Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I'm out of the loop

mostlyd

Hi all,

Its good to be back!

I am back in the market for a fun car. I'm leaning towards a 997.2. I want a C2s manual in a dark colour.

What money should I be looking at and how are they depreciating? Am I better off going for a 997.1 with an upgraded engine?

I have not looked at what has been happening on here for over a year and I'm out of touch...

Simon

:welcome: back Simon.

Prices are where they were last year or maybe a little bit higher so you're not that out of touch.

If your budget will stretch to a Gen2 car ...... do it.

Happy Hunting. :thumb:

I've never driven a 997 but I want an S.

As to spec I would like heated seats, not bothered about nav as google maps is so good. I like a good stereo.

Unsure what chrono is? My GF doesn't like loud cars so PSE might be nice (switch on with her in car). Other than that I'll ignore and get a replacement exhaust as I loved my 993 with the bypass.

Other than that I'm having my man maths questioned. I drive a daily 09 c220 cdi sport that does everything i need. Its done 118k now but is still going fine. I drive about 30k for work and I thought I'd run another year then change. I'll put aside all I gain from income generated to a newer one next year.

I figured that if I bought a 997 I could have a back up if it needs some work or breaks down. This is being questioned but I've assured her my thinking is practical.

She's sceptical....

Watch the youtube reviews to be inspired by the difference & to make your own decisions based on real life owners feedback.

What is your absolute maximum budget that you've set so members can guide you in their knowledge?

Bearing in mind you will have to factor in Insurance £800, Road Tax £500, Independent Inspection £200 etc which may cost £----,-- even before you have it back home. (£ are near round up examples and are not accurate)

Simon as Terry said prices of 997.1 are moving up slowly and 997.2 the depreciation is slowing as they are hitting the bottom of the depreciation curve.
You could get into a good gen1 for circa 28k and a good gen 2 for circa 38k depending on mileage and spec that price could be a few K higher or lower.

Chrono is a sports setting with a lap clock on the dash so you get sport on or off this firms the ride and changes the map to a more sporty mode the tip also gets a sports gear change . on the gen2 cars the PDK also gets sports plus with launch control.

If you buy a gen1 with an X51 power kit its 385 bhp over the 355 bhp stock
but they generally command a few K more to buy. there are lots of mods you can do to the gen 1 to get the power up quite easily.

re the exhaust the PSE is an option but if you find a gen 1 you like then £750 would buy you a valvetronic sports cat back set up with a remote control to turn it on or off.

RE THE MAN MATHS and locking up your cash info to pacify the other half

gen1 cost 28k keep for 4 years as a second car so 7k miles pa resale 22/24k minimum ave. depreciation 1k pa maximum more likely with prices moving up that would be zero loss maybe even a small gain. but at worst case mot much money to run a 911 as your toy £280 pa tax and low mileage Insurance for a few pounds a month. service every 20k although I would do oil changes more often than that.

gen2 cost 38k keep 4 years maybe a little higher depreciation but not much, the rest of the numbers are very much the same.

If your financing the purchase then the gen2 will cost more in interest and repayments than the gen1.

Both are very good cars and pretty bullet proof the gen1 has the concern that maybe 10% or so will suffer borescore but that means 90% won't . just get a borescope done circa £200 as part of your ppi and you can be sure you have a good one.then a proper warm up regime staying under 3k rpm until up to temp and regular oil changes maybe change to millers nano oil and fit a low temp thremostat and your good to go.

If your only compromise from the SWMBO is an older cheaper 997.1 then remember pre march 06 cars most had the smaller IMS bearing and you would need to factor 1k for the upgrade as this can be a catastrophic failure if it goes.

hope that helped a bit .

:thumb: :grin:

Wow Phil,

Thats all food for thought and very helpful.

I'm paying cash, was considering around 40k but any less is a bonus. I thought about a gt3 for 60k but its not my bag.

I want manual as its just for highdays and I like changing gears....

I had no idea the tax was £500 a year, Insurance isn't an issue as I'm 46.

I'm not bothered about what the GF says, I just got divorced I just thought it is funny how different we think.

It sounds to me like I'm not going to lose out much although I am king at selling at the wrong time. Sold a 69e, 964 and 993 all just before they took off!

Can I ask why it has to be an S?

