Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Having to consider the unpalatable but there has to be hope?

Benjs

Montreal
For 7 months i've loved owning my 997 but i've hit a problem and it may have to go. Basically it was going to be used as a daily by my other half and my fun weekend toy. Long story short is my wife now has her own car and the 997 spends more time on charge than actually going anywhere as we moved house and every extra penny and hour is spent on that. Essentially not such a bad thing BUT with service, tax and Insurance it's £1500 and depreciation will be adding at least the same again and that's money i can't really afford to loose ATM (kitchens are mighty expensive). I'll get it put back to standard spec (only swapped the head unit and amp, but that cost a small fortune so i can't be giving it away). Then i've got to look down the barrel and sell i guess. I still want a weekend toy but it will have to cost less and i can't see me being happy going back to a 996. I'd look at a cayman or a boxster to but i feel i may just regret them the same. I know it's first world problems but has anyone done similar and did you just have nothing or find a good albeit less expensive alternative?

I appreciate your predicament but I'd stick with what you've got. If it's a toy it needs to be a bit special. I doubt that you'd use an older/lesser car any more than you do the 997 so why bother settling for second best when you do.

'Depreciation' probably isn't as big an issue as you're fearing and the new on-line tax facility means that you can tax* and re-tax* your car at 5 minutes notice.

NB: Make sure to do this at the start (for taxing) and end of each month (for SORNing).

How about an old high mileage but well serviced [cheap] Boxster S? You will then avoid competing with the 997 as its just a cheap thrasher that will give you plenty of fun when you get time to wheel it out.
It will be refreshing knowing you can park it anywhere and drive it an any conditions without giving too much of a hoot.
#bl00dykitchens

T8 said:
I appreciate your predicament but I'd stick with what you've got. If it's a toy it needs to be a bit special. I doubt that you'd use an older/lesser car any more than you do the 997 so why bother settling for second best when you do.

'Depreciation' probably isn't as big an issue as you're fearing and the new on-line tax facility means that you can tax* and re-tax* your car at 5 minutes notice.

NB: Make sure to do this at the start (for taxing) and end of each month (for SORNing).

I have sort of looked at the taxing and that could save a few quid, however the not insignificant elephant in the room will be the £25k+ (minus a weekend fun car) getting dusty in the garage

Scholester said:
How about an old high mileage but well serviced [cheap] Boxster S? You will then avoid competing with the 997 as its just a cheap thrasher that will give you plenty of fun when you get time to wheel it out.
It will be refreshing knowing you can park it anywhere and drive it an any conditions without giving too much of a hoot.
#bl00dykitchens

I'd had discounted this as it felt it would be just like driving the 996 which broke often (never horrendously) and the inevitable back ground thought that you are just one revolution away from the IMS lunching the fun. But maybe i should try one

Hi Benjs,
I did exactly that 2 years ago. Bought an old house in our dream village (well one of them) and even though I'd done a few houses up before so had an idea about things, this one bled us dry from the word go. Full re-roof £10k, all ground floors dug up to 15 inches deep and re-laid.... and that's before you get to the rejigging of the layout, RSJs, doors, windows and a kitchen etc, etc.

Basically I ended up backed into a corner so my Mk1 GT3 CS had to go. Gutted.
Anyway, over winter I scrimped and saved and got back into a 996.1 c2 manual coupe. Even while I had my GT3 a mate had a fettled, aerokitted C2 and I always thought as a road car, why did I have so much extra tied up in the GT3?
I bought my car in March and I've only done 200 miles since and 120 of those were driving it home. Why? Well because the house still takes up every weekend and every spare hour of my time. Onto the fun stuff now though like driveway, garage doors, you know all the finishing touches and cosmetic things.

So I'd say sell the car so you can focus on the house and make it spot on. Once it's done you'll have 5 or ten years where you don't need to lift a finger or visit a DIY store again (or is that wishful thinking). ;)
Cars come and go and while they are nice to have they don't matter when compared with your home.

