Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is the 996 GT3 MK1 worth a punt?

Bund

Montreal
I'm not thinking of buying it to enjoy but purely as a trade.

I'm not sure if GT2s are moving at the 100k plus price? Or if the silly prices are being achieved for leggy 993's? Yet a low mileage gt3 mk1 can be had between 60-70. The latter has a racing pedigree and I see it as a better bet. Anyone bought one for Similar reasons?

Bund said:
I'm not thinking of buying it to enjoy but purely as a trade.

I'm not sure if GT2s are moving at the 100k plus price or the silly prices now being asked for leggy 993's but a low mileage gt3 mk1 can be had between 60-70 and has a racing pedigree I see it as a better bet. Anyone bought one for the same reasoning?

I agree with your logic and think they are a pretty good bet seeming good value. The market seems a bit stagnant at the moment but with low interest rates what else are you going to do with your wedge.

I think any GT3 is worth a punt right now.

this mk2 club sport is a good buy and maybe even get for £60k:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...996/porsche-911-996-gt3-clubsport/6154618?v=c

try and get a club sport if you can. mk1 or mk2. they are both going to be a good long term investment.

there is a bit of skull-doggery going on on the T'internet about whether the Mk1 is a true car out of weissach and does that really matter. they are both great cars and get what you can get your hands on!!

I actually emailed that car to a guy I used to race with as I thought it might of been his car. He purchased from JZM but I think it was black.

I haven't heard this story about mk1 cars but sounds like sour grape made up rubbish.

Not exactly sure if you can call it sour grapes.

From what i can tell, its been a long standing belief that the mk.1 road car came out of Weissach (same as the race cars). People who have an interest in GT3's have done their research and it suggests the mk.1 was not built at Weissach however there doesnt appear to be anything solid to suggest that the cars was/wasnt a product of weissach production line

I should have used a better phrase than the sour grapes one I apologise.

Is it meant to intend that the mk2 was in fact built there but the mk1 wasn't?

Caveat I own a MK1 CS.

Lots of cars for sale at the moment so I suspect there are some good deals to be had. As someone else said, I would go after a clubsport, in a desirable colour with lots of history and you can't go far wrong. 911V have a well known MK1, not a CS but looks this business in speed yellow.

The thing which always strikes me is that if you take the mileage, history and condition of some of the GT3 cars for sale and applied that to an air-cooled 993 or 964 in cooking Carrera 2 form, you're talking similar money if not more. That seems crazy to me given what the GT3 is in terms of driving experience and pedigree.

Good luck and don't forget to drive it.

Will certainly be a club sport, after that I'm interested in history and mileage, I'm not to fussed about the colour, they seem to look good in most colours I just don't like the wing on the mk1 or 2 but it does its purpose.

you would have thought mk1 and mk2 were built in the same place what with the focus on money and getting it right.

I can see why the mk1 is more desirable as it was the first generation. but then the mk2 is an evolution and so on.

for me the 997 GT3 mk1 is the real bargain of a car. so much car for the money compared to say the RS version.

either way go for it dude and good luck. they are epic cars.

I bought a 997 Gt3 new when they came out, I had paint problems from day 1, vowed never to have a white car again. It had a great engine but swapped it rather quickly for an F1 430.

ah ok. that answers that conundrum then.

996 it is sir!!

I know the guards red one at Parr for sale with the nomex seats, cage and nitron suspension. very special car and owned by a mate. has been well and truly loved. its not a clubbie but nearly there....

you might even be able to do a better deal privately ;-)

I see the seller posting about it the other day, I read he's bought something else?

How does it end up with nomex seats and not start as a clubsport?

Bund said:
I see the seller posting about it the other day, I read he's bought something else?

How does it end up with nomex seats and not start as a clubsport?

Hi, it's my 996.2 GT3 at Parr. In answer to above, the car was initially a comfort spec car, and the first owner ran it for first 40,000 miles, before having some 'clubsport' modifications. These were OEM Porsche crested nomex seats, red Schroth belts/harness, OEM Tequipment half cage and a fire extinguisher. He also purchased Moton clubsport dampers (approx £6k!).
He sold it soon after the modifications.
I knew the second owner and purchased it from him (I only went round for a cup of tea and general chat about GT3 ownership!).
It is a beautiful car and has been fully checked / inspected by Parr (and serviced by them for last 5 years). It has to be one of the last registered 996 cars as I have never seen another 55 plate.
It has been properly pampered whilst in my care and was kept garaged under a custom car cover. It was professionally detailed by Rob Tomlin at Supercar Detailing.
As you say I have purchased another car, hence the sale. (I am currently considering keeping it however, as I won't let it go for peanuts!).
PM me if you want to know any more.

Your probably right about a good investment too, if my previous cars anything to go by.

I sold a lovely 993 C2S for £27k for the GT3 and I had a BMW E30 M3 Evo Sport which I struggled to sell for £10k before that.
Both cars have gone through the roof since!!!!

Stroller said:
Your probably right about a good investment too, if my previous cars anything to go by.

I sold a lovely 993 C2S for £27k for the GT3 and I had a BMW E30 M3 Evo Sport which I struggled to sell for £10k before that.
Both cars have gone through the roof since!!!!

All been there pal
968 Clubsport
997 GT3
M3 CSL
430 Scuderia
993 2S

Lost money on all but one of them and turned down a 993 GT2 and went for a new Aston Vantage..... What mistakes......

Anyway I think needs to be a standard GT3 CS mk1 out of the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back