Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Super Sports - sizing

MrB

Trainee
Ladies and Gents

I have a tyre related question for you... currently undertaking a big project on my C2 and I'm just awaiting some lightweight wheels to arrive from the US which leads me onto tyre choices and I need a rear fitment of 295/30 ZR18

I use Pirelli on my Turbo - which I think are too hard a compound, so want to explore alternate makes and Michelin seems to be the preferred tyre.

Now I love the idea of Michelin Cup 2 tyres, but I do worry about wet weather use – so the runner up to these seems to be the Michelin Super Sports.

However this is where the dilemma begins – they only do the rear tyre size on this model in 295/35 ZR18.

To be honest I haven't seen a 35' tyre profile offered by any other manufacturer and it isn't used on any of their other tyre models including the Cup 2 (model above SS) and the PS2 (model below SS)

So my question is – are any of you running the Super Sport in the 295/35 ZR18 sizing on your 996's successfully?

Thanks Nath

Can you get a front in the correct size?

chriscoates81 said:
Can you get a front in the correct size?

Hi Chris

Yep, fronts aren't an issue as they seem to follow the normal Michelin sizing... if it weren't for the wet weather consideration I think I'd plump for the CUPs but that little essence of common sense keeps saying explore the Super Sport option.

Nath

MrB said:
Ladies and Gents

I have a tyre related question for you... currently undertaking a big project on my C2 and I'm just awaiting some lightweight wheels to arrive from the US which leads me onto tyre choices and I need a rear fitment of 295/30 ZR18

I use Pirelli on my Turbo - which I think are too hard a compound, so want to explore alternate makes and Michelin seems to be the preferred tyre.

Now I love the idea of Michelin Cup 2 tyres, but I do worry about wet weather use – so the runner up to these seems to be the Michelin Super Sports.

However this is where the dilemma begins – they only do the rear tyre size on this model in 295/35 ZR18.

To be honest I haven't seen a 35' tyre profile offered by any other manufacturer and it isn't used on any of their other tyre models including the Cup 2 (model above SS) and the PS2 (model below SS)

So my question is – are any of you running the Super Sport in the 295/35 ZR18 sizing on your 996's successfully?

Thanks Nath

Nath if you get a change go and have a look at some, as the MPSS side wall has a softer angle and a smaller rim protector than the equivalent MPS this may well be why they have added the 5mm to the sidewall thickness , its a more rounded profile tyre in the way it has almost a stretched profile , I imagine its better with big spacers under the wheel arch due to its more pulled in shape. hope I have managed to explain the ok :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Nath if you get a change go and have a look at some, as the MPSS side wall has a softer angle and a smaller rim protector than the equivalent MPS this may well be why they have added the 5mm to the sidewall thickness , its a more rounded profile tyre in the way it has almost a stretched profile , I imagine its better with big spacers under the wheel arch due to its more pulled in shape. hope I have managed to explain the ok :thumb:

Phil

You're a true gent – weirdly enough, I was speaking to michelin today online and asked if the tyre design effected the scaling of the profile, but unfortunately got the standard text book response of other tyres in their range including winter options that would fit... then got told to ask Porsche their opinion! lol

However what you're explaining makes perfect sense and was inline with my initial thinking. To be fair I haven't seen them in the rubber yet, so I'll have to go and investigate – thank you so much for the response!

Nath

MrB said:
Phil 997 said:

Phil

You're a true gent – weirdly enough, I was speaking to michelin today online and asked if the tyre design effected the scaling of the profile, but unfortunately got the standard text book response of other tyres in their range including winter options that would fit... then got told to ask Porsche their opinion! lol

However what you're explaining makes perfect sense and was inline with my initial thinking. To be fair I haven't seen them in the rubber yet, so I'll have to go and investigate – thank you so much for the response!

Nath

Nath not sure what neck your in , but if its anywhere near Bournmouth your welcome to have a look at mine.

LOL ask Porsche their opinion you would get the same nothing of any use answer Michelin gave you.

Glad you got what I was trying to explain , I have had them on a while and they do seem to be a good all weather tyre with low road noise.

Ive got them on my GT3 and the long and short of it, to me, is that they seem to be much more 'slidey' at the rear than my old rockhard ps2's.

Ive been told this is due to the PSS having a slightly softer sidewall than the PS2's but it can be abit of a weird feeling.

I chose the PSS as i wanted an everyday type of tyre that i can take out in the winter time. Not sure if i would buy again as i prefer the stiffer wall/feeling i got from the ps2

I have had PS2 and PZero on Porsches and MPSS on my Audi and the side profile of the Supersport is chamfered as described which allowed me to use more camber without rubbing . I like them as they feel softer then the others and would be my first choice is available in the correct sizes .

They must have fairly strong side walks as they came as extra load and are standard fit on the M4. I think Michelin are replacing them with PS4's which are meant to be a combination of PS2 and super sports . It might be worth looking to see if they are available in the correct sizes .

I have had PS2 and PZero on Porsches and MPSS on my Audi and the side profile of the Supersport is chamfered as described which allowed me to use more camber without rubbing . I like them as they feel softer then the others and would be my first choice is available in the correct sizes .

They must have fairly strong side walks as they came as extra load and are standard fit on the M4. I think Michelin are replacing them with PS4's which are meant to be a combination of PS2 and super sports . It might be worth looking to see if they are available in the correct sizes .

MrB said:
Now I love the idea of Michelin Cup 2 tyres, but I do worry about wet weather use

The Cup 2 is fine in the wet - it is the first generation Cups that are tricky. The only time that you don't really want Cup 2s on is when the temperature goes below mid single digits - they don't bite terribly well in the cold.

Just get the PS2s, they are an excellent tyre. The PSS are a bit overrated in my opinion, I changed from PS2 to PSS on my M5 and preferred the PS2.

Phil 997 said:
Nath not sure what neck your in , but if its anywhere near Bournmouth your welcome to have a look at mine.

LOL ask Porsche their opinion you would get the same nothing of any use answer Michelin gave you.

Glad you got what I was trying to explain , I have had them on a while and they do seem to be a good all weather tyre with low road noise.

Phil, I'm in Bucks so thank you for the offer... very kind. One question, re. yours on 18" or 19" on your 997?

Thanks Nath

kingston said:
Ive got them on my GT3 and the long and short of it, to me, is that they seem to be much more 'slidey' at the rear than my old rockhard ps2's.

Ive been told this is due to the PSS having a slightly softer sidewall than the PS2's but it can be abit of a weird feeling.

I chose the PSS as i wanted an everyday type of tyre that i can take out in the winter time. Not sure if i would buy again as i prefer the stiffer wall/feeling i got from the ps2

Hi Kingston, thanks for the detailed reply... are they on your GT3 in the size I mentioned and am I right presuming its a 996 GT3? Thanks Nath

Disco said:
MrB said:
Now I love the idea of Michelin Cup 2 tyres, but I do worry about wet weather use

The Cup 2 is fine in the wet - it is the first generation Cups that are tricky. The only time that you don't really want Cup 2s on is when the temperature goes below mid single digits - they don't bite terribly well in the cold.

Thanks Disco! Appreciate the feedback on these.

MrB said:
Phil 997 said:

Phil, I'm in Bucks so thank you for the offer... very kind. One question, re. yours on 18" or 19" on your 997?

Thanks Nath

Nath , They are 19s on my 997 so a bit firmer ride than the 18s it had on when I got the car.
We have a SOUTH CENTRAL 911uk.com meet on the 5th Aug near Winchester if you fancy a run down and have a look, but Bournemouths a bit far.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=113966

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back