Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake dust

adi7

Eight days ago i became proud owner of a 997.2 3
6 pdk. Great car, awesome gearbox. Bought it from opc with new discs and pads. Boy does it dust up its wheels quickly. Maybe a pdk side effect ?? Anyone else noticed this?

Attachments

• screenshot_20160918_152219_179.jpg
    screenshot_20160918_152219_179.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 2,529
I can't see how it might be any thing to do with the gearbox.

Maybe you have some non-standard pads in there, as I've found my pads to be pretty good in terms of dust, and certainly better than some of the really high performance pads which produce those sticky black bits that are really hard to shift.

You're obviously enjoying the car too much :lol:

Mine are similar after a spirited hoon around the country roads near me.

:welcome: to the Forum.

Don't think a PDK necessarily creates any more brake dust than a manual car. Think it is just a function of the pad/disc materials and bedding-in that creates so much dust, so perfectly normal.

If left on for some time, the brake dust will chemically react with the lacquer on the wheels. Recommendation, based on past experience, is to clean the wheels and apply a nanotech sealant, such as Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour. Although this doesn't reduce the brake dust in the slightest, it makes it extremely easy to wash off the brake dust from both the outer face/spokes of the wheel and also the inner rim.

The standard pads do create a fair bit of brake dust I'm afraid. I'm thinking of swapping over to Redstuff pads as they are a low dust pad. Had the same issue with my 3.2 Carrera. I swopped to Greenstuff pads on that which improved matters no end.

I understand your thinking that a tip/pdk doesn't use gears to brake like changing down in a manual, so you would apply the brakes for longer and possibly harder when stopping, thus creating more dust and there is logic behind that. But as others have said OE pads create more than some of the aftermarket like redstuff etc. also a very good idea is to do as DTZ911 suggests and get some Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour as this not only protects the lacquer but it creates a film that reduced the dust sticking and the dust washes off very easily. This will help especially as if you have an OPC warranty you won't be able to use aftermarket pads. Lovely car by the way and IMO the best Porsche alloys. :thumb: :grin:

Yes, loads of dust, especially if they're newly fitted pads/discs. Had a right old hoon in mine yesterday as the weather was ace. The front wheels are minging now.

basildon993 said:
The standard pads do create a fair bit of brake dust I'm afraid. I'm thinking of swapping over to Redstuff pads as they are a low dust pad. Had the same issue with my 3.2 Carrera. I swopped to Greenstuff pads on that which improved matters no end.

Just curious does anybody know how a low dust pad works - is it a harder composite so presumably causes more disk wear or is it a different material altogether, presumably although dust is annoying me it is a sign your pads are working correctly ? ? ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back