Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Motorway charges

oneonealpha

Silverstone
For those contemplating a drive thru Eu. check motor way and congestion charges in Germany Austria and Switzerland fines are on the spot and heavy.
Sorry to those if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs, but it comes from experience from using Austrian motorways without the relevant sticker

Is that the emissions sticker :dont know: A number of us got those when we drove to Stuttgart to comply with city rules. Appear to last the lifetime of the car :?:

Just been looking into this myself, for an upcoming road trip - the German one is the emissions sticker which does last the lifetime of the car, or until you need a new windscreen!!

Got lucky in 2014, as I didn't realise there was a vignette required for Switzerland but didn't get stopped, so did some homework and thought I was fully sorted last year, until I read about the German sticker.

The AA site is pretty useful, as is https://www.tolltickets.com/ even just as a guide, but also for convenience - just ordered for the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovenia, and Hungary to save hunting out stickers on the way..

For Austria, this is useful http://www.asfinag.at/toll - including the map of where to buy the toll stickers, often just as you approach the border.

I was pretty impressed this weekend when a friend mentioned he'd managed to transfer a Swiss vignette between cars without any damage, considering they are designed to self-destruct.. :worship:

You can normally get the Swiss ones at the borders or just before in the country you approach from and it's only for the Autobahns but worth getting just in case you wander onto one where you will have your pants pulled down if you haven't bought a Vignette in advance. They do last for a year though.

This may sound stupid, but what are these stickers for that you have to get?

J

there are 2 types of "stickers"

some countries (austria, switzlerland, slovakia, czech etc etc) insist that you have a sticker (vignette) in order to be allowed to drive on the motorway.
Failure to display such sticker means a fine.

They are usually available at the border or in the motorway gas stations approaching the border.

Some cities also have an emissions type sticker that you are supposed to have. This is "proof" that your car meets certain limits - no sticker = fine - this one is popular in Germany

Anyone know where we can get the sticker for Stuttgart - and do we need anything for Belgium and France?

Going tomorrow - and my mate saw that we need stuff only last night!

I think you can buy them on the internet for Stuttgart

France is good - you just pay the motorway tolls BUT Paris will soon ban (or already has) cars of a certain age.

I think Belgium is OK too but i havent been there for a while so maybe somebody else can confirm .????

digby said:

Thanks for your reply.

We go tomorrow so Stuttgart will have to be somewhere on route - no time for internet now!

RedJedi said:
digby said:

Thanks for your reply.

We go tomorrow so Stuttgart will have to be somewhere on route - no time for internet now!

If you're doing it en route make sure that you take your V5 Reg' document with you.

NB: The alternative is to 'risk it' and pay the 80 euro fine IF you happen to get spotted whilst driving or more likely parked in Stuttgart. You don't need it for the rest of your trip.

T8 said:
RedJedi said:
digby said:

Thanks for your reply.

If you're doing it en route make sure that you take your V5 Reg' document with you.

NB: The alternative is to 'risk it' and pay the 80 euro fine IF you happen to get spotted whilst driving or more likely parked in Stuttgart. You don't need it for the rest of your trip.

Thank you T8, got the V5 and also Insurance docs, with passport too.

We go to Belgium, Germany and France - talk about straight where the trouble is....

Nearly got stung myself when I was working in Austria, turns out I had a German hire car so no sticker on it for Austria but to be fair you can buy them in most petrol stations and if you get a monthly one they're not much, 15 euro comes to mind.
If your driving a British registered car then you will more than likely get pounced on a lot, I saw a British car getting pulled apart at the side of the road in Salzburg for all the usual, First Aid kit, hi viz etc so be warned!

RedJedi said:
T8 said:
RedJedi said:
digby said:

Thanks for your reply.

Thank you T8, got the V5 and also Insurance docs, with passport too.

We go to Belgium, Germany and France - talk about straight where the trouble is....

You can pick them up at a TUV office if you are short of time, there's an office locator on their website:

http://www.tuev-sued.de/car_vehicles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back