Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo woes

Jason Taylor

Montreal
I took my 997.1 turbo out for a spin yesterday and noticed that the boost was stuttering under acceleration, it did in fact fail to boost at all at on point through 2,3 & 4th gears when accelerating hard but did come back again, i have it booked into my local Indy next week, any ideas as to the potential issue?

Cheers

Jason Taylor said:
I took my 997.1 turbo out for a spin yesterday and noticed that the boost was stuttering under acceleration, it did in fact fail to boost at all at on point through 2,3 & 4th gears when accelerating hard but did come back again, i have it booked into my local Indy next week, any ideas as to the potential issue?

Cheers

Turbo actuator rods

Boba fett said:
Jason Taylor said:

Cheers

Turbo actuator rods
Is that a common fault?
Also is it an expensive fix

You may be able to free them off

Don't want to worry you but....

Mine had corroded actuator rods, but the turbos were also corroded to the point where we had to change everything. It probably is a relatively easy job, but it's interesting to see how many of these seem to be sticking :?:

Jason Taylor said:
Boba fett said:
Jason Taylor said:

Cheers

Turbo actuator rods
Is that a common fault?

Common fault, they can stick due to lack of use / lack of lubrication. They should be lubed every year really. You may get away with just getting them lubed, Porsche recommend a special grease for this.
Not too expensive if new ones are needed though. Not sure how much, as mine were fine once lubricated. :)

The rods are only about £20 each and, with the car on a ramp, take about 30 seconds to replace.

basildon993 said:
Jason Taylor said:
Boba fett said:
Jason Taylor said:

Cheers

Turbo actuator rods
Is that a common fault?

Common fault, they can stick due to lack of use / lack of lubrication. They should be lubed every year really. You may get away with just getting them lubed, Porsche recommend a special grease for this.
Not too expensive if new ones are needed though. Not sure how much, as mine were fine once lubricated. :)

This seems to be a recurring item at the moment - have posted the service action several times recently!!
Have a look at the attached document - it will give you some pointers. :thumb:

Attachments

• w902service_actionsm_172.pdf
    286.9 KB · Views: 111
T8 said:
The rods are only about £20 each and, with the car on a ramp, take about 30 seconds to replace.

I can't believe that such a key component of a 190mph+, £100k car is so ordinary.

Well, I feel a lot better now, I'm sure I'm not into a £00000 fix, I'll keep you guys posted cars booked in for next week, fingers crossed

T8 said:
T8 said:

I can't believe that such a key component of a 190mph+, £100k car is so ordinary.

T8,
Do you have a quick 'How To' on this aSo would like to replace mine but they seem virtually impossible to get at. Left hand bank has a heat shield in the way and the bolts holding this aren't particularly accessible. Granted, I am working on my back with the car reversed up onto wind up Halfords ramps but you do make it sound like access should not be a problem!

Mine was already on an overhead ramp at my OPC having a free 'Health Check'.

That's good to hear!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back