Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another possible problem..Oil Light

Locosaki

Nurburgring
I took the car out today for a bit of a run as it's not turned a wheel in a few weeks, I was driving quite hard so everything would be fully warmed up, I got the car home and the red oil light came on, oil pressure was just under 1 bar, there's no strange noises etc .

I turned the car off right away and began to think my 7K 911 was about to get costly !!

Anyway I went back out and fired it up after about 10mins and the oil light came back on, I gave the car a slight rev then light went off, oil pressure looked fine, I have since put the car back in the garage and left it ticking over for 20mins and everything has been fine.

The car was last serviced by Porsche Chetser all be it over 1 year ago (6K Miles) I do not know what oil viscosity they use but I do know it's Mobile 1.

I'll give it an oil & filter change and see what happens, the car is high mileage so no real shame to it.

The usual culprit is the pressure gauge and that's down to a faulty sender.
Red light may be low oil level - check your manual and check the oil level.
Cant help further I'm afraid.

I don't want to sound really thick and stupid...........but have you checked your oil level? :?

Sorry guys I should have said, I checked oil level this morning on the dip stick and it's full, the dash display reads full also.

Thanks

I've just been out and re checked oil level (just in case) All is good, the car has sat for just over an hour now so I have just fired it up and it's ticking over now.

No oil light this time, oil pressure is actually a little higher too.(1bar at 80degrees)

I wonder if the fact the engine is high mileage and Porsche have used a 0/40 oil could this be to thin for 150K motor.

As I say, I did give the car a bit of a roasting, oil temp would have been higher than I've ever had it as I've never driven the car hard there fore the oil would be quite a bit thinner this causing lower oil pressure ?

Just a thought ?

Your oil pressure is fine at just under 1 bar after some welly.

Excellent thanks

Well to give this a little follow up, I've since changed the oil and filter to see if this would help with the low oil pressure and red oil light issue I had.

I filled the car up with millers 10/50 same stuff as recommended on here, I took the car out for a spirted drive and when pulling up to a round about the oil light came on and pressure gauge reads almost zero, I gave the car blip of throttle and the light goes back out and gauge reads higher.

I'm working away through a few problems just now so this just adds to the list, I'm aware of the sender so will likely replace this, having read through renlist there seems to be a few people mention a relief valve, I believe it's a piston and spring, anyone got any knowledge of this.

I can't believe it's anything more sinister but again I've not had the car long so you never know.

Cheers

is the pressure gauge dropping to zero? When mine did that, it was a dodgy connection on top on the sensor.
Dead easy to get at, give the contacts a clean and see if that sorts it - it certainly won't hurt :)

Change the sensor .. :)

Standard oil is 0/40 .. for higher milages we tend to use 5/40 .. but im not going to disagree with what anyone says here with reguards to oil .. thats just what we do .

Well I changed the sensor tonight and went out for a blast, operating pressure was spot on but I got the same oil light and low gauge readings when the car was at idle in the garage.

Certainly doesn't look good, I was hoping the sensor would solve this

I cant belive you have had so many difficult problems with one car and it still feels like somehow they are related but im afraid i cant see how :(

You are left with haveing to pressure test the oil system to see if it is actually an engine oil pressure fault or an instrument cluster fault ..

Mind you a cluster fault would seem to tally in with your other problems.

Not many Posts i remember as each tend to be different ... your ones though have had me thinking ....... a lot !

Are the pressure sensor and low pressure light from the same sensor? I would have thought that the light would be from a switch and the pressure from a sensor, but I admit I have never looked. If they are independant it sounds like a real issue.

MC

In all honesty I just assumed it was, 2 wires going to the sender anyway.

Dermot I agree mate, lots of niggly issues that I'm hoping to get to the bottom of, I'm finding it hard to believe there is any real engine issue but I'm no mechanic.

The car actually sounds healthy enough, is there any way of rigging a mechanical pressure gauge up even if it was just to get an accurate reading.

Any idea what oil pressure should be at idle around 90degrees

Any gauge you can connect thats designed for fluid will work as long as it doesnt leak , thats all an oil pressure tester is after all :)

Single sensor does both light and pressure .

Normal at idle at temp would be approx 1 bar / 14 psi , it would be higher when cold but no set figures are listed .

A blockage is possible as is an instrument cluster fault hopeing its one of these .

You need to sort this first i think , a gauge and check pressure .. if it really is dropping that low then it needs sorting asap.

Bearer of possible bad news here i feel :(

On the plus side , no rattles or noises which low pressure would certainly cause i feel .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back