The non-S Gen2 is same bhp or very similar to the Gen1 S. I think the non-S Gen2 is in a lower road tax bracket.

I just have a feeling some people want an S so they can have the S badge on the back, whereas others are looking for specific spec only available on the S?

Best of luck with the hunting!

mostlyd said:
Wow Phil,

Thats all food for thought and very helpful.

I'm paying cash, was considering around 40k but any less is a bonus. I thought about a gt3 for 60k but its not my bag.

I want manual as its just for highdays and I like changing gears....

I had no idea the tax was £500 a year, Insurance isn't an issue as I'm 46.

I'm not bothered about what the GF says, I just got divorced I just thought it is funny how different we think.

It sounds to me like I'm not going to lose out much although I am king at selling at the wrong time. Sold a 69e, 964 and 993 all just before they took off!

re the tax what many are doing that have a fair weather toy are sorning it over winter as its a 2 min job online now to sorn or tax it etc. so a few quid can be saved if you can be bothered :grin:
If you have 40k cash its doing nothing in the bank at the moment, so you could get into a nice reasonable mileage gen2 S 385 bhp and lose very little over 4 year ownership or maybe if you are doing low mileage with it then get a higher mileage one that will be low or ave mileage when you sell it and you will probably not lose a penny on it maybe even make a few quid . just the tax, ins and maintenance. So you would have a car like a gen2 for a few years effectively for free. That has to make the grin factor even bigger. :thumb: :grin:
whether you buy a gen1 for 28/30k or a gen2 for 38/40k using it as a weekend toy you are not going to lose much if any on either.

You have owned a few Porsche so you know it's not all about the max bhp its a lot to do with how its set up where in the power band the power is delivered and what you have done to the handling that gives the biggest grins and there are many mods that can maximise these things that can be put back to stock at selling time. :thumb:

"I'm not bothered what the GF says". Fantastic....until you start feeling frisky!

Anyway, I was probably in a similar position to you a few months ago. I fancied a car, don't need one, so bought a sub 40k miles, fully loaded Gen 1 C4S.

I wanted something cool, fun and something that hopefully wouldn't depreciate much...other than eating ins and tax which is £1k.

Not done 100 miles yet, but loving every one of them. Not bike fast but great fun...and make sure you've PSE, triples the grin factor.

This is def good feedback.

Regarding the S I just can't see the point of not getting one?

I currently have a fair bit of cash in the bank. I don't want an older Porsche as I don't have a garage at the moment. I do however have an empty drive. I'm guessing the only modern car I can buy that is appreciating is a gt3 and I think that might be too hard core for me even in comfort spec.

I would buy a 997.1 but I couldn't live with the engine stress.

Simon

As you're budget seems to allow it have you considered a 997 Turbo or a GTS?

Both would probably be depreciation proof and about as reliable as you could wish for.

The Turbo is bonkers quick but more refined than a GT3 and the GTS is widely recognised as the best 997 Carrera.

If you could go upto £60k, I would go GTS all day long.

With your £40k budget, I would go Gen 2 all the way - better engine and massive update inside too.

The other thing to consider is a well looked after 993?

Have fun!

mostlyd said:
I would buy a 997.1 but I couldn't live with the engine stress.
Simon

I've been having similar paranoid thoughts recently about the potential engine issues on my 997.1

However, I spoke with one of the guys at Porschtek on Friday and he has gone a long way to calming my fears by giving a good detailed explanation of the potential problems and simple steps that can be taken as preventative action.

I now feel much less stressed about it and will be sure to enjoy the experience instead of worrying!

£800 for Insurance?! ignore that unless you're a teenager. I drive a 997.2 non-S for £300 Insurance (I'm 'only' in my mid 30s). I had an S quoted for Insurance at much the same. And as someone says, it's only £290 tax on similar bhp to a .1 S (and faster on PDK to 60 either way)

JPSH what did they say about measures to be taken to help discount possible engine probs in the Gen 1?
I have an early Gen 1 low temp stat was the first job, annual oil changes using 5/40, kept under 3k until the oil is up,to temp, I have also fitted a 3rd radiator kit and have had a good chat with someone today about water wetter in the coolant which keeps block temps down.
Another good tip,is not to labour the engine and accelerate from low revs, I give mine the beans over 3 k and will drop down a gear to get it there before accelerating.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back