Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So I Lowered My Porsche..

P1SDW

Trainee
Hi all,

I have been a little quiet here recently due to work and other things going on.

Last Thursday I dropped my car off with Jaz Porsche St.Albans to have my H&R 20mm lowering springs fitted along with a fast road geometry set up and to also have a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports fitted. Some of you may ask why I decided to do this to a car of this calibre, some will be keen to see the pics of the before and after and some will want to know if there was any improvement..

Why did I do it?

Ok first up I have to admit, I really didn't like the way the car handled stock. I was on the basic Pirelli P Zero tyre courtesy of Porsche which I know was half my battle. My car would understeer followed by a huge oversteer. Sadly my A45 was A LOT better. I found the car to be a little un settled mind corner too, I could never build any confidence. I looked into lowering after being in 2 friends 997.2 Turbo's and Turbo S who where on the H&R. I chose the MPSS as I have used them on my previous cars. I saw a huge .5 of a second gain on my 0-60 with my A45. Stock with its Dunlops was 4.5, stock with the MPSS was 4.0. Lets see if history was to repeat itself.

First Impressions?

Wow... the car is so much softer than the stock springs. Even with the PASM activated, it's so much better than before - even on a terrible Hertfordshire road. Road noise.. wheres it gone? The MPSS are so quiet! I have kept stock sizes to ensure correct fitment along with not upsetting the AWD system. Turn in is lovely and direct, feedback through the steering wheel is in real time, the level of grip is incredible... It's what it should have been from the factory!

I decided to do a launch on a private test track on the Autobahn in Mexico on Mars.. as you do.. ha! I do not run my VBOX with role out on. I run a true 0-60 - not 4-60! My previous best times at Terminal Velocity in 26 degree heat where 3.3 to 60. I ran the car again with the MPSS in a 16 degree heat to see something quite amazing...

I have managed to break into the 2's stock! This is purely down to grip and having more contact with road on launch. Stock cars lift like crazy you will see in a previous post I did at Santa Pod. Now this has gone and the 235's stay on the ground to help the big 305 brothers out.

We are now at 2.9 0-60 - again no role out.

A big thanks to Jaz Porsche for a great job. I dropped the car off Thursday, they had it all done ready for the evening. They advised me they wanted it to settle over night before doing the fast road set up. I was worried my top mounts would need replacing as this seems really common but luckily mines ok. The next day I had a call mid morning to say it was done and the rest is history.

If you are thinking about doing this to your car then I hope I have helped answer any questions you may have had.

- Steve

PS: more toys arriving next week :D

Attachments

• 0_60_109.jpg
    0_60_109.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 4,271
  • lowered_5_183.jpg
    lowered_5_183.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 4,271
  • lowered_4_184.jpg
    lowered_4_184.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 4,271
  • lowered_3_346.jpg
    lowered_3_346.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 4,271
  • lowered_2_154.jpg
    lowered_2_154.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 4,272
  • lowered_1_207.jpg
    lowered_1_207.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 4,272
  • stock_height_3_165.jpg
    stock_height_3_165.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 4,272
  • stock_height_2_119.jpg
    stock_height_2_119.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 4,271
  • stock_height_1_132.jpg
    stock_height_1_132.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 4,271
Looks great Bud. :thumb:

Looks awesome and surprised to hear the road noise is better and the ride is softer. Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed write up :)

I'm getting mine done hopefully next wk- got some warranty work which requires dropping the front suspension. Whilst I'm half way there I might as well fit some h&r springs. Looks much better- I must say I know what you mean about mid corner confidence. Not sure if it's me or I'm still not used to driving a Porsche!!
And for the record it's on brand new tyres and had the geo done.

P1SDW said:
Hi all,

I have been a little quiet here recently due to work and other things going on.

Last Thursday I dropped my car off with Jaz Porsche St.Albans to have my H&R 20mm lowering springs fitted along with a fast road geometry set up and to also have a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports fitted. Some of you may ask why I decided to do this to a car of this calibre, some will be keen to see the pics of the before and after and some will want to know if there was any improvement..

Why did I do it?

Ok first up I have to admit, I really didn't like the way the car handled stock. I was on the basic Pirelli P Zero tyre courtesy of Porsche which I know was half my battle. My car would understeer followed by a huge oversteer. Sadly my A45 was A LOT better. I found the car to be a little un settled mind corner too, I could never build any confidence. I looked into lowering after being in 2 friends 997.2 Turbo's and Turbo S who where on the H&R. I chose the MPSS as I have used them on my previous cars. I saw a huge .5 of a second gain on my 0-60 with my A45. Stock with its Dunlops was 4.5, stock with the MPSS was 4.0. Lets see if history was to repeat itself.

First Impressions?

Wow... the car is so much softer than the stock springs. Even with the PASM activated, it's so much better than before - even on a terrible Hertfordshire road. Road noise.. wheres it gone? The MPSS are so quiet! I have kept stock sizes to ensure correct fitment along with not upsetting the AWD system. Turn in is lovely and direct, feedback through the steering wheel is in real time, the level of grip is incredible... It's what it should have been from the factory!

