Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CTEK charger heating up.

Tombri

Nurburgring
I have recently bought a CTEK MFS 5.0 charger. It gets really quite warm whilst charging up the battery.

Is this normal? Is it OK or might there be something amiss?? :?:

I have the same model charger and it gets warm whilst charging but cools down completely when it drops back to maintenance mode.

Curious2 said:
I have the same model charger and it gets warm whilst charging but cools down completely when it drops back to maintenance mode.

Exactly the same behaviour with my CTEK charger.

Believe that there is a built-in thermistor which will prevent a total over-heat and melt-down.

And mine, and sure is noisy as well !!

All perfectly normal.

& mine !! :grin:

DRZ911 said:
Curious2 said:

Exactly the same behaviour with my CTEK charger.

Believe that there is a built-in thermistor which will prevent a total over-heat and melt-down.
h

Where do you connect the charger/conditioner? I'm hoping to get a 991.1 C4S and hadn't really given any thought to the trickle charger set up. Is there an easy access point to the battery connectors?

Is easy to access under the front boot lid

Usual place to charge from is the always live 12V socket in the passenger footwell. Charger cable goes between door sill and door rubber seal with no problem.

I don't know if it's the same as the 997 but just a word of warning that the footwell socket and cigarette lighter cannot be used interchangeably. May be fine for Ctek but if you ever use your tyre compressor only connect to cig lighter. I managed to blow a fuse plugging it into the footwell and have since stuck a note inside the compressor case so I don't do it again!

Apologies for the thread hijack - just thought it worth mentioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back