Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A day with the wizard

Chris-mac

Trainee
Today I've been in Warrington with Wayne Schofield (chip wizard) my 993 c4 seemed to drive really well but on the dyno only made 241bhp!! Wayne got to work and set up the throttle and found a vacuum pipe disconnected, which meant the varioram didn't operate correctly. The next run it made 271bhp, then Wayne got to work live remapping the ecu, a few power runs later and 291bhp was achieved, but a smooth and driveable 291. Thanks to Wayne for a brilliant day, he really is on top of his game.
The drive back home to Doncaster was amazing, it's like a different car, all this from a stock engine with no modifications.
:thumb:

Attachments

• image_362.jpeg
    image_362.jpeg
    839.4 KB · Views: 7,678
  • image_791.jpeg
    image_791.jpeg
    559.3 KB · Views: 7,678
  • image_411.jpeg
    image_411.jpeg
    743.4 KB · Views: 7,678
  • image_607.jpeg
    image_607.jpeg
    711.4 KB · Views: 7,678
Obviously the wizard has a few tricks up his sleeve as, like you say, 291bhp is quite a nice little increase. What is quite stupendous is that (once the Varioram vacuum pipe issue was sorted) the car was pulling 271bhp. 20 YEARS later. That's Porsche engineering for you. Oh yes indeedy.

Nice to see some pics too :p

Noticed any nice pops and crackles when coming off the loud pedal :mrgreen:

Sounds like a good day and a greater drive home.

I think that might be the first thing I buy my Targa once it finally comes out of storage when I return to the UK, especially being based on Bolton just around the corner.

Any ball park indication of what a day cost?

2oldn2slow said:
Sounds like a good day and a greater drive home.

I think that might be the first thing I buy my Targa once it finally comes out of storage when I return to the UK, especially being based on Bolton just around the corner.

Any ball park indication of what a day cost?

I'm sure Wayne will quote on an individual basis depending on car, spec and work required but mine cost under £500

Almost identical story to when I went. Varioram leak making it ineffective and 20bhp down on top end. Mine just cracked 300bhp afterwards. Feels like a different car now.
Well worth the money. I also check my varioram solenoids work now after he showed me.

ChrisT70 said:
Almost identical story to when I went. Varioram leak making it ineffective and 20bhp down on top end. Mine just cracked 300bhp afterwards. Feels like a different car now.
Well worth the money. I also check my varioram solenoids work now after he showed me.

Wayne is confident that mine too would reach 300bhp with either shell nitro or tesco 99 instead of the Jet ultimate I'd just refuelled with.

Remap cost

Some great results and a bonus that he found a problem and managed to fix it! I am very surprised that the car has not lost much bhp over the 20 years, but that can only be a good thing!

What are the typical costs for doing this and can it be done to a non-vario engine?

Excellent results so that's 291 at the wheels??, surely not?.

Also why the carrera 4 badge on the back?, had me confused for a second as I thought the front wheels would rip the car from the dyno :hand:

Trev

Re: Remap cost

P996 said:
. . . . can it be done to a non-vario engine?
Sure can!

Wayne sorted my non-vario earlier this year and produced a mighty 313.4 bhp up from 282.3 bhp on delivery to him.
The air temperature was 46 degrees F though.
I'd previously had it dyno'd elsewhere and the engine showed 306.6 bhp on standard DME, but that had been with ambient intake air temp of 36 degrees F.
Personally, the absolute bhp figure isn't what I was searching for (although it is helpful if your pummeling through the air at 165mph + as it did on the Dinslaken jaunt :grin: ), it's all a bit smoke and mirrors to be honest.

What I would say though is that the car pulls far more cleanly without any evident flat spots throughout the power band especially between 4000 and 4500rpm, so that now I get dollops of torque at 4000 rpm, whereas previously the dollops would only manifest themselves at 4500.

My car is never spared being thrashed, it only ever fills up with Mr Shell's finest (I have the Shell app on my iPhone! :thumb: ) and Mr Miller's finest lubricants.

Still my daily driver . . . and is now being washed daily too, 'cos it looks sh*t when its dirty . . . :nooo:

So I would highly recommend Wayne without reservation, top bloke and top result . . . :thumb:

i came away with about 50bhp more with the combined effects of the remap and the wandering ponies being found. its certainly very sharp now above 4k revs, whereas it only felt ok prior.
i'd come from a 500bhp kit car and tbh wasnt looking for a mega quick effect from a 993, it felt ok, it now feels much better.

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Excellent results so that's 291 at the wheels??, surely not?.

Also why the carrera 4 badge on the back?, had me confused for a second as I thought the front wheels would rip the car from the dyno :hand:

Trev

Wayne disconnects the AWD function at the front (hence he charges more for Carrera 4s)
Its not 291 bhp at the wheels, torque is measured at the wheels, and then various correction factors are used to estimate the flywheel bhp, which is what you see on the graph.

An interesting resume of the whole smoke and mirrors thing is her:
http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/dyno-hp-loss-rates.782/

:bandit:

Amazing how many varioram problems are picked up when Wayne remaps. You'd think most of these would be picked up in routine annual servicing, but it seems not.

mohitos said:
Amazing how many varioram problems are picked up when Wayne remaps. You'd think most of these would be picked up in routine annual servicing, but it seems not.

Yep happened to me....and had just come back that week from a full service at a well respected Indy!

Seems like a very productive day :).

Not having had a re-map done before, can you specify characteristics for the new map, i.e. preference for low-to-mid-range punch over extracting top end power?

This is very tempting, but makes sense to have any exhaust work done first, 200 cell cats vs RSR style being the dilemma (expect someone to suggest both :lol: but that would be far too much for a car used 3 or 4 times a week...)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back