Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo as an investment?

wiggy

Now there is no point in having money in the bank, do people think a 996 turbo is a good investment opportunity or has that boat well and truly sailed?

Just interested in hearing opinions.

Wig

I think you are about 5 years too late.

MC

+1 on that ^^

That said, they are (IMHO having owned mine over 10 years) still a bargain in terms of reliability, performance, tuneability (made that word up!

:wink: ) and fun compared with other makes and models so although there might be less chance of making big money nowadays, perhaps they will hold their money relatively well in the short to medium term? crystal ball time :?:

(Not that I am fussed as I will never sell mine :cloud9: :cloud9: )

Please don't; everyone who buys a car purely as an investment makes it harder for genuine enthusiasts to buy and enjoy that car. Look at the complete madness that is the 996 GT3 (esp. RS) and most air-cooled stuff (much of which is frankly old crap).

Or, please do and you'll get burned when the correction comes, rightly so.

Nothing wrong with investing in a car, it's a hunk of metal, I don't get the "disallowing the true enthusiast" thing.

EGTE said:
Please don't; everyone who buys a car purely as an investment makes it harder for genuine enthusiasts to buy and enjoy that car. Look at the complete madness that is the 996 GT3 (esp. RS) and most air-cooled stuff (much of which is frankly old crap).

Or, please do and you'll get burned when the correction comes, rightly so.

I can see your point but you could apply that to anything, Art, Houses even Wine!

I don't think you've missed the boat completely, there's still a chance.
I only got mine last year (disclaimer alert).

I feel that the market for them has just retarded a little right now (perhaps due to some rationalisation between 997 turbo prices/other factors) but in a year or so I suspect the 996 will resume it's rise (the turbo more so) and of course in say 10+ years the value will be a far cry from what they are now.

Of course you will have to factor in running costs if buying purely for investment, but I still feel the average yearly increase in value after taking all costs into account will exceed the rate of inflation and interest rates on savings in the bank!.

Go and buy one while you still can...it's a 911 Turbo after all!!

Just my two pence worth...don't shoot :)

Tony

Okay I was being a bit harsh.

If you are going to enjoy the car, great go ahead.

But if it's purely an investment, then it does make it harder for enthusiasts to buy, as you will push (or prop) up the prices.

The big gains have been made already, though, as with most things in this crazy market right now.

If you buy now, you'd be buying at the high price. I think the big jumps have occurred in the last 4 years. How much they will climb and the gradient are
anyone's guess.

Look where 993 prices and the 993 Turbo have reached.
Was it possible to predict such rises 10/15 years ago?

what your aspirations for return on investment?

If your happy with breaking even then an intelligent 996 turbo purchase will do just that worst case scenario, best case if your running costs are low you may make a reasonable return in the mid term (all proportional with inflation of course) considering total cost of ownership.

buy the right car and you can't really loose, just be prepared to be in it for circa 5 years, getting out sooner may not yeild anything or maybe even a small loss

caveat: economic volatility and market behaviour does introduce some risk of course

If it's mainly an investment 996 that you are wanting, a GT3 might be better. Regardless of which is the better car or most suitable for you, the GT3s are rarer and so have the "trophy" quality that should give better investment prospects. With the market having cooled recently and few sensibly priced cars coming to market, it could be an opportune time to invest at a better value price point. Old turbos will always appreciate longer term, but the highest risers are the racey specials.

If you're after a turbo because you want one and are going to drive it, then fine. If you want one to make money then I'd say they must be nearing the top of the curve now.

As EGTE alluded to, a lot of dealers and speculators have jumped on the turbo wagon looking to make a fast buck and it's been fine for a few years - the cars were undervalued and they could just sell them on for a fairly secure profit. but at the end as speculators start to get nervous the cycle needs customers to want to buy these cars at the end. I think we're nearing the stage when 996 turbos don't look like great value anymore. Speculators will obviously continue to try to push prices up so that they don't get caught with their pants down and you can see supply drying up trying to keep prices High - but someone has to get caught out in the end

Personally I think £35k is about right for a turbo given what else you can get for the money. I am considering getting one still but struggle to justify paying £15-20k more than they were 5 years ago

skinny_monkey said:
Personally I think £35k is about right for a turbo given what else you can get for the money. I am considering getting one still but struggle to justify paying £15-20k more than they were 5 years ago

I agree with you that, at £35k, a good 996T is about right but if it helps in your justification process I don't think you'll find that a car you'd pay £35k for now was ever available for less than £20k.

The only 996Ts that ever dropped below £20k were 'Cat' cars, cars with 100k+ miles or those with very patchy service history.

T8 said:
skinny_monkey said:

I agree with you that, at £35k, a good 996T is about right but if it helps in your justification process I don't think you'll find that a car you'd pay £35k for now was ever available for less than £20k.

The only 996Ts that ever dropped below £20k were 'Cat' cars, cars with 100k+ miles or those with very patchy service history.

Yep - problem is that now the £35k turbos are generally ropey, good ones are more like £45k + !!

skinny_monkey said:
T8 said:
skinny_monkey said:

Yep - problem is that now the £35k turbos are generally ropey, good ones are more like £45k + !!

As im looking to part ex mine at some point i keep checking pistonheads/opc's. Theres a turbo for sale from an opc for £50k :eek: . Hopefully that means mine would be worth closer to 40 than 30k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back