Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lazy start Over Rev New Starter motor seemed to work!

kam

Nurburgring
Hi
Have had the lazy start on my 997.1 Turbo for a while.

Rather than change the lead which is not easy on the Turbo, thought I try the Starter motor. Easy access from under the car.

Cranking is much faster and seems to have solved the starting issues when warm.

It also has sorted the over rev problem which has been ongoing since I bought the car three years ago..

Well happy

Over rev post;
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=94772&highlight= :D

Yep. I did the same about 12 months ago and it sorted out all the slow start issues. Not sure it'll cure the overrevs on start up issue though. It's possibly lessened the frequency on mine, but hasn't fixed it. I still experience it occasionally

Shewie said:
Yep. I did the same about 12 months ago and it sorted out all the slow start issues. Not sure it'll cure the overrevs on start up issue though. It's possibly lessened the frequency on mine, but hasn't fixed it. I still experience it occasionally

Fingers crossed, not had a over Rev for five days!

Was doing it on a daily basis.

On the Turbos it tends to be starter that needs replaceing and not the lead .. does make a lot of difference though .

The Rev .. is that the crank angle sensor that needs spaceing out fault ?

EDIT .. aghh i see it is .. and changeing the starter has made a difference ? im intrigued now .. please keep me informed as its very usefull to know should i come across this at work .

Kind of makes sense , on cranking the cars sees a low spin over so " gives it more throttle " in a sense anyways and when it does catch it over revs untill the car can bring it back down.

Faster spin over would stop this so starter and battery would make sense as helping the reving problem.

Demort said:
On the Turbos it tends to be starter that needs replaceing and not the lead .. does make a lot of difference though .

EDIT .. aghh i see it is .. and changeing the starter has made a difference ? im intrigued now .. please keep me informed as its very usefull to know should i come across this at work .

Kind of makes sense , on cranking the cars sees a low spin over so " gives it more throttle " in a sense anyways and when it does catch it over revs untill the car can bring it back down.

Faster spin over would stop this so starter and battery would make sense as helping the reving problem.

Hi
I had the crank sensor adjusted after my clutch change. Did not sort on mine.
Hope this has helped, will keep you informed!

kam said:
Demort said:

Btw, euro car parts sold me a Bosch starter for only £128.00 exchange. Narvin!

Hi

kam said:
Demort said:

Hi

I remember your post , not something i have come across yet but this will be very usefull and indeed interesting if it makes the rev fault occur less hence im keen to find out :)

Thank you .

But from your original post and this it kind of makes sense to me .

Re: Lazy start New Start motor, what a difference!...

kam said:
Hi

Rather than change the lead which is not easy on the Turbo, thought I try the Starter motor. Easy access from under the car.

It also has sorted the over rev problem which has been ongoing since I bought the car three years ago..

Well happy

Over rev post;

Hope you have found a fix. The rev flair at start came back on mine after 6 months with new sensor fitted and gapped correctly.
Had a lazy start develop so fitted new battery and all seemed fine until beginning of July and rev flair back again !!!
In at Cambridge OPC tomorrow for minor service, MOT, Brake fluid change, 111 pt check for warranty renewal and will mention to them ref starter motor and see what they say . :?:

Demort said:
kam said:
Demort said:

Hi

I remember your post , not something i have come across yet but this will be very usefull and indeed interesting if it makes the rev fault occur less hence im keen to find out :)

Thank you .

But from your original post and this it kind of makes sense to me .

The over rev has been driving me mad, just makes you cringe when it revs over 3k! The start just seems normal now.....

Re: Lazy start New Start motor, what a difference!...

steve baker said:
kam said:
Hi

Well happy

Over rev post;

Hope you have found a fix. The rev flair at start came back on mine after 6 months with new sensor fitted and gapped correctly.
Had a lazy start develop so fitted new battery and all seemed fine until beginning of July and rev flair back again !!!
In at Cambridge OPC tomorrow for minor service, MOT, Brake fluid change, 111 pt check for warranty renewal and will mention to them ref starter motor and see what they say . :?:

I hope this has fixed it, just one more to tick off the list!

Remember back in the day .. we used to pull out the choke then start the car .. if pulled out too far the car started and jumped to 2k , you then used to push it back in to get a sensible idle .

Thats basically what i think is happening here although the car is operateing the choke and pulling it too far out .. electronically speaking :)

And yes .. it does make you cringe lol

Demort said:
Remember back in the day .. we used to pull out the choke then start the car .. if pulled out too far the car started and jumped to 2k , you then used to push it back in to get a sensible idle .

Thats basically what i think is happening here although the car is operateing the choke and pulling it too far out .. electronically speaking :)

And yes .. it does make you cringe lol

Now you are showing your age! :D

My Turbo over revs on start up occasionally, could be the starter motor then???

basildon993 said:
My Turbo over revs on start up occasionally, could be the starter motor then???

I would not say it is the starter, but mine seems to be fine now.

Have driven it this morning and still no over rev, main thing it is right on the button starting!. Will have to see how I get on in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, bought my Bosch starter from Euro car parts for only £128.00 exchange!.

yep .. definitely showing my age now Kam lol .

Hold on for now basildon993 .. need to see how Kam gets on :)

But if my theory is correct it will mainly happen when the battery is a bit low on charge .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back