Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hardtop feels lose, shocking rattle!

Zen Ben

Spa-Francorchamps
Fitted the hardtop on for the first time since I bought the car a few months ago and I have got a really annoying rattle coming from the front corners of the roof, where the tabs? are, every bump feels like the roof is shaking. My Boxster was nothing like this, any tips on how to solve the issue.

Don't mind some little squeaks etc but this is shocking!

The plastic back off them (the tabs) are broken, causing them to not lock correctly in the front fittings. Front fittings are also adjustable so you can take any play up. There's a guide online somewhere how to set them.

Ok, do you have any pictures, im not quite sure what you mean.

Have been searching Google but not had much luck.

Alex is it the same with the soft top, i have a squeak that i have traced to the front of the soft top / windscreen frame there are two plastic lugs but no cover on them. should they be covered.

steve

Don't think so. The squeak can usually be cured by spraying/applying some silicone lubricant or grease around the seals and moving parts on the soft top.

Ben's will be a definite knock like something is seriously loose.

Thanks Alex, first class help as usual.

I will get the top off as soon as I can find someone to help and see if those covers are missing, I'm guessing that is the problem as I didn't notice anything broken when I was cleaning it all up.

:cap: Glad to be of help.

Looking at complaint 2, I wonder if this related to the missing screw I found in that sun-visor bracket. I bought a replacement but the thread has gone so it doesn't tighten.

Going to hopefully get the roof off tomorrow and see if its missing those tab covers, I will also see if I can adjust the brackets too.

Got the roof off today and had a good look.

Firstly I am missing the caps that go on the tabs/lugs whatever they are called. So I will order those up now. But most importantly I have found out why the other screw would not hold, and its not good news, my right nut is broken.

How on earth can I fix this without serious work?

29726930050_dcd356ef1e_c.jpg

Can you get to the opposite side? might be able to replace the nut

steve

Nope, first thing I thought of. Took off the a pillar trim and could not see access, nor from the top or by removing the rubber. I have a worrying feeling that they are put there before the panel is welded in place.

This is probably a job for your local indy .. ive done a few of these , hard part is getting the old bits out .

You fit a Rivnut into the hole after you have drilled / broken picked and sworn at the bits left inside.

Much more comon on Boxsters as they only have the center fixing and so has more load on them .

Google rivnut .

They are fitted dureing the manufactureing process , you dont have access to them .

If you really want to do it yourself then there are kits available to buy .. but you will probably only use the kit once so a bit of a waste of money imho .

If you diy it then ill explain how to do it .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back