Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

anyone gone for kw v1s on their 993?

badlands

Montreal
One of my shocks is kaput so thinking of changing out the suspension for something better than original. Some othet suspension bits and pieces need refreshing too.

any thoughts on these? how good is the setup for terrible uk b roads...have read some reports of the kw springs being too stiff for uk.

pss10 are the other option but hesitant to spend that much....guilt kicks in, money that should really go towards family holidays etc.

Current usage is 99% hertfordshire pot-holed country lanes & the odd road trip to wales and so on. Really want to do the ring next year though.

See more track days in the future but cant really justify the cost right now. kw v3s put me off as not so easy to adjust as pss10

know the answer is prob just shell out now for pss10s so can have them softer currently then when start doing more track days i can adjust them to be stiffer.

whichever shocks i choose, intention is to lower the car to rs +10mm height and rs geo as Jackal suggests. also will prob sqitch my 18" hollow twists for 17" sport classics on yoko ad08s.

find the 993 so bouncy compared to previous 964 c4 which was just hunkered down on the road. but still want yo be able to drive 8 hours to snowdonia with he odd stop and not have terrible back pain. prob asking too much!!

I have been in a 964 with v1's which was impresive but the roads where pretty smooth. I'm also fancying a swap I have an almost new m033 kit at sport ride height which I find a bit soft with poor rebound control, the new dampers are monroe, the 100k boge dampers that came off had a much bigger shaft on the fronts and we're much better quality.

If your not really interested in adjustability like me the general consensus is koni fsd's are the optimum road setup, but worth investigating bilstien hd's (to hard?) Porsche classic kit (same as above but more expensive?) and the v1's you have mentioned.

I wouldn't go too far below sport ride height without looking at rs hubs and track rods unless you want to add a nice dollop of bump steer into the equation. Finally one of the best modifications I have done is gt2 evo solid in track rods which sharpen the steering up nicely.

Search Kimbo's posts as he seemed to try every combination of shocks and springs.

I have PS10's and they excellent at RS+10 totally transformed my 2s.
I believe conventional wisdom suggests Koni FSD with Eibach springs for a comfortable improvement from standard and Bilstein HD and HR springs for a slightly sportier drive if not going for coilovers.

KW seems to work better on the 964 than 993 I think they are a bit stiff for normal driving.

'Slightly' different car,but I went from standard set up on my 02 Mini Cooper S to Koni FSD's & Eibachs.. Ride was 'sightly' better.. Got given a courtesy about 6 months after fitting these,that had KW V1's on them.. Jesus,night and day difference in height,comfort and handling.. Needless to say I rang the garage and told them to swiftly take off my Koni's & Eibachs and to fit the KW's and never looked back in 3 years and 50k miles of ownership,and I drove everywhere,incl pot holed Herts and London.. :D
If I 'were' to change the suspension on my Porker,I would definitely go KW again.. :thumbs:

great to hear Junky. Thanks for the other comments too. Sounds like it's hard to go seriouslt wrong with either of the two options i'm considering.

v rough smartphone mockup of what i think it will look like on RS+10MM height, gold 17" sport classic and back to the amber indicators i just ordered. thoughts?!

:floor:

ha, will bear that in mind when I glue the sports classics onto the turbo twists next week.

here's another mockup attempt, slightly less GCSE art i hope! -

Here's a pic of something a little closer to the mark, albeit a lardy WB. ;)

C.

Attachments

• iris_gold_482.jpg
    iris_gold_482.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 8,752
thanks. i do think the gold and the iris seem to work pretty well.

Either that or recolouring them to matt grey

Matt Grey against Iris will look cack IMO, particularly on a one piece Sport Classic.

C.

Oli - hope these mock-ups help?

I used your existing Sport Classics (from here) so the shade of gold remains the same...

Right click each image and chose to open in new tab, to view them in full size.

Attachments

• 993_nb_iris_lowered_sportclassic17_gold_472.png
    993_nb_iris_lowered_sportclassic17_gold_472.png
    714.9 KB · Views: 8,701
  • 993_nb_iris_lowered_sportclassic17_grey_192.png
    993_nb_iris_lowered_sportclassic17_grey_192.png
    701.9 KB · Views: 8,701
wow, thanks so much!

cableguy you're right, matt grey doesnt really work. if i'm honest with myself the gold 17" sport classic isn't too great either on an iris 993 either...suits 964 looks better. For me the ultimate 993 wheel match is the turbo twist (closely followed by cup2). might need to just take a punt on keeping 18" wheels and hope the ride isnt too harsh. have read mixed report on the extent to which 18" ride harsher than 17" on the road. the car def doesnt ride as well right now aa my old 993 cab which was on cup2s, but with the suspension f#cked and rear control arms with play that's not surprising!!
:sad:

Have you thought about the H&R Cup Kit which have been designed in tandem? Lowers the car 40mm. I agree with the Turbo Twist comment, they are lovely wheels. A classic in my opinion. They would look fabulous against your Iris in a lighter than normal silver. Did a similar thing on mine; here it is outside HP Motorsport in Essex last week. Not lowered though but soon will be!

Good luck!

Attachments

• image_637.jpeg
    image_637.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 8,678

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back