Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash Camera Advice

Jam911

Albert Park
I am in the market for a dash camera.

I would like one that:

1 Is discrete / look good, but not obvious

2 Is easy to use

3 Films front and rear and possible turns on for parking nudges.

4 Doesn't cost £££

5 Doesn't have to he hard wired

6 Is Mac compatible

Thanks for the help.

Jam911 said:
I am in the market for a dash camera. How about a Blackvue system?

I would like one that:

1 Is discrete / look good, but not obvious I think it's reasonably discrete although there is an argument that the camera being visible is a deterrent?

2 Is easy to use Turn it on and forget it

3 Films front and rear and possible turns on for parking nudges. Not on one camera but you can buy a rear facing that connects to the front. The sensitivity can be adjusted using the software and it also has movement detection ie it will record someone moving in front of it when in parking mode.

4 Doesn't cost £££ Ah, depends on what you mean £££? There are most definitely cheaper options out there (but not as neat looking imho) - they're not Chinese 'bargains'

5 Doesn't have to be hard wired I prefer hard wired but you can power these via the cigar lighter (needs to be permanent live though for 24/7 coverage as there's no internal battery)

6 Is Mac compatible Uses mini SD card for video capture and Blackvue provide Mac software

Thanks for the help.

Mine looks like this - good luck with the hunt. :thumb:

Attachments

• 2015_08_29_163126a_637.jpg
    2015_08_29_163126a_637.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 1,743
Thanks for the info.

Is it hardwired into the light?

No mate - I ran the power wire down to the fuse box and wired it in there. the wire tucks in nicely between the windshield and lining etc. The only wire you see is the short piece in the photo.

I also purchased a power control box which turns the camera off if the battery voltage drops too low so you don't knacker the battery. Probably only needed if it's a dodgey battery to be honest but there never the less.

I was doing tons of research on this a few months ago when I looking at getting an M4.

I settled on the Thinkware F750 front and rear camera setup. It'll be the one I'll be getting for my Porsche later in the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back