Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

exhaust port colour insode the block

Andyspencer100

Silverstone
So, I'm doing some preventative maintenance, replacing the bolts everywhere in the exhaust system. And now it's all apart, i'm looking up from underneath into the exhaust side of the cylinder head and its a mixture of black carbon soot lightly covering ll surfaces inside the port and a white build up on the rear of the valve face and the stem, the bit that doesn't slide in and out of the guide of course.

my question is, is it worth cleaning this whilst I can get to it, or just leave it alone?

If cleaning is the way, any reconsiderations on product or technique?

Theres no point in cleaning it .. wont make any difference to anything and more of a chance to push carbon into the cylider through an open valve.

I personnely wouldn,t bother even if i had the head off :)

Just clean the mateing surface of the mainifold and leave it at that .

If you really want to clean it then its a rotary wire brush .. if any of the exhaust valves are open though you run the chance of scratching the valve stem that goes into the guide .

i think you're probably right there, just leave it.

i found the coils cracked, so Ive ordered plugs and coil packs, so i took the plugs out and stuck the bore scope down the hole. the bores are fine, no scoring.

The pistons look dirtier than id have expected though. Any idea what i should be seeing down there? they have a light coating of black, with a sheen of moisture. its not been driven for a while

That sounds pretty normal to me , pistons will always have a carbon buildup on them as will valves .

When scopeing the bores you obviously need the piston at the bottom and rotate the camera through 360 as you are trying to see the "wear" side of the bore.

You will occasionally see grey lines not straight but kind off looks like a crack .. These are in fact normal ( well ive seen many and never a problem ) , we call them pencil lines and i would love to know what causes them but unfortunatly even our training guys , when i was there , couldn,t say.

For any oil contamination you will usually see it on the plugs first .. black and shinny like a gloss paint .

Well, what can I say. I've replaced the coil packs and plugs, and replaced alll exhaust gaskets, and bolts etc with stainless. (Except manifold head bolts of course).

And teken her for a test drive....... oh... my..... god!

Throttle response is incriedible, and the noise. That exhaust us been blowing and I didn't even know it. Oh, and the mpg (when I decided to be gentle) 45mpg. Wtf! I've never seen more than 36, ever.

Diferent car. Completely worth doing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back