Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Ultimate 996/997 wheel; who's in???

ELA

Barcelona
Been trying to get my wheels sorted for my CLR project for some time now and have now hit another brick wall. Basically I need a minimum order of 5 sets for them to go ahead as they usually only do a 200 minimum order so they are willing to make an exception. Trouble is, custom spec T6061 Forged wheels made in a state of the art factory are not cheap. I can't upfront 5 sets so am wondering if anyone would be interested in a set. Basically I need 4 other people to make this viable.
The wheels will be for 996 NB design to utilise stock tyre sizes (225/40 and 265/35 18's). ET's will be perfect to eliminate the need for spacers but I can't calculate this until I fit my Ohlins (this should be within the next few weeks).

Anyone interested???

ELA said:
Help me buy wheels that are optimised for my customised car. You can have a set too, but they are unlikely to be optimised for yours. LOL.

Anyone interested???

:floor:

Is it April 1st already?

ultegra said:
ELA said:
Help me buy wheels that are optimised for my customised car. You can have a set too, but they are unlikely to be optimised for yours. LOL.

Anyone interested???

:floor:

Er not quite ultegra, the wheels will be optimised for any Narrow Body 996/997 not my car specifically. I am just making the exact calculation on my car and want it done correctly, hence waiting for the Coilovers to be fitted so that clearances and perfect stance can be accurately calculated. No point in me doing a rough guess and then needing to fit 5mm spacers afterwards; that would kind of miss the point of making the perfect wheel for the car. Unless of course you have a 996/997 with a set of Coilovers fitted, that you can pop by with so I can do some checks?
I have spoken with all the main players, Fuchs, OZ, BBS and none of these companies have an off the shelf solution for these cars which is optimum (they all need spacers; i.e add extra weight). A set of custom Fuchs was €60K.
Nobody will have the opportunity to have a custom set of high spec wheels made for their car unless they jump in on this group buy. Unless of course you want to go to all the trouble I am and then either pay Fuchs crazy money or buy 200 wheels for yourself.

Hope that clarifies :thumb:

I think you need to provide a load more information before anyone would even consider this.

What is the optimization - I assume weight?

You're clearly going to reduce the offset - do you have a figure in mind?

What will they look like? BBS LMs would be a fine staring point, or maybe some Rotiforms.

By sticking to 265 rears, you discount all us 6.2 owners (on 285s) as well.

EGTE optimised in every sense: quality, strength, material, track, weight, offset, tyre fitment, colour, style (ok looks are of course subjective, but I did a poll a while back with an 85% approval rate on style).
The company I am dealing with are making life a little tricky so I am trying to limit me messing them around to one size/style. I can get any size/ET/Style I like, but throwing too many variables into the mix is just making the order more difficult and every change costs £100 per wheel for the most insignificant thing + min order qty...

Colour most likely a Gun-metal or anthracite type in a matt finish (again matt as this keeps weight down). I will also personally incur hefty additional costs as I need to go through the TUV approval process.

In terms of weight saving they are incredibly light; which will equate to around 17kg over the stock wheels currently fitted:

8x18ET44* come in at 8kg
9x18ET40* are 8.5kg

To put that in perspective genuine Fuchs are heavier and they come in terrible ET's so more weight would be needed with spacers.
The lightest wheels I have found only shave 025kg off per rim but again spacers would be needed so they would come in heavier.

*ET's above are estimates at present.

This all sounds great!
Thing is I'd need to know just roughly what kinda ball park price we are talking for a set?? 2k? 5k? 10k?!!
How do these compare weight wise to something like a bbs e88?

How low are you planning to go on your new coilovers? I'm running koni/h&r shocks and springs which are 30/40mm lower than std, so roughly gt3 height, probably a good height but sometimes I look at it and think it could go lower!

That all looks good, ELA.

Those weights are very good and the style is great. I reckon a 996.2 could drop to a 275 or even use a 265 anyway (less understeer, perhaps).

Keep us posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back