Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS - pdk - For Sale (maybe)

Ecky993

Nurburgring
I'm considering the unthinkable and letting the GTS go !

Having recently driven a 981 Cayman S and the fact that both my boys are over 6" tall, the days of needing the rear seats are over..

Am I crazy :?:

The car is brilliant, and the comfort of the OPC warranty gives you a feeling of warm fuzziness. It's going in tomorrow for a new PCM3.0 system no quibbles.

So if anyone has a desire to buy a future classic albeit with real world mileage (high to some - used to most) I can forward details as and when required.

2011 - GTS Coupe Basalt with Black/Grey leather/alcan
58900 miles
I'm the 3rd owner (demo +1)

Yep crazy! Do t do it lol

Do It

I was given a white 2.7 Cayman with PDK and the sports exhaust as a demo while my turbo was in getting work done. i had it 3 days........

i'm still missing it... It really got under my skin. The sound was stunning, handling perfect, It also looked brilliant and got some amount of attention when parked up.

#Carrexit

:thumb:

Why change :?:

The 981S is a great car but will depreciate over the next few years. The 997GTS is also a great car and will depreciate far less in the same amount of time.

Most of the time they will be very similar to drive. On the time s when you can really give the 981 it's head the odds are that you'd be able to do the same in the GTS and it's at that level that the 911 is more rewarding.

So ..... my 2p worth ....... unless you really are hankering for a newer car or really fancy 'a change' is to 'stick'.

Gorgeous! We're such lucky bar stewards aren't we? I get home next Thursday after 6 weeks away at work. I can't wait to get out for a bimble.

Out of interest why is the PCM3 getting replaced?

Mine currenty switches off for a second or so and then switches back on, I've got it booked into OPC to get checked

If both your kids are now just over 6" tall wouldn't it be prudent to keep the 997!
I know but I couldn't resist!! :D

Id say do it.

my eldest boy is over 6ft and my youngest is still only 7 years old but quite tall.

Even then they were younger they never really seemed to look comfortable in the back of my then 996.

I switched for the Cayman and now Im in a 981 Boxster S

Agreed depreciation might be a bit painful if you buy a nearly new one (not sure you'd still get an actual new one unless you are happy with the spec of one that is already on the forecourt - which is the route that I went).

What sort of mileage do you do?
If it is quite high, then a low miles Cayman might not depreciate as much as you expect as it wont be too long before the current car starts creeping up to a point where people will be getting fussy over it (it wouldnt put me off)

PCM

Bikeracer1098 said:
Out of interest why is the PCM3 getting replaced?

Mine currenty switches off for a second or so and then switches back on, I've got it booked into OPC to get checked

Pm sent

Cay

wilpert said:
Id say do it.

my eldest boy is over 6ft and my youngest is still only 7 years old but quite tall.

Even then they were younger they never really seemed to look comfortable in the back of my then 996.

I switched for the Cayman and now Im in a 981 Boxster S

Agreed depreciation might be a bit painful if you buy a nearly new one (not sure you'd still get an actual new one unless you are happy with the spec of one that is already on the forecourt - which is the route that I went).

What sort of mileage do you do?
If it is quite high, then a low miles Cayman might not depreciate as much as you expect as it wont be too long before the current car starts creeping up to a point where people will be getting fussy over it (it wouldnt put me off)

Having had a few 911's since 2009, the boys (19&16) just don't seem bothered about what their father does these days. Uni & 6th form plus computers and girls.....

My mileage is low in the GTS but for work I do 44k pa, this is another point, the GTS is a full fat 911 and customers perception of me rocking up in it can cause issues ( discussed at length many times on here ). So part of me thought could I use a Cayman and get over the 'he has a 911 must be loaded or charging too much scenario' ?

I don't honestly know, but buying a low mileage 14 plate would be a good starting point as a replacement.

My view on depreciation is that it's a given, but I do think the purists will like the 6 cylinder over the 718 versions in the short to medium term.

:thumbs:

Fair

T8 said:
Why change :?:

The 981S is a great car but will depreciate over the next few years. The 997GTS is also a great car and will depreciate far less in the same amount of time.

Most of the time they will be very similar to drive. On the time s when you can really give the 981 it's head the odds are that you'd be able to do the same in the GTS and it's at that level that the 911 is more rewarding.

So ..... my 2p worth ....... unless you really are hankering for a newer car or really fancy 'a change' is to 'stick'.

All very valid points, the drive is IMHO different though. The poise and chuckability of the smaller Cayman is bordering on insane. But that's just me and I am a massive 911 fan.

Mileage is a sensitive issue, and the GTS is up there. And I was thinking of a sub 10k miler Cayman so I could potentially use it more on business (as above).

Yep I will lose money but you kind of expect that for modern motoring.

:?:

My first car was a 996 cab, pretty basic spec but still a 911.
I used as a daily and did around 15k a year going from job to job (surveyor and estimating for small builders). I too got the sideways glances from customers.

So when it got up there in the mileage, I sold it and got a Cayman S, this also drew sideways glances as IMHO was such a nice looking car.

Now Im in the Boxster S 981 and this gets even more glances, I feel that unless you are a Porsche owner or car enthusiast, you don't distinguish between models that much, it's like "a Porsche is a Porsche).

The thing that I really liked about the Cayman was that compact cossetted feeling and it just seemed more matched for town driving, especially with the PDK.

I also reckon the NA6's will hold on to a few more £££'s in the coming years when company car drivers realise that the new 718 was not quite what they were expecting.

For me, it's a case if drive what makes you happy, Im the wrong side of 50 now, so I'm doing what makes me smile. (as long as it's legal
:thumb: )

Attachments

• img_1212_348.jpg
    img_1212_348.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 9,790
Tricky decisions!

I have a 996TT and love it, though had a similar situation to M9JOC where I had a 981 Boxster (non S) for a couple of days and loved it. Something I wasn't anticipating at all.

Maybe because it was someone else's car, though you could rag it silly (great sports exhaust note) and have fun at the car's limit at legal (mostly) speeds that doesn't require warp factor like the TT.

Funnily enough I was thinking about trying a 997 GTS (manual) to see how it would compare.

Good luck in your decision making...

Re: Cay

Ecky993 said:
....... this is another point, the GTS is a full fat 911 and customers perception of me rocking up in it can cause issues ( discussed at length many times on here ). So part of me thought could I use a Cayman and get over the 'he has a 911 must be loaded or charging too much scenario' ?

:dont know: but I suspect that to most people it's the Porsche badge rather than the 911/Cayman/Boxster moniker that would make them think that and the newer the car the worse it would be. In this scenario I doubt that disguising the age with a private plate would work either. :wink:

Re: Cay

T8 said:
Ecky993 said:
....... this is another point, the GTS is a full fat 911 and customers perception of me rocking up in it can cause issues ( discussed at length many times on here ). So part of me thought could I use a Cayman and get over the 'he has a 911 must be loaded or charging too much scenario' ?

:dont know: but I suspect that to most people it's the Porsche badge rather than the 911/Cayman/Boxster moniker that would make them think that and the newer the car the worse it would be. In this scenario I doubt that disguising the age with a private plate would work either. :wink:

Agree. The Cayman looks a lot more grown up than the old car, the chances of customers having a different view of you rocking up in a Cayman vs a 911 are relatively small. Especially members of the fairer sex is that applies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back