Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 oil leak

Adsum

I have noticed oil dripping from the o/s front of engine underneath; can anyone identify what's leaking from these pictures?

Attachments

• img_07142_212.jpg
    img_07142_212.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 4,084
  • img_07152_365.jpg
    img_07152_365.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 4,083
  • img_07162_172.jpg
    img_07162_172.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,083
can you get a better picture of the round piece on the bottom right of the second pic , its the bit with a drip on it , it looks to me from this angle like it might be your tandem pump , they do corrode and start to leak, if it is then its quite an easy fix and a new one is about £275 to £400 depends how hard you look on the internet for one they are made by pierberg so will be chaper to avoid the porsche tax and get one not porsche branded.. there is currently no replacement cover fix and the 9m cover has flaws so don't buy one as it will kill the rotor. so a new tandem pump is the way to go.

Attachments

• dollar_1_368.jpg
    dollar_1_368.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 3,999
  • 25pgzmt_339.jpg
    25pgzmt_339.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 3,999
Ermmm that looks very much like the tandem pump is leaking .. its very bad and it needs to be fixed pretty sharpish .

second picture and the item to the right looks like the tandem pump to me.

Cough .. easy fix .. cough .. wait till the fixings round off :p

As Phil and Demort say - tandem pump on the way out I reckon. Happened to mine last November and started with the oil drip similar to your pics then rapidly deteriorated.

Demort said:
Ermmm that looks very much like the tandem pump is leaking .. its very bad and it needs to be fixed pretty sharpish .

second picture and the item to the right looks like the tandem pump to me.

Cough .. easy fix .. cough .. wait till the fixings round off :p

Well Iain :floor: what I meant was it wasn't a major scarry thing, and it looks easy when your watching the tech do it while you drink his coffee. :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Thanks guys; its definitely the same thing as shown in Phil's picture; better start looking for a replacement.

:floor:

You are correct to be honest .. most of the time they are easy .. only had 1 that wasn't and after 4 hours i really wished i had stayed in bed that day lol.

Adsum said:
Thanks guys; its definitely the same thing as shown in Phil's picture; better start looking for a replacement.

Soon please young man .. it looks pretty bad from the image .. if you have oil on the floor as well then that confirms that its bad .

Adsum said:

If you look at some of the recent threads on here about the tandem pump there are some pointers to price and where inc. the pierburg part numbers etc. also look to see if europarts etc have any promos on. :thumb: :grin:

Ok I have the Tandem pump on order an will get it fitted next week.... Now this is probably a daft question for those who know; but will the oil have to be drained from the engine to change the pump?

Nope .

There are no Daft Questions .. only those that need answering :)

Edit to say .. btw change the pipe as well as you will never get it out of the old pump .

Ok thanks Demort; but it is the engine oil leaking from it isn't it? I guess the pump must be located above the oil level in the sump.

If i'm allowed to ask daft questions; what does a Tandem pump do anyway? :?

Its has an oil feed as lubrication so it will leak with engine running if the cover has corroded .

Its the pump for the brakes and also any engine valves that are vacum controled .. it makes the brake pedal soft in other words :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back