Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Manual gearbox adjustments?

Floydsolo

Monza
I've read stories about some 997.1's having synchro issues in 1st & 2nd. I fitted a short shift kit last year & last week changed the transmission oil for the Millers stuff. I've found the gear change to be worse now in 1st & 2nd, the rest are fine. No crunching, a bit notchy but just really hard at times getting it into second, you have to really force it in. Sometimes it goes in fine.

I'm assuming the adjustments at the gear lever end are just for the positioning of the lever but are there any adjustments I could try at the gearbox end? Could it be the cable itself?

I once fitted a solid gearbox mount in a previous car I had & it made the world of difference when changing from 1st to 2nd. This is why I feel it could be something other than the synchro?

Any input welcome.

Think you right to question it mate as most people rave about the short shift kit. :thumb:

shortening the shift does two things:

Accelerates the speed the gears are rammed in and probably doesn't do the gearbox any goo over time.

&

Highlights any issues you may have changing gear (compared with the normal shift) as it takes more force to move the (internal) gearbox selector, because you're doing it over a shorter distance.

It's the equivalent of trying to open your door using the wing mirror.

alex yates said:
shortening the shift does two things:

Accelerates the speed the gears are rammed in and probably doesn't do the gearbox any goo over time.

&

Highlights any issues you may have changing gear (compared with the normal shift) as it takes more force to move the (internal) gearbox selector, because you're doing it over a shorter distance.

It's the equivalent of trying to open your door using the wing mirror.

And this is the very reason why i am not fitting a short shifter, i recently done a gearbox oil change whilst the engine was in the process of a re build and with millers oils it was sweet, gear changes were smooth as butter.. maybe changing from short shift back to standard might be a good idea .

cheers

J

Some people remark they get a notchy shift 1st/2nd when cold but disappears when the oil is up to temp. Is your Miller oil different viscocity to that recommended by Porsche?

As for a suggestion that a SSK may not do good over time, then ask yourself why would Porsche have offered it as a factory-fit option?

I have a 997 Porsche-supplied SSK fitted by my Indy. I have no notchiness and the 30% reduction in throw gives the proverbial rifle-bolt action gear-shifts.

So possibly yours needs to be examined for setup. Check also oil and the one thing you don't mention is if you have the Porsche part or an after-market generic part.

I have retained the original shifter, but I like the SSK on mine. So does the OPC when they test drive the car after a service.

What about semi-solid engine / new 'box mounts and inserts? - didn't you do that Phil?
Any impact to 1>2 change or was it more about not having engine and gearbox moving about as much?

cheshire911 said:
As for a suggestion that a SSK may not do good over time, then ask yourself why would Porsche have fitted an inferior bearing not capable of standing the torque applied on it when the intermediate shaft powers the cams?

Fixed that for you :wink:

Chalk and cheese load of b&llocks and inserted as a quote that I didn't make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back