Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

South of France in 2 and a bit days, back in 1 day. Mental?

tyinsky

Suzuka
A couple of meetings and a photoshoot have fell nicely on my calendar to be a Monday and Tuesday meaning I could leave work late afternoon Friday bo break the back of the Journey from London and aim to get to Reims or Troyes that evening leaving me with the whole weekend to get to Nice via the Alpes in the 993. With photographer and the rear seats full of photography equipment.

My loose thinking is to stay up in the Alpes on the Saturday then drive down into Monaco via the Col du Turini on the Sunday, arriving in Nice not too late so we are not ***** for the two days work ahead.

The return Journey will be tough. Has to be done in a day, from Nice to London. And of course I want to do it via Route Napoléon.

Realise this must sound utterly mental to some, perhaps even as madcap as using some upholstery wipes and some leather products on my interior, but I'm doing it anyway. Others here will have done this journey so any advice clearly welcome. :eek:ld:

Before I leave the car has a new A/C compressor going in, however I doubt there will be time to sort out the Nokia distorting speakers.

:drive:

Not that mental really, I used to take a Luton van down to Airbus in Toulouse and be there and back in 26 hours with a quick kip on the ferry. Cab used to stick of red bull mind.

But then I have driven to China so maybe my tolerances are different.

Don't underestimate the distance....adding the detours Alps/Turini/Napoleon will mean you will be having some very long days in the saddle and you need your wits about you on some of those hairpins. I guarantee there will be phases where you think 'why am I doing this?' especially with the traffic in August, but hopefully you'll look back on it as an epic adventure rather than a slog. The last thing I want to do is put someone off using their Porsche as intended so please don't think I'm raining on your parade...just be prepared to alter the route if and when.

Peace of plss. Do it all the time. Last September I did st trop to blackburn in one do. 1100 miles and stops only for food and plss.

Think poppopbang (whatever) holds the record at around 1400 miles non stop: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106445

Best advice I and others who travel to France and use our 911's is as Bob has written, don't underestimate the size of France. As soon as you get off a Toll road it can seem like an absolute age getting anywhere. I have a property outside of La Rochelle and it takes about 6hrs sitting about 90mph - 110mph in cruise control (praying that the French police are not sat en route).

We've even tried using the High Speed Cat from Portsmouth to Le Havre and then the roads due South & it takes hours and hours, try 14hrs, never again.

A little trip through the Pyrenees mountains one day and we only did a 1/4 of our planned adventure, going up & down and round sharp hairpins, and i slept like a log that night back in Biarritz Hotel.

If you're going a distance in France, keep the MPH high, stop only for fuel and stay on the toll roads. If you don't think the car can take that, then seriously rethink.

The best thing about how toll roads is they are always dead and you can cover serious mileage. As for coast to London in a day, I've done it once from Monaco, never again. It's like driving from Newquay to the Shetlands and then some more, high concentration at speed, and fighting the fatigue.

Good luck :thumb:

alex yates said:
Peace of plss. Do it all the time. Last September I did st trop to blackburn in one do. 1100 miles and stops only for food and plss.

Think poppopbang (whatever) holds the record at around 1400 miles non stop: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106445

My point was - it's the additions to the route that can take up a lot of time....the mind numbing autoroute slog on its own isn't much fun apart from bragging rights that you're able to drive 1100 miles in one go (well done!).....so was suggesting to just be flexible and alter route accordingly. Time pressures can sadly take away the fun of the best bits.

All comments and experience welcome :thumb:

This may be a mix of both as I have a late afternoon to evening and two days to reach Nice, I then have to work for two days before driving back, which I probably only have one day for.

Some thinking and planning to be done...

:D

Riviera Bob said:
alex yates said:

My point was - it's the additions to the route that can take up a lot of time....the mind numbing autoroute slog on its own isn't much fun apart from bragging rights that you're able to drive 1100 miles in one go (well done!).....so was suggesting to just be flexible and alter route accordingly. Time pressures can sadly take away the fun of the best bits.

Apologies Bob (and anyone else), I wasn't meaning to belittle anyone's comments or trying to brag, etc. Point I was getting at is that, although it's an epic distance to travel, it's easily doable. These southern guys don't know how lucky they are, I have an extra 4 - 5 hours extra through the UK once they're home......and believe me, driving from the M25 to Lancashire is the worst part of the trip.

I was talking to a couple 2 years ago one Sunday morning who'd bought a property in Gassin and were moving all their stuff down from London. The husband did it on his own and hired a transit van for a few days. He did the lot in 2 trips, back to back, with no proper stops in between. Just loaded the van, drove down, emptied it, drove back, loaded the van, drove down, emptied it and drove back (stopping only for quick power naps and coffee,fuel, etc)...........Now that's mental!

madalaa said:
PeterS said:
What happens if it rains and your car gets wet?

...... that did make me more than chuckle ...... :floor:

Me too :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatandywhite
Back