Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Blunder

Windy101

My 997 GT3 was recently in for a service where porsche identified a very small oil leak which they wanted to fix (under warranty).

This involved taking the engine out but was a minor leak from the oil filter return tube.

When I got the car back they told me to keep an eye on the coolant level. After around 100miles the coolant light came on - so I stopped and topped up - 2 minutes later the coolant was pouring out.

I had to arrange to get the car uplifted and taken to the OPC - who, after inspetion have admitted fault (incorrectly fitted coolant pipe) and agreed to pay for the recovery of my vehicle.

What I would opinions of is - should I just accept that mistakes happen and move on - or should I be looking to make a more formal complaint - and look for some sort of compensation.

Windy101 said:
My 997 GT3 was recently in for a service where porsche identified a very small oil leak which they wanted to fix (under warranty).

This involved taking the engine out but was a minor leak from the oil filter return tube.

When I got the car back they told me to keep an eye on the coolant level. After around 100miles the coolant light came on - so I stopped and topped up - 2 minutes later the coolant was pouring out.

I had to arrange to get the car uplifted and taken to the OPC - who, after inspetion have admitted fault (incorrectly fitted coolant pipe) and agreed to pay for the recovery of my vehicle.

What I would opinions of is - should I just accept that mistakes happen and move on - or should I be looking to make a more formal complaint - and look for some sort of compensation.

considering the potential damage that could have been caused had you not been so vigil and been hooning , I would be asking them to place a credit on your account towards your next service , the reality is it would only cost them the parts as the labour is their cost built in so you would feel correctly compensated with a gesture worth £400 to you that would actually only cost them £150 at trade for the parts, a win all round. :thumb:

Coolant pipe is cliped in place and held there by a spring .. sometimes it can clip in .. you hear it but only one side actually clips in properly .. this can when under full pressure blow off .

Its an easy .. not sure mistake is the correct word .. but its easy enough to do .. usually it happens to the mechanic on road test .. ive done it myself many years ago .. turned off car , phoned garage and had to be recovered .. very .. very embarressing .. no chance of damage to the car in that sort of occassion though .

Compensation .. well im going to be biased here as usual lol .. the mechanic .. and i know this very well would have got a good kicking from his manager .. any cost would be taken from the workshop and he could possibly have cost all the mechanics a bonus payment on that month . ..

we do tend to make their lives pretty miserable in that sort of situation .

Things do sometimes go wrong ... in any trade .

Your choice though .

Personal opinion - I'd be writing a formal letter of complaint, especially after they've told you to keep an eye on your coolant level - or in other words - we've bodged the job and the coolant system may be wrong, but we'll let you find that out if we have.

With regards to wanting compensation - unless you're out of pocket in some way, don't be a cheapskate.

alex yates said:
Personal opinion - I'd be writing a formal letter of complaint, especially after they've told you to keep an eye on your coolant level - or in other words - we've bodged the job and the coolant system may be wrong, but we'll let you find that out if we have.

With regards to wanting compensation - unless you're out of pocket in some way, don't be a cheapskate.

Thats exactly what a friend of mine who owns a garage said. 'Keep an eye on the coolant' = it may be loosing some or may be some air - we cant be bothered to find out properly.

As far as cost - its has not cost me any money, but has cost us a lot of time and hastle.

Tell them how you feel in a formal letter, to the person above the person in charge of the place you went (eg. head of OPC UK) and let them decide how they want to deal with the issue. Proof will be in the pudding what sort of organisation they are.

I would put in for whiplash.... or coolant splash.....

Compensation culture. Each to their own. I would however like to think that the dealership would have extended their hand and offered you something if even just the espresso set of Porsche cups :D .

I paid out £4,000+ to a well known independand Porsche dealership and had my car recovered the same day due to their negligence or new part failure (which ever side of the fence you are on).

These things happen.

Pip

I would veer to the "these things happen" thinking, but in sending the OPC principle my feedback on what had happened, I'd end with wording that gave them every opportunity to make gesture of goodwill. As said already, you'll then know what sort of outfit you're dealing with. Not that you'd every know I guess, but if they choose to show you no gesture, but at the same time gave the mechanic a kicking that would be all bad in my book.

As long as they picked up any expense incurred for collection of car etc if put it down to experience.

Thanks for your input everybody. I will update the thread with any developments.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back