Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nearly a new 911 owner

ualla

Silverstone
Hi all,

I've been wanting to enter the wonderful 911 world for a while now and have finally decided to take the plunge on a lovely facelift 996.

I bought Adrian's Buyer's guide and followed it during my inspection of the car, although it was very difficult for someone that doesn't know that much about 996s.

Anyway, I have organised for Brookspeed near Southampton (close to where the car is) to carry out a ppi before I definitively take the plunge. I basically have to wait a couple of weeks.

Main reason for me posting here is to find out from you guys if you can give me any further information on 3 items on the car:
- is that a stock/optional spoiler?
- Are those Porsche rims?
- Those don't look like standard fog lights. Anybody know anything about them?

Many thanks!

And here are the photos:

Attachments

• porsche_2_622.png
    porsche_2_622.png
    794.4 KB · Views: 6,375
  • porsche_4_899.png
    porsche_4_899.png
    873.9 KB · Views: 6,375
The spoiler might be.
Check the sticker under the bonnet, see if it has the code XAG
If it doesn't then no.

The lights in the bumper are after-market and the wheel aren't standard either.

Welcome to the forum , Firstly let my say that Brookspeed will do a first class job of inspecting the car , they are my indy of choice and I highly recommend them.
Here's my 2p on the car
It looks very much like it has a 996 gen2 aerokit fitted as the rear spoiler for the gen2 aerokit looks like that and the gen 1 aero kit is the one that looks similar to the 997 gen1 aero kit but more curvy.
The other reason I think it may well be a genuine aero kit is on the gen 2 it had side skirts but no rear spats just like the photo the gen 1 had side skirts and rear spats.
The front bumper is correct but has had aftermarket daytime running lights added.
The alloys are not the correct ones for the car, the correct alloys and a used front bumper are very easy to pick up on ebay, if you want it back to original.
Also the rear side and back glass have got tinted film on which would be aftermarket.
Brookspeed will be able to tell you if the rear spoiler is genuine or a replica but its the right shape for the gen2 996. I am betting that it's a genuine gen2 aero kit that's fitted.
top and bottom pics are a 996.2 aerokit , the middle pic is a 996.1 aero kit
hope that helps , good luck with the purchase hope it checks out as it looks like a nice one.

Attachments

• 9962_aerokit_107.jpg
    9962_aerokit_107.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 6,307
  • porsche_9961_aerokit_182.jpg
    porsche_9961_aerokit_182.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 6,307
  • porsche_9962_aerokit_287.jpg
    porsche_9962_aerokit_287.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 6,307
The rear led light are not stock😉

Phil 997 said:
hope that helps , good luck with the purchase hope it checks out as it looks like a nice one.

I think you're right, it might well be a genuine aerokit. OP it has the side skirts at least as well.
However there's the aerokit and the GT3 aerokit, which are shown in your photos. Both were a available on the 996.1 - it's not a 1/2 thing. Obviously the 1 has a different (GT3 look) front bumper to the 2, but the point is both rear spoilers (and optional spats) were available for the 1. I don't know when the aerokit became available. It may have been later in the 996.1 lifetime. Most early aerokitted cars have the GT3 kit. Mine was fitted with the (non
GT3) aerokit from new in March 2001.

Griffter said:
Phil 997 said:

I think you're right, it might well be a genuine aerokit. OP it has the side skirts at least as well.
However there's the aerokit and the GT3 aerokit, which are shown in your photos. Both were a available on the 996.1 - it's not a 1/2 thing. Obviously the 1 has a different (GT3 look) front bumper to the 2, but the point is both rear spoilers (and optional spats) were available for the 1. I don't know when the aerokit became available. It may have been later in the 996.1 lifetime. Most early aerokitted cars have the GT3 kit. Mine was fitted with the (non
GT3) aerokit from new in March 2001.

Griffter, I have learnt something new today as I didn't know the non gt3 aerokit was also available on the late gen1 cars as well as the gen2 cars
that would explain why I see some with spats etc. and its not just original bits added to the car later in its life. :thumb: :grin:

Definitely looks like the "Carrera Aerokit" fitted (as opposed to "GT3 Aerokit"). I love the look and the fact there's no mechanism to go wrong.

Just like mine :)

DSC00444.JPG

First of all many thanks to all for pitching in, really appreciate it!! :)

I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of the front led lights, but I'm not sure I'd be pushed to get a new bumper just yet. Give me a little time and I'm sure I'll become a purist :)

For the wheels, I'll try do a bit of research into what brand they are. I quite like the style (fewer spokes) although I'm not crazy about these in particular.

I really like the rear spoiler actually, I hope it is the Aerokit you guys mention. Once/if I get the car I'll make sure to look into it much closer.

@stefandk: well spotted. I thought I noticed somehting different about them last night as I was looking at photos of other 996s.

@Phill 997: I'm sure Brookspeed will do great job. I did come across them thanks to this forum :)

@EGTE: very nice look indeed! I love it. Also your wheels...

Thanks all, can't wait to learn more and more :)

I had the same spoiler on mine when I bought it but removed it after 5 years or so as I like the classic 911 silhouette. Horses for courses but I thought you'd like to know it is possible to change it over. As others have mentioned, the other items are not stock. You should be able to download an original 996 brochure and the tequioment catalogue which shows all the optional equipment. Also, the online vin decoder will help. My current 996 is my second 996 and I still enjoy driving it after 7 years of ownership.

The wheels look to be the wrong offset.

They look to be widebody (c4s / turbo) fitment.

You might find the tyres hit the arches on bumpy roads, unless the arches have been "rolled".

The wrong fitment wheels, the tints and the aftermarket lights would put me right off unless it is cheap.

ualla said:
First of all many thanks to all for pitching in, really appreciate it!! :)

I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of the front led lights, but I'm not sure I'd be pushed to get a new bumper just yet. Give me a little time and I'm sure I'll become a purist :)

For the wheels, I'll try do a bit of research into what brand they are. I quite like the style (fewer spokes) although I'm not crazy about these in particular.

I really like the rear spoiler actually, I hope it is the Aerokit you guys mention. Once/if I get the car I'll make sure to look into it much closer.

@stefandk: well spotted. I thought I noticed somehting different about them last night as I was looking at photos of other 996s.

@Phill 997: I'm sure Brookspeed will do great job. I did come across them thanks to this forum :)

@EGTE: very nice look indeed! I love it. Also your wheels...

Thanks all, can't wait to learn more and more :)

ualla, Agreed I like the spoiler and have an aerokit on my 997 so don't rush to remove it as I am pretty sure its original anyway.
The DRLs look ok and its a personal thing as are the led rear lights as again I have them both on my car .
The wheels I don't love but you can change then anytime and plenty of used porsche ones on ebay.

Keep us updated on progress :thumb: :grin:

I'm sticking to my guns here - the spoiler is a genuine Porsche item - option code XAG.
It's not called Aero anything or GT something.
It's simply called "Carrera Fixed Rear Wing"

so there :p

Thanks again all!

Next time I see the car I will definitely have a look for the code! I am very curious.

Thanks Phil, I really appreciate your opinion. It does make me feel a little better about it :)

@wasz: I hadn't noticed the offset until you mentioned it. I hope this is something that Brookspeed would pick up on though. Thanks for pointing it out! When you say that you wouldn't mind unless it was cheap, what figure would you have in mind? Just to use as a bit of a reference really...

Will definitely keep you all updated on progress. I'm trying not to think about the fact that I have to wait a whole week...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back