Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When do you change your tires ?

Sulz

Monza
First time 911 owner, my car went in for service a few weeks back and the OPC I would need to change my tires soon.

I said I thought they had plenty of life in them and they said they recommend changing them at when they have 4mm tread left on them.

My experience with my OPC isn't great so thought I would verify it with you fellas here.

When do you change yours?

tyres. :hand:

Before they're illegal. Before they're four years old.
As long as the tyre wear is even and you're comfortable with it then why not get your money's worth?

Legal limit is 2mm but a lot of people change at 4mm due to it being a high performance car that requires good grip for both handling and braking.

New tyres come with 8mm..changing at 4mm would not make sense...specially when the rears alone cost £500! imo

Unless of course they have worn un-even, and bald on the edges..

Legal limit is 1.6mm in UK.
By then, their performance will be notably compromised.
At around 3mm, most tyres are past their best.

Porsche stipulate tyres should be no more than 6 years old ( tyres start to degrade at 5 years ) and should be changed at 3mm of tread .

Its worth checking the date stamp of new tyres supplyed .. i have seen 2 year olds supplyed before.

When the car twitches

Cup 2s only come with 5.5mm from new. I don't usually change until they are below 3mm on the lowest wear point (usually inside track on the rears with my setup). If I'd ever had a set that long I would bin them on age at around 5 years regardless.

Way back before I started using Cups and was doing track days on PS2s I used to throw them away long before wear was a factor due to heat cycles though. When tyres are done and no longer grip properly you can tell, and then you throw them away regardless.

Good grief - there are many answers to this question, but the answer certainly ISN'T when the OPC tells you.

I assume the ultimate answer is before they are 1.6mm illegal or when you notice the rubber cracks becoming deep. Driving style and type of roads you use will be a factor for most, ie taking it out on a Sunday afternoon for a relaxing drive you have a wider allowance or if you're a all weather and motorway speed nut, you might want to rethink about stopping distances & water expelling. There's other factors like if you're going on a driving holiday it's probably not a good idea to set off with 3mm

You'll know when to change your tires just use a bit of grey matter

:thumb:

Demort said:
Porsche stipulate tyres should be no more than 6 years old ( tyres start to degrade at 5 years ) and should be changed at 3mm of tread .

Its worth checking the date stamp of new tyres supplyed .. i have seen 2 year olds supplyed before.

Tyres are made of rubber...would you trust a 6 year old condom.. :floor:

sorry could not resist..

SamUK said:
Demort said:

Tyres are made of rubber...would you trust a 6 year old condom.. :floor:

sorry could not resist..

:floor: :floor: well mate if it hasn't split the first few dozen times you use it, there's a good chance it will go on and on . :grin: :grin: :grin:

change my tyres at about 2.5 mm :thumb:

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to wait a little longer. My car is a weekend car and I don't drive in the rain and don't get the chance to thrash it around to warrant a tyre change sooner.

On a slighlty different note, the 1st half (of tyre depth) wears a lot quicker than the second half so you're only getting say a third of the life out of them changing halfway. not too long ago it was 1mm minimum............when Porsche used to state change at 3.4mm :lol:

Tyre performance is the best it's ever been. Unless you're a complete idiot and do 80mph on the motorway in pouring rain or see how many times you can get the car sideways in the snow, then I'd stick to changing them when they close to the limit, or cracked, or very uneven. It's all common sense really - something OPC or the likes don't dish out.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back