Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What''s the expected pre-delivery mileage on brand new 911'

alpinaB3

Trainee
Later this month I am expected to take delivery of a new 911 S4. I know a guy who has already taken delivery of his brand new 911 S2 however even before he sat in the car it has already done 20 miles on the clock. I phoned the same dealership today and the salesman mentioned that the average pre delivery mileage is about 15 miles on the clock, however it can range between 10 and 20 miles and can be up to 100 miles. The Salesman mentioned that for some unknown reason the pre delivery mileage is noticeably higher on 911's than other cars within the Porsche range.

On my previous cars the pre delivery mileage has always been less than 7 miles on the clock when I have taken delivery of the new car. Have other members also experienced between 10-20 pre-delivery miles recorded when they have taken delivery of their 911 or has it been much less?

I am wondering if this particular dealership for some reason adds additional mileage on new 911's more so that other dealerships within the UK?

I wouldn't worry too much as it will have probably done more than it shows anyway. When I worked for VW we could reset the clock back to 0 to remove most of the delivery mileage. (if i remember correctly you could only do this once and if the mileage was below a certain amount). The cars are normally stored in a separate place from the showroom, ours was about 10 miles away, also they get moved around a bit to clean, fill with fuel do a PDI etc.

Sounds about right........In my teenage years I went over to a BMW facility near Quiddelbach (from memory) with my Father to pick up a E28 M5 'off the production line' car had been driven by my Father and BMW Tech's around the ring tweeked, serviced and once everyone was happy the milometer set to 0 and off we went back to Scotland.

Never drove the car myself but remember it certainly had pace - must ask my Dad about the spec.....

What's a few hundred miles between friends......

Dealers used to be able to re-set the mileage to 0, but that changed a few years ago I believe ?

I really wouldn't worry about it, it'll be what it'll be... better to have the car properly sorted before you collect than have unnecessary headaches.

Do you have a collection date? not too long now!! :)

Around 40 is enough

Just be fastidious looking.

ITS NEW mon Brav and should be tip top and to your satisfaction

-----------

Its the service manager you want get to know, the sales side just punt out metal

:thumb:

Zen Ben said:
I wouldn't worry too much as it will have probably done more than it shows anyway. When I worked for VW we could reset the clock back to 0 to remove most of the delivery mileage. (if i remember correctly you could only do this once and if the mileage was below a certain amount). The cars are normally stored in a separate place from the showroom, ours was about 10 miles away, also they get moved around a bit to clean, fill with fuel do a PDI etc.

+1

MB is upto 100 miles (and only once)

Off the transporter into storage. From storage to the OPC for the Pdi. From the pdi to the local petrol station for a splash go juice. So, depending upon where these are located in relation to the dealership, that's where the mileage goes. Shouldn't worry about 20 miles, but, I'd be pretty hacked off to see 100 miles on a brand new car though tbh.

Which is why most manufacturers allow electronic odos t be reset.

In which case, it is doubly poor service if they put the miles on AND don't bother to take them off!

I know some lads who used to drive brand new cars up from down south to the North West as their jobs. Before the modern technology of 'pressing reset' the speedo was just disconnected and then reconnected during the PDI. They used to race each other up and screw the shoite out of them. This was common practice between anyone else they knew who delivered new cars and having 250 miles+ done on it was the norm.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's hard to screw a 991 from cold in urban areas.

I think it unlikely that they will take it around the Nordschleife

You could always put it in reverse ;)

Attachments

• ferris_4_825.jpg
    ferris_4_825.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 8,649
  • ferris_3_367.jpg
    ferris_3_367.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 8,649
  • ferris_2_514.jpg
    ferris_2_514.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 8,649
  • ferris_1_186.jpg
    ferris_1_186.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 8,649
I drove a brand new Polo Estate (lucky me) back from storage to the show room once, when I got back I noticed that the coating on the exhaust was smoking from where I had given it some beans. I doubt that car ever had another drive like it! :floor:

Customers would have a ***** fit if they knew what we were doing to their brand new cars before they got them.

I am certain that many are reset back in the workshops . In the 90's a guy used to go round giving BMW M3 a hair cut :floor: 50 quid a pop or you could pull the speedo wire off the back axle :eek: ,Audi Quattro Turbo's were all driven flat out on the test track before leaving the factory that's well documented ,so as for one careful owner never :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back