Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash headlight hight asjustment fault

pietrzj

Spa-Francorchamps
Guys, since going to HIDS I am getting a few cars flashing me. The alignment is identical to the old halogen.

I forgot about th ethree position dial on the dash and saw it was on "0". Turning it down a notch under testing the LHS light goes down (with slight actuator noise), but the RHS is silent and doesn't move down or up.

Anyone had a fault like this and know how to fix?

Most likely cause is the additional HID gubbins getting in the way of the tilting mechanism - try it with the back cover removed (temporarily) from the offending headlight...

..or your headlight has not "docked" properly. Make sure the connector at the back engages fully with the plug in the wing.

The way the plastic flexes, often its the headlight adjustment motor which stops working.

I feel such a wally.

Early in the summer I replaced the RHS headlamp with a unit I found on ebay which was about £10 cheaper than a new one.

I have just realized (though I haven't checked), that it might not have had the M605 option of a motor for driving the vertical aim adjustment and that is the cause of my problem!

What makes it worse is that I am trying not to keep as much crap in the garage as I normally do, and after fitting the light I threw out the old one (very yellowed lense backing was the reason for the change). So I can't even butcher the old one to install the motor.

What a penny pinching half a job (I only checked the light came on and not the up and down function) idiot.

Anyway, you live and learn I suppose. If my theory proves correct, I will have to buy another proper headlamp unit with the M605 :( The saving grace is I might be able to butcher this non M605 one for the lense backing to swap with the LHS one, which is also going a bot yellow.

:sad:

For what it's worth - I had the MOT test recently (passed no advisories) and my helpful tester Nigel knows a thing or two about Porsches. Thanks to my DIY suspension refresh the car is sitting higher at the rear and the lights needed to be adjusted to compensate which took the tester about two minutes.

Later however I noticed that the offside headlight motor is not working. There must be a motor, as it was working fine last year!

Further investigation obviously now needed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back