I decided to do a launch on a private test track on the Autobahn in Mexico on Mars.. as you do.. ha! I do not run my VBOX with role out on. I run a true 0-60 - not 4-60! My previous best times at Terminal Velocity in 26 degree heat where 3.3 to 60. I ran the car again with the MPSS in a 16 degree heat to see something quite amazing...

I have managed to break into the 2's stock! This is purely down to grip and having more contact with road on launch. Stock cars lift like crazy you will see in a previous post I did at Santa Pod. Now this has gone and the 235's stay on the ground to help the big 305 brothers out.

We are now at 2.9 0-60 - again no role out.

A big thanks to Jaz Porsche for a great job. I dropped the car off Thursday, they had it all done ready for the evening. They advised me they wanted it to settle over night before doing the fast road set up. I was worried my top mounts would need replacing as this seems really common but luckily mines ok. The next day I had a call mid morning to say it was done and the rest is history.

If you are thinking about doing this to your car then I hope I have helped answer any questions you may have had.

- Steve

PS: more toys arriving next week :D

Steve the cars looks great, I do like cars with little coloured accents :grin:
the review sounds perfect and your right the mpss are very quiet on the road, I find the same as you the handling and confidence it gives you makes the car quicker. are you adding spacers also looks like you could get 5/7mm front and 12/15mm rear. Great review on some great mods it you like the way it feels now then I give it a month or so before your fitting semi solid engine mounts and transmission mount inserts :thumb: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
the review sounds perfect and your right the mpss are very quiet on the road, I find the same as you the handling and confidence it gives you makes the car quicker. are you adding spacers also looks like you could get 5/7mm front and 12/15mm rear. Great review on some great mods it you like the way it feels now then I give it a month or so before your fitting semi solid engine mounts and transmission mount inserts :thumb: :grin:

Evening Phil,

Thanks for the kind words. I do all the vinyl stuff myself. No spacers here mate, I'm on the centre locks. Im happy with the set up now.

Also a little thing to add.. I have found running the tyres 4psi less than recommend all round equates to the right PSI when hot. For example I run 40psi cold which expands to 44psi hot - thus making the car handle nicer. I found going for 44psi cold they expand to much causing the tyre to be to firm and skip across the road.

P1SDW said:
Phil 997 said:

Evening Phil,

Thanks for the kind words. I do all the vinyl stuff myself. No spacers here mate, I'm on the centre locks. Im happy with the set up now.

Also a little thing to add.. I have found running the tyres 4psi less than recommend all round equates to the right PSI when hot. For example I run 40psi cold which expands to 44psi hot - thus making the car handle nicer. I found going for 44psi cold they expand to much causing the tyre to be to firm and skip across the road.

Hi Steve , Yes sorry mate didn't spot the centre locks, very interesting you mention the 4 psi and I will check mine and adjust. is the yellow S on the rear, vinyl as well or have you wrapped /painted it :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
P1SDW said:
Phil 997 said:

Evening Phil,

Hi Steve , Yes sorry mate didn't spot the centre locks, very interesting you mention the 4 psi and I will check mine and adjust. is the yellow S on the rear, vinyl as well or have you wrapped /painted it :thumb:

They are made from a vinyl - GT2RS inspired. I made them myself including the door ones. Porsche wanted £72 each for them in a solid colour. The S is in 2 pieces - outer S is black and the inner being yellow.

Lovely car :thumb:

I am thinking my next mod will be new springs and lowering, will probably wait until I need new tyres. Sort of wishing my Bridgestones would wear away a little quicker so I can get some MPSSs soon!

P1SDW said:
Phil 997 said:
P1SDW said:
Phil 997 said:

Evening Phil,

They are made from a vinyl - GT2RS inspired. I made them myself including the door ones. Porsche wanted £72 each for them in a solid colour. The S is in 2 pieces - outer S is black and the inner being yellow.

I wondered how you had got the outer black , looks very nice good job mate. :thumb: :grin:

DucatiRob said:
Lovely car :thumb:

I am thinking my next mod will be new springs and lowering, will probably wait until I need new tyres. Sort of wishing my Bridgestones would wear away a little quicker so I can get some MPSSs soon!

I know the feeling. My pirellis have 7mm all round but they just aren't man enough for the car in stock form - let alone more. I have a second set of the stock wheels they will go on. Bite the bullet and make your car great :)

Mr02ard said:
I'm getting mine done hopefully next wk- got some warranty work which requires dropping the front suspension. Whilst I'm half way there I might as well fit some h&r springs. Looks much better- I must say I know what you mean about mid corner confidence. Not sure if it's me or I'm still not used to driving a Porsche!!
And for the record it's on brand new tyres and had the geo done.

Now is the perfect time :)

Visually that's a big improvement sits really nice now :grin:

Need to get mine done.

Will send you PM.

Thanks

Awesome write up and sits so much better. I have the Aerokit and wonder whether I'd be forever scraping front lip!

What are the ideal pressures for front and rear for the turbo s??

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back