Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reliability of smaller capacity engine

jazzy2000

Trainee
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? Would the old 991.1 3 and 3.4 be more reliable in the long run as it would not have to do as much compared with the 991.2 engines.

You could always start a rumour about whichever you most wanted to buy in a few years time.

Then sit back and let the Internet do the hard work for you.

As it stands currently, within the margins error, neither is more reliable (or both are as reliable, depending on how full of empty your glass is).

As proved by the number of Honda Jazz my Range Rover passes abandoned on the hard shoulder.

Soooooo many variables. No magic or simple answers to that one.

My 2L TT engine was far more reliable than the 4.2L RS6 engine, for similar driving style and mileage and age, but the capacity of the engine was pretty irrelevant in the cause of each fault encountered.

I was mainly refering to the engine. If the car breaks down due to ecu fault, engine size does not come into the equation. :) I remember the american cars with hugh cc and fairly low revs in normal use.

You are not wrong in finding correlations (particularly historically) to engine size intra brand or brand to brand, but for the 991 (and the smaller 981), there is no material difference.

The main reason for intra-brand correlation will be when the shared fundamental engine design has an engineering issue which one or other end on the capacity spectrum masks, whilst the other accentuates.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back