Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuild woes...

Chris G

Hey,

My 964 started to sound very rough a couple of weeks ago, so I dropped into Unit 11 and they found metal fragments in the oil. Cue the engine being taken out and stripped down today...

Needs new oil tank, cooler & pump and pistons & cylinders so far. They also found a jubilee clip in cylinder 2, which has probably caused some more damage which I'm waiting to find out. Not sure how that ended up in there.

Crank is going to get measured at some point today or tomorrow.

The car is still on the dual flywheel, so will also be going for an RS clutch and flywheel whilst its all out.

So far he is roughly up to £10,000! I'm trying my hardest to convince myself that its money well spent and that I didn't actually need the money I saved up for my house!

The car is properly under my skin and I feel sick. So gutted

:eek: What's the year/mileage? I'll be interested to find out the cause especially if there is a suggestion of a rocket shaft bolt coming loose and fouling a cam. I'm convinced this is a factor in top end rebuilds :what:

Unit11 - You're in safe hands :thumb:

You drive you pay, found that out myself some bills small others huge.

My gearbox bill doubled, from the first quote until you open them up you never know same with a engine.

Chris,

I am truly gutted for you mate and how on earth can a jubi clip get in a cylinder ?

How many miles you done since you got it

Gaz

Engine was a reconditioned unit put in a few years ago on around 80k I think, done maybe another 15k since then. Thats if my memory is right

I'm going to see the damage tomorrow, but don't know the full extent of the build yet.

I've probably done 3-4k in the car since I had it. I'm gutted, but know that once I get the car back it will be sweet as a nut and a well sorted example.

Got to expect a big bill every now and again. Just knocks it out of you when you hear these sorts of figures haha

Another Unit 11 :thumbs: keep us posted.
And everyone slags 997's off btw.
Yes I have a 997.
:grin:

Chris G said:
Hey,

My 964 started to sound very rough a couple of weeks ago, so I dropped into Unit 11 and they found metal fragments in the oil. Cue the engine being taken out and stripped down today...

Needs new oil tank, cooler & pump and pistons & cylinders so far. They also found a jubilee clip in cylinder 2, which has probably caused some more damage which I'm waiting to find out. Not sure how that ended up in there.

Crank is going to get measured at some point today or tomorrow.

The car is still on the dual flywheel, so will also be going for an RS clutch and flywheel whilst its all out.

So far he is roughly up to £10,000! I'm trying my hardest to convince myself that its money well spent and that I didn't actually need the money I saved up for my house!

The car is properly under my skin and I feel sick. So gutted

Would have thought you could get a fully refurbed motor for that kind of money, or a bit less? can't imagine how it ran for more than ten minutes with a jubilee clip inside a barrel . Terrible news though.

Ah man! Nightmare. Been through it a few times on 911s I've had. That sinking feeling when you get the costs in.

Will be good when it's sorted but that's little consolation at the moment.

As for the post above suggesting a fully refurbed motor for less than £10k, I'd say no way unfortunately. Stick with what you have and get it rebuilt by someone good, Unit11 fit the bill by all accounts so you're in safe hands.
A decent top end rebuild will be £5k+. Once you start adding in pistons and barrels and everything else then £10k is the norm.

My 996 is with my Indy this week for a service and a few niggles. First time he's seen it since I bought it. I dread the phone ringing to say what he might have found. :grin: It hasn't gone in for anything like that but you never know. I always remember taking my first 911 in for what I thought was a blowing exhaust manifold only to be told it was snapped head studs. Cue the engine rebuild. First of a few over different cars.

My ethos.... Do it right, do it once. You only want to be in there once so change anything that's worn. That will probably extend to a few hundred pounds worth of tin-ware, then all the little bits like gaskets, seals, cam chains. It really mounts up.

You can always sell as is but if you really like it then I guess that's not an option.

Good luck. :thumb:

I saw Chris's motor yesterday and it was not a pretty picture. The guys found the remains of a small jubilee clip trapped behind inlet valve #2, it had obviously been bounced around for a long while before finally being nibbled by the valve and tiny piece by tiny piece ingested by the motor....You just cant get rid of debris like that once it's in the oil system without replacing the tank / cooler / pump otherwise you will likely have a repeat.
How did the clip get there? Only way is when the plenum and/or inlets have been off at some point. Its an easy mistake to make in that small space unfortunately.

Well as a lot of you are aware this is my old car an the plenums and inlets were off to get powder coated etc so was it at this point the jubi got in I honestly don't jnow if you look at the pictures in my thread the first thing I done was block of the inllets which didn't come out until the the plenum went back on so struggling to see how it got in there as Chris mentioned it was a replacement engine which had been in and out a couple of times due to it not running properly before I bought it so could it have been then I honestly don't know either way I feel for Chris also amazed how it can run ok for 5-6000 miles with this issue.

Gaz

Mistakes happen Gaz so who knows for sure. It could have lodged in the horizontal part of the inlets before finding its way down to the valve but even down there it would take a long time of being battered around before small fragments started to go into the motor.
Its done but Chris is in safe hands. The engine he gets back will be superb and wont cost some of the silly figures you read on forums.

Went to see the car yesterday and give the go ahead for the work to go ahead, after a brief flirt with going for a 3.8 build. But cost killed that one for me as I'm generally happy with the car as it is and the £11k it's costing with the RS clutch and flywheel is enough!

As Rob has said the engine was in a bad way. I'm surprised it lasted the 5-6k as well. At a guess its been rattling around in there without issue but has finally been broken down enough to cause an issue. The car drove fine the day I took it in to Unit 11, just sounded horrible, so lucky I heard it and got it in to the guys before more damage was caused.

How the jubilee clip got in there does not matter, it's one of those things and I was expecting to have to get the motor rebuilt at some point anyway. Once the car is back with me I know I'll have a well sorted car as the rest of the car really is in top condition and all the work carried out to a high standard.

I just want it back now, obviously depending on the time it takes for parts to come, I should have it back within 3-4 weeks. Gives me a couple of weeks to give the garage a spruce up I suppose!

oh, its a horrible feeling justifying the expense, I got hammered twice for mechanical and electrical repairs recently.

You never get that money back, I don't care what people say.

How many miles were on your car?

All these rebuilds and failures, I think most of these cars have done double the miles the clock says.

Palladium said:
oh, its a horrible feeling justifying the expense, I got hammered twice for mechanical and electrical repairs recently.

You never get that money back, I don't care what people say.

How many miles were on your car?

All these rebuilds and failures, I think most of these cars have done double the miles the clock says.

It's all about 'EVERY MILE IS A SMILE '

Plus I tell the wife it only cost this and not the real cost :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back