Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oh dear, I seem to have broken my 996.1

kurlykris

Singapore
Right chaps, I seem to have my first Porsche issue :sad:
I have committed the cardinal sin of popping to the shop tonight ( to buy beer obviously ) car started fine, drove to local shop, parked up ( bought beer ), came out, started car, drove home, then as I turned into my road and driveway a horrible matallic grinding/rubbing sound coming ( and vibrating ) through the rear bulkhead :nooo:
The engine sounds fine, clutch works fine, gearbox works/selects fine, but the noise remains :?:

Now, I have had a few occasions since buying the 996.1 ( maybe 5 or 6 in 6 months), where the starter motor has "squealed" when I have turned the key and started the car, starter gear not disengaging as it should. I`m hoping that it is just the starter motor stuck in engage mode or that the waterpump has given up the ghost ( I have my reasons for suspecting this ).

I`ll pop the serpentine belt off tomorow when I get home and have a feel of all of the ancillary pulleys/bearings as it could be pretty much anything @ 105K miles and I have no evidence that waterpump or starter motor have been replaced in the past. I have been starting the 911 more frequently than usual as I have an issue with the roof on my house and falling masonary, so have been keeping the Porschas well out of the way and leaving the Merc to take the hit while I wait for the builders to repair their shoddy workmanship :nooo:

I`m hoping that I won`t need a full engine rebuild / upgrade and installation of a supercharger at this time as I have to buy my daughter her first ever car :grin:

I`ll have to start her in the morning, to move her out of the way for the Merc to get off the drive for work. I did turn the engine off and re-start it tonight but the noise was still there, but my money is on the starter motor, possibly water pump, the belt looked OK though, not like my last water pump failure on a Merc where it shredded the belt.
On tickover the noise is there, if I rev it it goes away :dont know:

Will have a gander tomorrow afternoon and put my thinking cap on :thumb:

Maybe engine mounts :?:

OK, moved the car this morning and noticed fluid on the drive coming from the front, didn`t have time to look as I had to get off to work.
I got home early-ish and had a bit of a gander, checked coolant level, OK, checked power steering fluid, nothing on the dipstick :dont know:
Had a look under the car, drivers side wheel arch, fluid everywhere, then noticed that one of the hoses has blown itself apart at the diameter reducing ferrule :sad:

The noise must be pump running dry.

The question is, is this a job for an Indy or can I just change the pipes myself or get a local mobile mechanic to come and fit them :?:

Also, will this have damaged the power steering pump by running dry :?:

kurlykris said:
OK, moved the car this morning and noticed fluid on the drive coming from the front, didn`t have time to look as I had to get off to work.
I got home early-ish and had a bit of a gander, checked coolant level, OK, checked power steering fluid, nothing on the dipstick :dont know:
Had a look under the car, drivers side wheel arch, fluid everywhere, then noticed that one of the hoses has blown itself apart at the diameter reducing ferrule :sad:

The noise must be pump running dry.

The question is, is this a job for an Indy or can I just change the pipes myself or get a local mobile mechanic to come and fit them :?:

Also, will this have damaged the power steering pump by running dry :?:

Hopefully Kris it looks worse than it actually is , good luck getting it sorted mate :thumb: :bandit:

I hear its a PITA job to do but you could push the pipe into the rubber as far as it will got and get a good jubilee clip around it to hold it in place to get you to somewhere that can do it. Obviously top up with fluid before driving.

I`ll have to use the Boxster for my hooning activities until the weekend and I can start stripping her down at the front :thumb:

Shame I had my drive jet cleaned and re-sanded 2 weeks ago :sad:

infrasilver said:
I hear its a PITA job to do but you could push the pipe into the rubber as far as it will got and get a good jubilee clip around it to hold it in place to get you to somewhere that can do it. Obviously top up with fluid before driving.

That`s a bl@@dy good idea Chris, why didn`t I think of that :thumb: some engineer I am !

Anyone know what sort of pressure is in the line :?:

I have two jubilee clips around my hose joint as I noticed it was corroding when I first bought the car over 5 years ago. It has been fine ever since and I recently checked it.

Your joint is too far gone to rescue but I would check the Boxster's pipe whilst you have it in mind and bang a couple jubilees on it.

infrasilver said:

:agree: .. totally .

Its the low pressure pipe , that fix should work fine and i think it might hold as a longer fix , if you look at the inside of the pipe you can see its just rubber , its the ferral that acts to clamp it , so push the pipe back in and a jubilee clip will do the same as the ferral .. thats what im thinking.

To change .. yes an indy can do it .. not a quick job though , front suspension has to be dropped and the pipe aint cheap.

Pump .. hmm .. not so good .. fix the pipe , fill with fluid and keep fingers crossed . .. dont start the car again untill its fixed though to have any chance of saveing the pump.

They Really dont like running dry im afraid.

High pressure is top pipe , low pressure bottom pipe.

EDIT .. btw get that fluid cleaned off any rubber items as soon as possible .. pentosin is corrosive to rubber .. it makes it swell up .

I`ve sort of come up with a cunning plan chaps :

Get my toolroom chaps to turn me a new, thin walled ally ferrule to slip over the large pipe ( after getting the kn@ckered one off of course ) then use 2 high quality jubilee clips to try and compress and make a seal onto the smaller pipe, just like it was before :?:

Even on the low pressure pipe at the pump it is 1.67 Mpa ( 16.7 Bar or 242 Psi )
The high pressure is 3.53 Mpa ( 35.3 Bar or 512 Psi )

I can`t even get the wheel off at the moment as I have lent my jack to a mate and he`s b@ggered off on holiday :nooo:

The ferrule is split around one of my pipes. No leaks but I put a good jubilee clip around it anyway. Worth keeping an eye on.

MC

Ive got to admit ive never seen that pipe blow off before .. ive fitted literaly hundreds of clips over the years for the cracking of the ferrul and never seen one come back .. talking what must be 7 years of doing it.

If it can be clamped back on then i feel it should last and hopefully it can as if the pump doesn't quiet down afterwards then that in its self will be expensive enough :(

Dont start the car untill fixed though and fluid in the pump .. i know ive already said it .. but .. just dont :)

And get some brake cleaner on the gaiter and any coolant pipes !!!!

Classic!

DON'T START AND DRIVE THE CAR! Power steering pumps do not like to be run dry.

What I would do:
  • - Inspect the rubber of the pipe: is it cracked or damaged on the end?
    - If not push back on, and use 2x stainless jubilee clips to secure.
    - Refill power steering fluid.
    - Forget about it.

Don't forget to use the right type of power steering fluid Pentosin for Febi CHF11S

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/980bm0020

Everyone reading this should go stick two jubilee clips on their pipes now if you haven't already!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back