Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

intermittent Dectane LED.. help

Basalt_Yellow_997

Silverstone
So these (not so) cheap pieces of ***** are being cheap pieces of *****..

:x

Everything was fine until one hot summer day I went for a blast and got a check rear light message

now I have this message pretty much permanently.. it's only affecting right rear

My indicator still seems to work thankfully, but it's basically the red lights (brake, night lights etc) that are very flakey. They do work, as they will come on initially but will go out and stay out until i recycle the lights, then they go again

is there a definitive fix for this?

Are they genuine dectane or just a hong kong led , if they are genuine dectane I would contact them directly in Germany as they are generally very good at customer service. if they are Chinese LEDs depends on how long you have had them and where you got them as to what service you can expect , I sent a set of front leds back that I had fitted for 18 months that developed a fault and got a replacement no questions asked . I did get my indy to look at them and they had corroded terminals bet yours are going to be similar they did clean them up and cover them in some waterproof compound which did sort them, but as I had already contacted the supplier and got the nod to return them I did . let me know how you get on with looking at the terminals :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Are they genuine dectane or just a hong kong led , if they are genuine dectane I would contact them directly in Germany as they are generally very good at customer service. if they are Chinese LEDs depends on how long you have had them and where you got them as to what service you can expect , I sent a set of front leds back that I had fitted for 18 months that developed a fault and got a replacement no questions asked . I did get my indy to look at them and they had corroded terminals bet yours are going to be similar they did clean them up and cover them in some waterproof compound which did sort them, but as I had already contacted the supplier and got the nod to return them I did . let me know how you get on with looking at the terminals :thumb:

Hi

Yeah they are genuine Dectane / Depo (is it?)

However, they were bought second hand and stupidly I threw away the box as they seemed fine at that stage.

I've contacted an electrician who really knows his stuff (fixed my dead subwoofers) so hoping he has the knowledge needed. I've read it's a resistor issue, I imagine the black box got toasted during a spirited drive on a hot day so hoping this can be replaced.

I very much doubt Dectane will be that interested in dealing with me but it might be a last resort

Basalt_Yellow_997 said:
Phil 997 said:

Hi

Yeah they are genuine Dectane / Depo (is it?)

However, they were bought second hand and stupidly I threw away the box as they seemed fine at that stage.

I've contacted an electrician who really knows his stuff (fixed my dead subwoofers) so hoping he has the knowledge needed. I've read it's a resistor issue, I imagine the black box got toasted during a spirited drive on a hot day so hoping this can be replaced.

I very much doubt Dectane will be that interested in dealing with me but it might be a last resort

Hopefully your sparks can sort them as they are generally very good lights dectane in germany are the guys if you need to. depo are dectane but marketed in the states under the depo brand name

These are manufactured by Depo in Taiwan and Dectane have the European distribution rights.
Depo are the largest aftermarket Auto Lights manufacturer in the world and make very good products. However I did suffer a similar experience with my M3 aftermarket rear LED's after a few years. The problem was due to a resistor pack failure. I tried to source a replacement pack but was told they did not sell separately. You need to isolate where the problem is coming from (i.e. left or right) to narrow the problem down.
I had to remove the solder and re-solder the pack which sounds simple enough but you need to remove all the plastic to get into it.
I am assuming that you have the resistor packs installed as you bought second hand?? If not then this will be the source of your problem.
Try Dectane they may have some spares.

Gollom122 said:
These are manufactured by Depo in Taiwan and Dectane have the European distribution rights.
Depo are the largest aftermarket Auto Lights manufacturer in the world and make very good products. However I did suffer a similar experience with my M3 aftermarket rear LED's after a few years. The problem was due to a resistor pack failure. I tried to source a replacement pack but was told they did not sell separately. You need to isolate where the problem is coming from (i.e. left or right) to narrow the problem down.
I had to remove the solder and re-solder the pack which sounds simple enough but you need to remove all the plastic to get into it.
I am assuming that you have the resistor packs installed as you bought second hand?? If not then this will be the source of your problem.
Try Dectane they may have some spares.

Good info mate , I knew they were depo in the states but didn't know the rest of the world other than Europe , as you say they are very good lights. :thumb: I enjoy finding out new info out on here :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back