Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Issue - Trucked Away

cambjones

Headed off for a weekend at a mates place in the Cotswolds... loads of traffic going through London as a result of the Brexit protest so it was a lot of stop start....

Lost power, weird kind of noise, sounded like it was running on <6 cylinders.. ... I rolled over to the side of the road... cranked it again and gave it a rev and I was off... I put it down to dirty fuel.

Did it again... in single lane congested road... stress levels on my wife's face was rising. Cranked it again and was off.

Did it again... figured it might need an Italian tune so I diverted around Regent's Park... conked out again.. I decided to head home and swap cars..

Got it going again, headed up the outer circle of Regent's Park and again lost power, this time completely. I decided there might be something more too it...

When I pulled over there was smoke coming out the engine.. I got out of the car and a 70-year-old in a convertible Merc pull over and said there was a 'massive' flame that came out one of the exhausts.. he looked impressed... funny, his 30-year-old girlfriend was disinterested.

So I rang roadside assistance and got it trucked to the nearest Porsche garage that has some air-cooled experience, and was still open at 4pm on a Saturday. Thankfully these guys fit the bill www.911sbd.com. The guy on the phone assured me the had a plenty of air-cooled experience, highlighting they had 3 up on lifts today.

They had good google reviews and nothing else was probably open sat afternoon anyway.

Roadside assistance came and got it up on the back of the flatbed.

911sbd seem pretty cool... some really old Porsches in there getting rebuilt so I feel like I'm in good hands.

They said it sounded like there was an issue with one of the cylinders and it was getting flooded with fuel hence the flame and the smoke. They said it could be a range if things, ranging from not very expensive to very expensive.

I find out Monday or Tuesday.!!

Attachments

• 2016_07_03_14_47_19_409.jpg
    2016_07_03_14_47_19_409.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 13,100
  • 2016_07_03_14_48_08_110.jpg
    2016_07_03_14_48_08_110.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 13,100
....... holding thumbs and fingers crossed for you Cam .......

Hope it's something simple.........on a positive it looks great on that flatbed!

Hope it's something simple.........on a positive it looks great on that flatbed!

Thanks chaps.

The truck guy was very nice and told me on the way out his wife just walked out on him this morning. He has 3 of her kids from her prior marriage, and and extra 2 together with the most recent being 14 mouths old. Oh and he has another 3 kids from his prior marriage.

Puts things into perspective.

I'll update with the prognosis.

It did have some oil leaks which I needed to attend to in the next couple of years, but not urgent. Will be interesting to see if it's at all related.

A 993 on a recovery truck!!!! Unheard of!!

Sorry for your troubles

Injector fault??

Hope it all goes well

Assuming it was a misfiring cylinder and popping flame etc once sorted change the oil n filter as it may be contaminated with petrol etc

Thanks for the tip Chris! It was due for a major service in July so I'll prob get that done at the same time now. Cheers.

Hope it's not bad news. If you get it going I've 25 bags ready :thumb:

cambjones said:
.. I got out of the car and a 70-year-old in a convertible Merc pull over and said there was a 'massive' flame that came out one of the exhausts.. he looked impressed... funny, his 30-year-old girlfriend was disinterested.

Now this guy has got it right with a 40yr age gap :grin:

No news today.. that doesn't bode well. :?

Will update tomorrow.

I'll keep your offer in mind Zingari

Hi! Hope it's not too serious.
I think the garage was called BCR before as Paul Mace was the owner
with another guy.I can't think of the other guys name.
I purchased my 993 there in 2001 and they were great then.
Hope they are the same now with new owners or Paul's ex partner.

Hey simonlin, glad to hear you had a good experience with them in the past... They are just a garage now. My experience with them so far has been good, they are very professional and communicative.

I spoke to them this afternoon.

They replaced the distributor cap as they said it was fouled however they doubted that was the cause of it, maybe just contributed.

They asked me if my fuel hose had been replaced as there was a recall on 993 fuel hoses... I was aware of the wiring loom recall but not a fuel hose. They are going to check that for me with a dealer.

They ran it on the lift and said it was running smoothly but wondered it needed to be warmed up which I suspect it does. He's going to drive it home to his house in Cambridge tonight to test it (after a bit of a drive around the garage first to make sure he does not get stranded).

I'll keep you updated...

Not my area of expertise but flame out the back .. excessive fuel into the exhaust which then ignited ..timeing .. i doubt it from the description .. leaking injector .. possible .. dme relay .. the old favourite .. it would need to make and break .. so i think not .

Im going to go with fuel pump .. low pressure .. poor combustion excessive fuel in exhaust and can be intermitant .. either a poor connection or an old pump.

Best guess ive got im afraid .

Either way .. i hope its cheap :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back