From a personal point of view I'd say don't rush finding a replacement if you aren't going to have time to use it. I could have waited to buy mine although at least the search is over now and I have a nice car waiting for when I have time for it.

Does the c2 compare to the GT3. Yes and no. Cabin, steering and a fair bit of the car are very similar. Top end shriek missing but with an air filter and Dansks the c2 still sounds great.
It doesn't excite me like the GT3 as I know I'm not driving around a piece of Motorsport heritage and it doesn't have Aerokit.

I have GT3 wheels to go on next year and I've just sourced a complete Aerokit for it so it will look like my old gt3. I can't get away with an unkitted 996, I never could.
If after all that it doesn't excite me enough I may let it go and change for something totally different like a Caterham or go back to Sportsbikes.

So briefly -
Did I sell a car I loved for the house? Yes
Have I replaced it? Yes
Do I like the replacement as much? Of course not
Should I have even hurried to replace it? Probably not
Any regrets? Hell no. Home comes first, cars just fall into place. When I pull up at home after a hard days work, to a lovely house in a beatiful area, I know I made the right choice.

I'm 38 so I'll get back up the ladder again. No rush.
Good luck with everything.
:thumb:

Edited to add - Wow that didn't feel as long as I wrote it. Apologies. :dont know:

Never apologize for the length :D

Our project is way smaller than yours, but with walls coming down etc its probably in the same % ballpark as my c2s to your gt3

I think my main worry is the old chestnut of if i sell it i just can't see me saving up for anything as good in a long time (two girls one already 17 both wanting university and housing) and whilst i'm only just the right side of 45 will i really prioritise this in my late 50's :?: I suppose it's the letting go of the dream bit.

But you are right, pulling up to the house each day, even though it seems like a huge hungry mouth at the moment does make way more sense even if it is in my everyday tank

Ben, my 2p mate, get yourself a nice 10/12k 996 that you can fettle and enjoy as Marky's mate did , your still in a 911 and many prefer them to the 997 anyway as a more raw driving experience, you can still enjoy a good hoon and go to meets and porsche stuff . it would not depreciate in fact would probably do the opposite, so better than money in the bank at present.
Cheap road tax, go for limited mileage ins at your age on a 996 should be pence. so you end up with a 911 in the garage for fun days and tinkering that is going up in price at a greater rate than the cost of limited mileage ins and cheap road tax , its always there as a saleable asset should the need arise and still frees up a wedge for the gaff. a good compromise to my mind.
And if your putting your 997 back to stock let us know about the bits your selling. :thumb:
If my 997 was not my daily but a fun toy, I would almost definitely not lock up as much and have a 996 as the toy. :thumb:

2.7 Boxster 986, they are fantastic fun. Don't dismiss them, have a chat with people on PCGB and see if someone is selling theirs. Cheaper to buy, insure and shouldn't fall in depreciation.

:thumb:

I'd be inclined to come out of the 911/Porsche all together until you get the house sorted. You 'could' end up with an unexpected bill, you'll still want to service it annually to keep the history up, still need to insure it etc etc.

Standard 997 prices will continue to drop (OK not by much) but I'd wager they'll be cheaper in a few years time and less than what yours is now.

If you need another car buy a cheap diesel snotter that's capable of taking shoite to the tip :thumb:

If you have £25k tied up in the current car, you won't be saving much if you try to replace it with another Porsche. Unless you get a cheap Boxster like Kas on here did (£1500). Sell it and get another in a few years would probably be the way to go. Or keep it, I don't think there's anything in between.

The day a kitchen presides over a 911 is when this forum turns into a domestic science site.

I'm on the right side of 45 (by 1 hour and 3 minutes) but the day I don't do the things I want and have will be way beyond 46!

What do you want Ben?

Sell and put the money into the house.
Holding the car will still cost you even if you font drive it:
Servicing
MOT (presume you'd need VED for part of the year for these two activities)
Insurance
Non routine service items requiring replacement or repair
Time to stay on top of it washing and keeping it looking good

There will be time a plenty for Porsche later in life

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back