Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Kangaroo juice to non-starter in 1 mile?

C2Porker

Hi, i've scoured the forum but can't see anything similar.

I took my 1990 C2 for a drive today, got 1.5m down the road when it started to kangaroo then go ok. However it got worse and I had to pull over within half a mile. The revs were going up and down crazily so I changed the DME relay but it made no difference.

I just about managed to drive the 200 further metres to my friend's house, but the jolting got so bad that I couldn't release the clutch after changing into 2nd gear, instead slipping the clutch/coasting/stalling. I left the car for an hour to see if it would be ok with a cold engine, but it wouldn't even start.

I had the crank sensor replaced 2 years ago, so it shouldn't be that.

If anyone has any suggestions, i'd really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks!

Sounds like the Lambda sensor on the exhaust/cat.

Engine runs fine when cold then when it warms up starts to kangaroo, mis-fire etc. Exactly the same symptoms as mine when I thought I'd successfully taken out the sensor intact to swap it to the de-cat pipe :what: Replaced with a new one and job sorted :thumb:

Here you go Here

Thanks Zingari! Is there a way of testing it? I was surprised when the car wouldn't start at all after i'd left it for an hour to cool down.

You'd have to do a google search to work out how to test it. Some info Here and Here.

Be mindful if you want to get it out to test it, you'll likely break it as the heat causes these things to almost weld themsleves to the exhaust.

If the car runs OK when its cold (no residual heat ie left overnight) then as it gently warms you get your symptoms I'd put my dough on it it will be the sensor.

You got 1.5 miles! I only got 0.5 miles away before I thought I was running on 3 cylinders, revs all over the place, couldn't keep engine stable, wouldn't accelerate with any great speed. Somehow I managed to limp home. New sensor ordered and fitted - perfect running again. :wink:

Again, thanks a lot! On that basis I'll just order one from the link you provided in the first post. Thanks ever so much! I'm going over to see if I can get the car going, but either way i'll get it trailered to the garage tomorrow. Will post a follow up soon. Thanks again :)

Ok so tried to start it after it's been left for 24 hours but no joy. Can smell fuel, but engine wouldn't catch, and it spluttered and died even after the ignition was switched off. Have arranged for the car to be recovered in the morning :(

Could your distributor belt have snapped and a rotor arm misfiring? Take the caps off and see if one of the arms spins freely. If you have fuel it must be spark??

Mystery solved!

UPDATE:

Many thanks for all your help! The fault turned out to be that one of the rotor arms had failed/disintegrated. Oh how i laughed when Porsche charged £90 for a Distributer Cap and £40 for a Rotor Arm. Each. Anyway, car running spot on now!

:worship: :thumbs: :thumb:

Glad it's sorted 👍🏻

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back