Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I need to change passenger side tyre - do both?

singhmrp

Hi,

The front left tyre of my 996 has a puncture so i need to change the tyre - from what I've always been told I should ideally change the front 2 together.

Wanted to ask what's the general consensus of this - is this correct?

Also, I've read been told that the rear tyres should have the best grip, however those are currently fine i.e. perfectly within the UK thread limit. Again, what are peoples opinion of this - do i really need to worry about it if they are legally ok?

Thanks.

For the fronts, ideally if one is not suitable due to (in this example, a puncture) it is recommended to change both on that axle.

As for tyres that are legally fine, I'd not want to be driving one of these cars at 1.6mm legal limit. Porsche recommend 3mm, but that could be the limit in Germany. In any case, if the tyre is 6+ years old since date of manufacture (check week/year of manufacture on sidewall), they recommend them to be replaced irrespective of how much tread is left on them.

Hope this helps.

PS I know of this good part worn tyre place down that part of the world......
(joking)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back