Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water pump failure - lucky man, easy fix

pandjack

I've not posted much in almost 3 years of relatively trouble-free 997 C2S (2005) ownership but thought this may be of interest to anyone with the prospect of water pump/thermostat replacement looming.

Having completed an 1100 mile round trip from York to the western isles of Scotland a couple of weeks ago (some of the THE most amazing driving roads I've ever encountered - including Stelvio, Baden Baden-Freiburg 500, San Bernadino etc from a previous Euro jaunt) my water pump let go less than a mile from home on the return journey. Having researched the options of taking the car to my totally capable, reliable & good value Indy man of excellent repute in Leeds, & having a go myself I decided on the latter purely for the experience of working on a 911!! With the help of a couple of really useful You Tube tutorials (you don't even need the link - Google it!) I replaced the drive belt, water pump, thermostat & cat clamps (had to grind these off to create sufficient clearance to drop the rigid coolant pipe to facilitate water pump removal) myself. Confidence, the right tools (l1/4 inch drive Torx sockets, knuckle bends & various length extensions to access the tight spaces) & a little patience/perseverence &.......job done!! Tight, tricky access & grazed knuckles aside it was a doddle & having refilled/bled the coolant, started the engine & just returned from a short drive with no leaks I feel.......rather smug. I've 'mended' my 911! :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back