Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP!

cbr6dc

Montreal
currently stuck at petrol station - gearbox refuses to disengage park with brake pedal down. Starts and revs fine.

Can select a gear on first ignition and starts in neutral but can't start it in gear.

Breakdown on way but any tricks to try!?

No error message on the dash.

Cheers for the link.
I've got breakdown coming. Seems like it could be a switch?

If they tow it they can't tow it in neutral can they? Tip tronic.

Or should the engine be running?

Does the gear selection indicator in the instrument binnacle (ie right of rev counter) correctly state the gear you are in? (PNRD1234)

In which case the position sensor (multi-function switch) is probably iffy (broken, dislodged or dirty).

Is the gear selector free moving or does it feel stiff ?

The position sensor may be cleaned and re-oiled to det rid of debris etc.

If this doesn't sort it, the cables may need adjusting.

Base of gear selector lever:

post-4000-1240162406.jpg

Breakdown guy was fantastic. P G Motors in Leicester.

Think it's a wire from gearbox to ignition? If I held the button down on the gear lever and started the car it would move gear fine. As soon as I let go of the button the button wouldn't work.

Didn't fix it but found a workaround to get me home and to a garage.

PS yes, with ignition on 1 I could move it through all gears and it would show right perfectly ok.

So I've got it narrowed down to:

Spring in gearlever button it works in ignition 1 so not sure?

Brake lever switch - brake lights work but if the switch has broken it's a possibility?

Bowin cable on the gear shifter on the gear lever and gearbox which apparently is a safety device but can be removed stopping this happening again?

So the car problem I had has been resolved by doing..... Absolutely nothing! Must be a sensor when the car engine gets red hot which was my original theory.... I don't know lol. It's an improvement over how the last few weeks have gone lol....

cbr6dc said:
So the car problem I had has been resolved by doing..... Absolutely nothing! Must be a sensor when the car engine gets red hot which was my original theory.... I don't know lol. It's an improvement over how the last few weeks have gone lol....

I would still look at getting it fixed, if you don't, you know it will rear it's ugly head again at the most inconvenient time possible. Get the codes read and get that faulty part changed 😁

Agreed. They don't go into lockdown without a reason.
This time it cleared itself. The next time...... :?:

Better to have it looked at and sorted.

Taken it for run out. I will get codes read though. Can they look at the history of fault codes or does it have to happen there?

It seems to be fine now but like you say I'm worried about it happening again.

I've answered a similar post to this not long ago ... In that case my feeling was the gear linkage was stiff and when in park it was putting load on the release solinoid , op found that allowing the car to roll against the park lock free this and he could then engage gear.

Not what I'm suggesting but a stiff gear linkage could cause this ... Along with brake pedal switch and a faulty gear lock solinoid .. Mentioned above I think .. Half the posts are blanked out for me ATM .. Internet here ain't good .. Looking forward to going home lol

You won't get any codes for this type of fault if its as above , tip will only monitor internal faults

So I can't get codes read anyway?
Well, thanks for saving me £100... I can put that towards the 1hr that would buy me lol.

Think I've figured out that it is temperature sensitive as it happened a few times today after a long time in traffic. I'm thinking it's some kind of sensor on the engine somewhere.

Also kept stalling again. Can hear like a continuous whine and then the revs die.

That doesn't sound great, I know very little about the Tip gearbox (apart from it being a modified box you might also find in a merc) so am not in a place to really give you that much info. Sounds like a decent indy might be able to diagnose and fix it quite easily if it is something as simple as a sensor.

Cross your fingers that whatever it is that is needed is one that is the right side of the Porsche parts lottery.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back