Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

oil cooler leak

mightyvr6

Trainee
Hi chaps.

I've got a few fresh oil drops from the front corner drivers side. Looking through the bumper grill I can see the oil cooler is black with oil towards the top so presumably the radiator is holed or the pipework is leaking.

I plan to remove the bumper cover to further inspect and sort the fan resistors whilst I'm in there. Is changing the oil cooler and/or pipework a straight forward job? Is there anything I need to know before I start - hints and tips?

Cheers, Ben

Hi,

I did the oil cooler fan resistor back in February, no big deal, fortunately the oil cooler was fine. The most difficult thing is getting the rubber seal between the PU and the front of the wings lined up nicely when you put the PU back.

Not sure if you've removed the PU before but here is a link to p-car showing you how its done, I found it useful.

http://p-car.com/diy/bumper/

If you look at my post below it will give you an idea of what I did.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=109898&highlight=oil+cooler+risistor

Good luck.

ATB :)

PS Just had a thought, the oil is on the front drivers side corner you say, you don't have a leaky steering rack do you?

Hi,

before you take the bumper off I would remove the front wheel and wheel arch liner. Then pop the headlight out. These two jobs will give you very good access to the oil cooler (and pipes). If you clean the radiator and run the engine you should be able to check for a leak.

The pipes at the top may well be loose and that's what i would check for first. You can nip both pipes up just make sure you counter hold the oil cooler fittings using two spanners so the cooler itself doesn't bear the load.

Removing the bumper usually brings a host of other jobs needing to be done. That's fine if that's your aim and if it is, I'd buy all the small metal support brackets and parts beforehand including the speed nuts.

The rubber seal between the wings and the bumper are stapled on. These too may need to be replaced.

Regards
GR

Thanks chaps. Its definitely not the rack. I've taken the arch liner off and the hoses and unions look fine. I've concluded it's the cooler itself and it must be running down the centre and collecting at the bottom where all the gunge is. I will try and clean it up a bit better so it's definitive and take a few snaps.

I've finally got round to removing the front pu to replace my leaky oil cooler. The 2 metal strips/screws which hold the bumper to the wings have almost totally rusted away. My ac condensor although not leaking is in bad shape and lost many of its fins so will need replacing and of course new ballast resistors for both sides. I will change the dryer too. The condensor housing is a bit corroded at the base so requires some rust treatment and a lick of paint.

Is there anything else I should need parts wise (like the foam strips) or should be changed whilst I'm in there?

Thanks chaps, very much appreciated

:thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back