Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommendations for roller garage door

Bund

I'm having a garage built and among things needed is a roller door. I'm in west London if anyone can recommend a brand or fitter. I'v seen a few posts about auto-roll but not sure on the motors they use.

Second up is do I plaster the garage or not as I don't work on my own cars yet it's not attached to the house? It's brick and block, will be 5*6m and will store my car and have some sports equipment up, im thinking to put a spare 50" pioneer I've now got surplus to requirements from the house and maybe a small sofa.

Am i getting carried away?

I can highly recommend Hormann insulated sectional up and over garage doors. I'm located 100 miles away from you so can't help with an installer. I just finished my garage about 6 weeks ago. I had it plastered and the floor tiled, could you be happier wit it.

Attachments

• image_719.jpeg
    image_719.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 20,080
I got my roller doors from a seller on eBay. They seem identical to what I have seen elsewhere installed. I opted to paint the brickwork so I guess a middle of the road between plastering and just leaving as block work.

Here's the thread I did at the time of my build;

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=108747&highlight=project+garage

911tom said:
I got my roller doors from a seller on eBay. They seem identical to what I have seen elsewhere installed. I opted to paint the brickwork so I guess a middle of the road between plastering and just leaving as block work.

Just had a look at the thread, nice looking garage. I don't work on my car, just like to look at it and drive it. That's why I put my garage on the side of my lounge, love the view!

Attachments

• image_722.jpeg
    image_722.jpeg
    685.7 KB · Views: 20,052
RJW1881 said:
I can highly recommend Hormann insulated sectional up and over garage doors. I'm located 100 miles away from you so can't help with an installer. I just finished my garage about 6 weeks ago. I had it plastered and the floor tiled, could you be happier wit it.

I can second that recommendation. Had a Hormann insulation sectional door fitted a couple of years ago and it's excellent. I also highly recommend Trevor at http://www.ahagaragedoors.co.uk who was very helpful and knowledgable in the selection process and his fitter did an excellent installation job. Well priced too. (No connection other than being a happy customer)

Cheers
Mark

RJW1881 said:
911tom said:

Just had a look at the thread, nice looking garage. I don't work on my car, just like to look at it and drive it. That's why I put my garage on the side of my lounge, love the view!

:worship: :worship: :worship: that sir is seriously cool! Just showed it to the missus and got this look :roll: Not exactly a no :?:

I have had one of these for about 7 years now. It still looks brand new. Fitted it myself as it was a fun job and took a day working slowly. Nicely insulated with a garador motor, which comes with a Horman remote...OEM stuff going on obviously....mines about 5m wide and works a treat.

http://novoferm.co.uk/products/garage-doors/insulated-sectional-doors/

I would also highly recommend Hormann garage and front doors.

spiderlane said:
RJW1881 said:

I can second that recommendation. Had a Hormann insulation sectional door fitted a couple of years ago and it's excellent. I also highly recommend Trevor at http://www.ahagaragedoors.co.uk who was very helpful and knowledgable in the selection process and his fitter did an excellent installation job. Well priced too. (No connection other than being a happy customer)

Cheers
Mark

Another for Hormann doors had them fitted about 5 years ago opened at least 3 times a day and have been superb

If you go for a roller shutter make sure they include the casing which 'boxes' the roller in. Normally they only use them for exterior fit but if you dont have one internally there's a danger you wont get an airtight seal at the very top bewteen the door slats and frame opening so any insulation in the door itself is compromised. Ask me how I know :bonk:

Had I done this again without doubt I would have had a sectional insulated door as they are IMHO a better fit and insulate the garage much better. Although with ceiling framing etc they are perhaps not as 'tidy' if you want a clean look. Fitters told me I couldn't have one due to a side wall abutment. Sounded like complete bollox with hindsight.

Cant remember what make mine is (I'd have to dig out the paperwork - Chamberlain rings a bell) but for a double garage width, white finish and 3 x remotes it was c£1,300

grbspeedster said:
Another for Hormann doors had them fitted about 5 years ago opened at least 3 times a day and have been superb

and another vote for Hormann, very reliable and well insulated.

I've gone for an SWS Seceuroglide:

http://www.sws.co.uk/products/seceuroglide/roller-garage-doors/product-ranges

Watch out for cheap ones. Most suppliers in the UK white label the same cheap crap. A decent bit of web research and you'll soon start spotting common marketing material with different branding etc. One of the main things to watch for is the quality of the motor. The Somfy motors in SWS doors come with a 5 year guarantee. Many suppliers manufacture from cheap materials, buying in the slats and coating them (some better than others) and fitting motors with a short lifespan.

I've no connection with SWS, I just did a fair amount of research to come to the conclusion I did. If you like gadgets, they also come with some nifty technology so you can control the door via SMS (bizarre, unless you need to open it for a delivery/collection when you're not in - no, I wasn't convinced either...)

RJW1881 said:

That is absolutely awesome. I wish I could persuade the missus to go for that idea, unfortunately she doesnt even let me keep one of my motorbikes in the kitchen like I used to at my old house. :(

would also highly recommend Hormann garage doors. Not cheap but the quality is second to none, also very quiet in operation which is a pleasing extra. Had 2 fitted a few years ago still A1 operational and absolutely zero issues.

We used http://www.wolverinegaragedoors.co.uk/ Excellent service

AVOID any cheap fitters such as Essati Garage Doors, who despite claiming to be as good as Hormann get a terrible press.

Some very cool garages, I could be happy with just white washing the walls, I've also thought about the rubber tilling and tiled floor, ideally I'd go tile but I'll train in my garage so the floor will get wet so likely go rubber. Can you trust eBay for such things?

So the sectional up and over might work but I'll have to see what space I have left as I need a hole for access into the loft section of garage and will have a permanent bracket attached to a beam somewhere for a bag which is why I was just thinking roller door.

I'll look into this H brand you guys recommend. Do they do roller doors also?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back