Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo Suspnsion Kaput - Replacement Suggestions

Mat59

Monza
Hi All,

My 2001 996 Turbo on 85k has a damp patch at the bottom of the inside of the rear tyre after it was parked up for three weeks. I've had a look at the rear spring and shock through the wheel and it is damp. I must have a blown rear shock. I'm not gutted as I have been considering a refresh or upgrade anyway.

I'm looking for advice, guys!

I don't track the car as I have a BRZ for that. It's a weekend and mountain drives sort of a car to me. I'm considering either an OEM refresh or upgrade. I'm not really in a position to spend a fortune (baby No.2 on the way) on a set of track-worthy coilovers - PSS9, KW V3, Ohlins etc. First thoughts were some better dampers - Bilstein, Koni etc? A step up in price I assume will get me a decent spring and damper kit or X73 kit. Then I assume I'd be into entry level coilovers - H&R Street ring a bell.

End goal is a nice little upgrade as I'd assume this is probably no more expensive than a replacement set of OEM shocks. Would also look at doing any bushes that are likely to be knackered. Front top mounts were recently done.

Any advice genuinely appreciated!!

Matt

Can you not get your standard shocks refurbished, or are you looking for a change?

I understand that is a very cost effective option, though it may take a while.

996ttalot said:
B6 Sports are your best bet.

Ken

Thanks, Ken and RobertB.

Can I just change the shocks or should I do the springs at the same time. Car looks to have the same ride height front to back so don't think either axle is sagging.

Also, any bushes that will prob need doing?

Mat59 said:
996ttalot said:

Ken

Thanks, Ken and RobertB.

Can I just change the shocks or should I do the springs at the same time. Car looks to have the same ride height front to back so don't think either axle is sagging.

Basically you should bank on
- top mounts front and potentially rear if original
- maybe some lower control arms
- new ARBs etc.

As to the springs, it does not suggest that you have any cracked springs, but you need to assess them at the same time. It is rare that we change springs, unless snapped of course, normally just clean them up and treat them.

The above advice is worse case which is how I like to plan.

Ken

996ttalot said:
Mat59 said:
996ttalot said:

Ken

Thanks, Ken and RobertB.

- new ARBs etc.

As to the springs, it does not suggest that you have any cracked springs, but you need to assess them at the same time. It is rare that we change springs, unless snapped of course, normally just clean them up and treat them.

Ken

Thanks Ken. That's really appreciated!

I'd be using 9E if you weren't 4000 miles away.

Mat59 said:
996ttalot said:
Mat59 said:
996ttalot said:

Ken

Thanks, Ken and RobertB.

- new ARBs etc.

Ken

Thanks Ken. That's really appreciated!

I'd be using 9E if you weren't 4000 miles away.
No excuse - just built an engine for a car from Dubai shipped over. :hand:

I can vouch for the B6 upgrade, had mine done by Ken and the boys a few months back and it's a decent improvement over stock. It's quite firm, but well damped and controlled. Anyone local to 9e considering the change is welcome to come for a drive in mine if it helps make their mind up, give us a shout when you're in Blighty OP :)

If the springs are to be replaced, match up the B6s with Eibachs by using their "B12" Kits - they match them up and sell as a top-quality package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back