yokohama's performed extremely well & I also noticed how quiet they were on most surfaces

Thanks for the heads up jpsh120

You're welcome mate :thumb:

Good to hear you are happy with them, especially with tyres being such a subjective matter! I'm just waiting for delivery of 2 fronts to replace the pirellis and then I'll be all matching again. Can't believe how badly the pirellis have aged, they are badly cracked at under 2 years old. I'm interested to know what difference I'll feel when the yokies are on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back