Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front diff oil seal

easternjets

Paul Ricard
I was fixing a coolant leak and noticed a smear of oil on the front under tray on my 997 Turbo, took it round to a local garage and got it up on the ramp, removed the under trays and it would appear the leak is coming from the front diff oil seal.
Has anyone had a similar issue and does anyone have experience of changing the afore mentioned seal?
Don't want to involve main dealers if it's a straight forward job.

Not done a front diff seal, but if it is anything like the rear one it`s not too bad a job.

Its not hard but if you are doing it on stands and not on a ramp then i expect it will be a little challenging , i would tend to do both sides at the same time and drop the diff for better access .

I personally would pay an indy to do it if you dont have access to a ramp but then you guys have amazed me many times by what can be accomplished on axle stands :thumb:

We had it up on the ramp and the guy that owns the garage seems pretty competent, can't be bothered paying OPC prices when its just taking off bolts and replacing seals.
We did consider doing both, foolish not to I suppose. The only fly in the ointment was, if removing ball joints etc might upset the geometry on the front end but it didn't look as though that area needed disturbing.
Only £50 for the two seals, we'll give it a go!

easternjets said:
We had it up on the ramp and the guy that owns the garage seems pretty competent, can't be bothered paying OPC prices when its just taking off bolts and replacing seals.
We did consider doing both, foolish not to I suppose. The only fly in the ointment was, if removing ball joints etc might upset the geometry on the front end but it didn't look as though that area needed disturbing.

I know a good place in Leeds... Well just outside. Yorkshire Classic Porsche. They'll tighten some bolts for you.

Jcx said:
easternjets said:

I know a good place in Leeds... Well just outside. Yorkshire Classic Porsche. They'll tighten some bolts for you.

Thanks for the tip on that company although I did hear they just 'nip them up' of course I'll need to test drive it afterwards as well!

easternjets said:
Jcx said:
easternjets said:

Thanks for the tip on that company although I did hear they just 'nip them up' of course I'll need to test drive it afterwards as well!

Naturally!

You dont need to touch the suspension for this , panels off , undo the driveshaft flange bolts each side , remove the diff support nuts AND the studs , undo center prob support then lower and remove the diff .. change seals on the bench + an oil change might be in order if not previously done...

easy :D

Excellent seems pretty straight forward as it's not a massive piece of metal.
So your saying you don't touch the wheels at all, just drop the diff out?
Getting the seals tomorrow so will hopefully get it done next week, then it's probably going to be off the road for winter.

Driveshafts bolt onto the diff , undo those bolts and theres enough clearence to get the diff out after its fixings have been removed .

Propshaft is on a spline , lower the front section and slide it off .. i think an r&r diff is approx 1.5 hours , might just be 1 hour.

Thats on a ramp though .

Which oil seal?
The one where the prop shaft is or one of the driveshaft seals?

Demort said:
Driveshafts bolt onto the diff , undo those bolts and theres enough clearence to get the diff out after its fixings have been removed .

Propshaft is on a spline , lower the front section and slide it off .. i think an r&r diff is approx 1.5 hours , might just be 1 hour.

Thats on a ramp though .

Can you not just drop the shafts down, pull the drive flanges and hook the seals out, replace then bolt it all back together ?

That`s how I remember doing a rear diff seal on a previous car.

It's the N/S drive shaft oil seal but I'm going to replace both sides especially so since it seems best to remove the diff.

You dont have to drop the diff .. you dont have to replace both sides but if both seals are the same age then the other will fail sooner or later :)

The driveshafts dont drop down but you can push them up and cable tie out the way .. bit harder to get the flange out , bit harder to get the seal out .. a fair bit harder to get the seal in .. etc etc ..

10 mins extra , a hand full of bolts and the diff is on the bench .. why make life hard i say :D

Added bonus .. if you find the cv boot are cracking all you have to do is undo the outer driveshaft nut and the shafts are off , dam site easier than stripping all the suspension to get them out ...

Thats why takeing a diff out saves time :)

chaser said:
Demort said:

Thats on a ramp though .

Can you not just drop the shafts down, pull the drive flanges and hook the seals out, replace then bolt it all back together ?

That`s how I remember doing a rear diff seal on a previous car.

You can. Absolutely no need to remove the diff. It's an easy job and I've done it on axle stands just fine.

Oh, and for God's sake, do not pay 50 quid for the two seals. I paid less than 5 quid for both. I can't remember the specs but they are written on the side of the seal and should also be in the Porsche catalogue. They are standard size and can be bought online.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back