Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

headlining

oneonealpha

Silverstone
Anyone know how to remove the headlining. I have a rattle which is really getting on my nerves

Thank you for that.
Having removed several bits of trim and loosening the lining, have found a rubber strip lying on top. on checking the manual it looks like a sunroof rear seal. there hasn't been any ingress of water and to replace it, it seems i have to remove the sliding roof instead of the lining.
can't find anything else the would cause the rattle, so in for a penny

My biggest frustration with my 996 is the bloody rattles in the roof.

I have removed the headlining in different stages after sorting the sun roof and thought I had fixed it until today when I heard a new one from the rear corner when my daughter got in the back :evil:

It is seriously putting me off the car now, I think I am either going to try and take a whole day to remove it all and fix it properly or sell the damn thing.

I have never had a car before with so many rattles from the roof not the best piece of engineering Porsche have done.

[/u]

Nimrod said:
My biggest frustration with my 996 is the bloody rattles in the roof.

Mine seems to have good days and bad days, sometimes it's quiet but sometimes at certain speed it's annoyingly bad. I wonder if it's temperature / frequency related.

I wanted a car without sunroof (for weight saving more than anything) but none were available at the time.

found it .. I think
There is a tension rod between the lining and roof which is held in by a plastic clip at each end, the rod on mine was a loose fit in the clip, so some insulating tape on the rod then clipped back into place. hopefully job done will let you know when I've driven it.

Thanks for the tips Dermott, my car also has days when it is well behaved and quiet then others were there are rattles constantly for 10 minutes or more.

I think I have fixed the sunroof rattles though I have put felt tape in numerous places and couldn't be sure which piece fixed it.

I have also use tape behind the metal brackets that hold the coat hooks which helped with the next set of rattles which then showed up some from behind the sunroof which I think are the supporting bars in the headlining as mentioned.

I must be being stupid but I can not seem to see the bl***dy bars even after unclipping bits of the lining from behind the c pillars. Any tips welcome .

In generally I love Porsche engineering but the roof of the 996 drives me mad !

after a drive the rattle has gone, I just need to do the other side so I will try and film it and post

Noises on Porsches tend to be temperature related hence they come and go .. try stopping noises on a Targa for instance lol .

Typical noises on a 996 tend to be rear seat catches , tape around the latch pin helps , rear panel under screen .. the clips that hold it need tapeing ..

Seat belt height adjusters .. they always rattle , normally have to replace them .

Front windscreen seal , have to fit teflon tape under it .

You can get noises from the clips that hold the rear quarter panels in place , not common but again tape ( teflon ) on the fixings.

Rear window rubbers .. i could go on and on i guess .. but above are the more obvious ones.

If oneonealpha can photo his it should help a lot .

Hi Dermot,

I totally agree about the rattles being temperature related, that has taken me by surprise. Twice I think I have solved the problems to have rattles return when the temperature altered.

I have identified another one from the bar that goes across the sunroof, I will try and fix this at the weekend.

But a new one has appeared that seems to be coming from either the rear shelf or behind the c pillar. It seems as I tape up one area I create a new rattle as things subtly move.

Is removing the rear shelf difficult, do you know of any link that shows how it's done ?

Thanks
Nimrod

if you look here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

You can download the workshop manuals , body interior and exterior are what you need , mainly interior .

the rear panel bascially pulls towards you to remove .. but the clips do tend to break .

As long as there are a few left it will hold it in place though .

Removeing a panel can often cause other noises , rule of thumb is to tape any contact area when a panel is removed .

teflon tape looks like selotape , not sure if you can get it any place other than porsche , but its good for edge contact noises , for everything else you use fabric tape .

for noises in the rear its best to have someone in the back whilst you road test , they can locate the area of the noise as trust me noises do travel and you can end up looking in the wrong place .

bought myself some plastic pry bars to remove the trim without damaging it.
first thing to do is remove the coat hook then remove the screw and ease the pillar cover forward. then using your new tools remove the front roof trim completely and ease the rear one forward and this enables you to access the rod shown in the photo. it should be clearly evident that the rod is loose, I just need to do the other side and I will put a dab of silicone on all of the plastic clips to see if that helps.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spilly67
Back