Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LED Dashboard light replacements?

Should I use LED bulbs our keep it original?

• LED

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Original

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Judder

Silverstone
I have a couple of the dial background dash lights that have blown and I'm looking to replace

I think the standard bulbs are Osram 3w 12v bulbs according to this thread but wondered if anyone had used white LEDs instead to get a brighter light?

If so any recommendations of which ones to use?

These ones look like they might work and these ones look like the originals as far as I can tell

s-l500-400.png

s-l1600-400.png

Hi Judder,

I was thinking of doing the same but I thought the 3 lamps were
3W, 1.5W and 1.2W. That is what shows in the 996 catalogue.

Be interested to know if that is correct.

Suppose the only way to know for sure is to take the binnacle off.

I think LED lights would be a good upgrade if anyone knows for sure what type will fit without any error lights.

Yes, there are 3 different wattages as per the diagram below (credit: the RennsList post quoted above)

The Dashboard dial lights are all the green ones, and these are all 3w I believe - the rest I plan to leave as standard :wink:

Dial lights

instrument_bulbs.gif

The rest

post-2-1083080492.jpg

instrument_bulbs2.gif

I always hated the Amber lighting in the car and changed the dashboard lights
and the climate control leds (not an easy job).
Have a look here:
http://911uk.com/garage.php?mode=view_own_vehicle&CID=153
and look at the interior mods section for the 1998 C2 for pics of both to give you an idea.
I have the Leds and holders for the Dash if you are interested,
my cayman doesn't need them.
I have just swapped out all the interior bulbs with Leds
to give the inside a cleaner whiter look.

Hi TB
Tried to look at the link but got a message saying:
"Sorry but you do not appear to be the vehicle owner"

I sthere a setting that needs adding at my end or yours?

Mike

maldren said:
Hi TB
Tried to look at the link but got a message saying:
"Sorry but you do not appear to be the vehicle owner"

I sthere a setting that needs adding at my end or yours?

Mike

Attachments

• cc_lights__448.jpeg
    cc_lights__448.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 4,938
  • dashlights_157.jpeg
    dashlights_157.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 4,938
Hi TB,

That looks really nice a good upgrade.

For anyone thinking of doing this, LEDs are polarity dependant.
If you replace the bulbs with LEDs check they come on before
reassembling the console. If they don't illuminate, rotate them 180 degrees and check again.
You will need to connect one of the 3 connectors (black I think) to do this.

So I took my dashboard apart this weekend to inspect the existing lights and work out what sizes they are, ready for purchasing LEDs and here's a few photos and links for anyone else doing this:

1. Remove the dashboard and dials

Two good videos on doing this here and here - I left my hazard light wiring connected and just rotated the unit to get the dash dials out - you need a Torque 20 screw driver - just in case you have to replay the video a few times to decipher that bit!

2. To get to the inner light bulbs

You have to separate the back from the middle and front of the dial unit - which seems impossible until you stumble across the diagram below like I did

Basically you unplug the connectors inside the unit, by using a screw driver from outside the unit and then the back lifts off

cluster.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

3. Light bulbs

Once apart you can see there are 3 different types of bulb

Lower lights (seat belt etc.) = Black = Osram 12V 1.2w

Outside lights and most inner (behind LCDs etc.) = Yellow = Osram 12V 1.5w

Inner lights (dial illumination) = Green = OS 12V w3w E1 2GM w7k

IMG_3118.jpg

The green ones are basically w3w bulbs in a holder, so you can pull them out and replace them with any w3w bulb or LED bulbs if you can find them - Halfords didn't have any LED ones so I bought normal ones temporarily = 504w3w

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

The 1.2w and 1.5w ones are a hard wired unit, with the bulb connecting directly to the little 'legs' that connect to the dash motherboard contacts

IMG_3146.jpg

Interestingly Halford had these ones - 509T - which are direct replacements for the black 1.2w ones and work just fine - you can also use them for the yellow 1.5w they just won't be quite as bright

IMG_3145.jpg

Dashboard now all bright again and off to find LED replacements for the above!

Alex

These came to me today, courtesy of tbrown with the advice above who had done this before - thanks very much that's super kind and very much appreciated! :thumb:

The good news is the 'black' 1.2w bulbs that these replace are accessible from the back of the dial cluster without having to unplug all the plugs or take it apart so I can just unscrew the 2 x T20 torque screws, lift up the whole unit and replace them one by one 8)

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

Judder, Those little LEDs just pull out of the black holders
so you only need to replace the LEDs not the entire fittings.
It was easier to post them assembled.

TB

TB - what work did you do to the climate cluster? Does the display now glow white rather than the orange yellow i'm familiar with on my 996 of its it just the buttons that are white? Trying to think how mine looks by comparison

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back