Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air Con leak detection, UV in the system?

infrasilver

I seem to have an A/C leak or some issue stopping it blowing cool. I had a re-gas in May and last weekend I noticed it wasn't blowing cool once again.

I was checking the pipework front to rear last weekend and I can't find a leak anywhere so the next job was to remove the bumper and check the condensers but it got me thinking, does the gas have a UV dye in it already?

I have a UV bulb somewhere so I was thinking of turning the garage lights off to get detecting but if there is no dye in the system I would be wasting my time.

I leave for Spain soon so need to make sure the system is working well and I don't have a lot of time to do it.

Yes it will have. I have UV torch and goggles if you can wait until next weekend.
MC

MisterCorn said:
Yes it will have. I have UV torch and goggles if you can wait until next weekend.
MC

This will be my last weekend to work on the car before going away so I'll just find the bulb and put it in my lead light, I bought the bulb for a Halloween party and assume it'll do the job?

What do UV goggles look like :grin:

Before checking for leaks, I'd just go through the system to ensure everything is operating right. I once had a right problem with my Dad's Saab no blowing cold and it was fully gassed.

Is the clutch engaging on the condenser when the aircon is actuated?

&

Is the pipe work getting cold on the low pressure side?

My Dad's turned out to be a sticking expansion valve.

infrasilver said:
Was just checking that actually and it doesn't engage button on or off.
It won't if there is no gas. Open the cap and press the button to see if there is any.

MC

Easy first check Chris is the joint just behind the drivers door in front of the rear wheel arch under the sill. Mines weeping slightly there. Also check your pipe work at the front drivers side jacking point. After that, it's bumper off time.

I'd checked all the pipework last week and I've just been over it again and cant find anything or any stains anywhere. Shone a torch into the front bumper grilles and nothing suspect in the either. I'll have to pull the bumper to fit a new low tone horn so may just splash out on new condensers. These have been fitted for 5 years so may be due.

Mine were totally shagged. The radiators and brackets were bad too. But mine were a lot older than yours. It is a pretty easy job.

MC

I did mine today - the near-side condenser was split and there was green dye / fluid behind it.

The amount of crud that came out was incredible!! I know others have mentioned that it's a good idea to clean it out occasionally, but it might need to be a yearly thing? Maybe two years.... :p

DSC_0003.JPG

And all cleaned with the new condenser (I did both sides)

DSC_0005.JPG

Mine look in poorish condition from what I can see but I just can't see a leak from through the grilles, hopefully it is the condensers as I'll just buy some new ones.

If you get grilles fitted you won't get leaves and other big bits of crud getting into your rads.

I also found this issue today that could affect a few of our cars and may hold off corrosion if sorted out. Worth 10 minutes of your life.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1227321

I've ordered two new condensers (although they sent me 997 ones which need to be sent back) and a dryer as I don't think I've ever replaced one previously and I've probably had three re-gasses in my ownership.

The old condensers don't look great but still don't look like they are leaking. I've also gone over the whole systems pipework with a UV light and I can't find any leaks, there is definitely something leaking slightly and now I'm beginning to wonder if I do actually have a dye in the system from the last re-gas?

Thanks to the bumper grilles I've only got a little dust between the rads and the condensers, this has collected over 5 years, so proves the need for grilles.

Condenser condition.

The problem with condensers are they get very tiny perforations all the way across them that are impossible to recognise individually, but as a whole, create enough of a combined leak to drain the system (so my local aircon expert told me a few years ago). He said if there's no significant leak in the system it will definitely be the condensers.

You will go blasting round foreign country back roads with your snake bellied 996! :hand:

:grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back