Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What is it called?

cbr6dc

Montreal
The metal 'shield' that sits next to the ignition coils to protect them from the heat of the manifolds?

Mine are knackered and could do with 2 more but I have no idea what they are called.

Cheers for that - that's a good price too.

Edit - I was full of crap lol.

cbr6dc said:
VinceB said:
cbr6dc said:
Cheers for that - that's a good price too.

Found it on design 911 called something else for over £27 each.

Then you are looking at the wrong part:

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod7718/Heat-Shield-Porsche-996---2001/

:grin:

Dammit you are quick! I was hoping I'd done a ninja edit! Lol

Fastest guns in the west.... :pistols:

Which reminds me... I should have a package en route from them that hasn't arrived.

I need to order some shields and coils. Expensive though lol.

Got a £95 bill to replace the washer on the cam chain bolt tomorrow.... They could be having me over but for the sake of if it going and wrecking the engine by dumping oil I'll pay it... Reluctantly.

cbr6dc said:

Got a £95 bill to replace the washer on the cam chain bolt tomorrow.... They could be having me over but for the sake of if it going and wrecking the engine by dumping oil I'll pay it... Reluctantly.

I am doing the chain tensioner next week, should be a pretty simple job I hope. I called Porsche (both east london and colchester) and although they couldnt give a price over the phone they wanted like £300 for the job. Mandatory £130 hours exploration then another hour fix plus vat etc...

The o-ring is about £1 and the crush washer is 85p, It's less than an hour labour for even me. At £90 they could have done it but at that price no thanks, I will soldier on and test my work by turning over the engine a few times by hand once I have done the job.

VinceB said:
cbr6dc said:

I am doing the chain tensioner next week, should be a pretty simple job I hope. I called Porsche (both east london and colchester) and although they couldnt give a price over the phone they wanted like £300 for the job. Mandatory £130 hours exploration then another hour fix plus vat etc...

The o-ring is about £1 and the crush washer is 85p, It's less than an hour labour for even me. At £90 they could have done it but at that price no thanks, I will soldier on and test my work by turning over the engine a few times by hand once I have done the job.

I think with me it is just the space - I can work on it at a friends however if things need ordering then it's got to stay there which is an issue. I've got an idea of how it is done however I think with the knowledge needed it's just more beneficial as once it's done, it's done.

I'll have enough to do when I replace the shock. My mate can help me as he's got all the kit - garage jack, spring compressors etc. He's built no end of performance motors on a budget.

Bought mine here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191418979299

The thing that baffled me is that they sell the same part number for both sides, and yet the shape of the cover is clearly designed to protect more from one side (as the metal is folded back).......so on one side it protects more from the front of the engine, and the other side it protects more from the rear?

can anyone explain the reasoning behind this??

Another issue is the 10mm bolts shear off very easily...grrrr!

The M96 was designed so that the left and the right heads are the same, rather than mirror images of one another.

That's why the engine needs an intermediate shaft to take the cam drive from one end to the other - one head's cams are driven from the flywheel end of the IMS and the other head's cams are driven from the pulley end.

It figures that the cam covers and the coil shields are not handed.

These, mild steel shields are cheap but rust easily and look horrible, Its strange that no one has made a stainless or similar shield, its the same for the 997 :thumb:

They only look horrible to a weirdo laying under their car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back