Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo itch ... Any 996T owners in or around West Sussex ?

adamw

Portimao
Hello 996 lot :D
Haven't posted here for quite some time ..
Anyway, I've recently been feeling the urge for Turbo power.
This follows having a go in a 993 Turbo on the way back from Le Mans this year. Can't get the pace out of my head!!
993 turbos are firmly out of reach for me now but 996T's are still (just about) within reach and I've always really liked them.

Anyway, as you can see I'm currently in an air-cooled 993 (which I do love) and have been to the last 5.5 yrs
I really wanted to have a nose round a 996T and possibly a drive\ride in one to see if it's something I'd be prepared to trade the 993 for ?? Completely undecided :?: :dont know:
Is there any kind 996T owners in the area that wouldn't mind letting me have a nose?
I live in East Grinstead, West Sussex ?!
Please PM me if you're local and cool with this.

Cheers in advance guys :thumbs:

I'm sure there will be forum members down there that have an sir cooled and a Turbo or moved from air cooled to water cooled 996/997 Turbo.

I love my 996 X50 Turbo. It is gut-wrenching fast and a Turbo was what O always wanted. Had mine 4 years now and love it more with each passing year.

A modern classic now and still cant help turning around and admiring it each time I lock it and walk away. No plans to sell it. Too good a car and I couldn't buy its performance for the sort of prices they fetch today for true sports performance cars.

I dare say the performance will be 'stronger' than a 993 Turbo. But there is a 993 Turbo in the For Sale section c£80k.

cheshire911 said:
I'm sure there will be forum members down there that have an sir cooled and a Turbo or moved from air cooled to water cooled 996/997 Turbo.

I love my 996 X50 Turbo. It is gut-wrenching fast and a Turbo was what O always wanted. Had mine 4 years now and love it more with each passing year.

A modern classic now and still cant help turning around and admiring it each time I lock it and walk away. No plans to sell it. Too good a car and I couldn't buy its performance for the sort of prices they fetch today for true sports performance cars..

Thanks mate, I hope so and I'm sure the perfomance is truly blistering and addictive

cheshire911 said:
I dare say the performance will be 'stronger' than a 993 Turbo. But there is a 993 Turbo in the For Sale section c£80k.

If you mean the black 993 turbo, that's my cousins 993 that's for sale. The one that's got me thinking :thumb:
This one :
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=113478
Out of my budget !! :grin:

My car is at 9e in Horley until Thursday when I pick it up post-MOT and service. If you are able to get there on Thursday afternoon, I'd be happy to take you for a quick blatt.

Mole said:
My car is at 9e in Horley until Thursday when I pick it up post-MOT and service. If you are able to get there on Thursday afternoon, I'd be happy to take you for a quick blatt.

Thanks so much - kind of you
The only thing is. I may struggle with Thurs PM due to work commitments (don't work local)...
Dam - could've worked otherwise
As I've said, cheers anyway :thumb:

No worries. I do sometimes make a drive to East Grinstead to see an acupuncturist, so if you haven't experienced one by then I can give you a nudge again.

Mole said:
No worries. I do sometimes make a drive to East Grinstead to see an acupuncturist, so if you haven't experienced one by then I can give you a nudge again.

Sounds great cheers
Drop me a PM when yr next coming by this way...
Thanks - appreciate that :thumb:

As per our previous conversation, I don't think there is anything about the car you'll dislike, apart from possibly the lack of noise. May feel a bit large compared to the '93 too.

Fit a Carnewal exhaust and it sounds almost air cooled on tickover. :D

I live in Surrey KT20 and you'd be welcome to have a nose round my one if you've not found any nearer to look at. I'll pm my details..
Danny

(Away til Thursday though)

Jibaro said:
I live in Surrey KT20 and you'd be welcome to have a nose round my one if you've not found any nearer to look at. I'll pm my details..
Danny

(Away til Thursday though)

Thanks buddy - replied :thumb:

Adam, there are lots for sale at the moment, many with dreamy prices but a few with far more realistic ones.

The cars themselves will pretty much shock you with their capability, much more so if you go to a well respected suspension company for a fast road geo. I've had mine for 4 years now and my favourite thing to do is not drive it for a couple of weeks, then hop in and BAM!! The performance is quite shocking, especially after a mild remap (mine is running 0.9-1.0 bar) and never fails to make me smile. I have lost count of the number of times I have sat in the car on the driveway shaking my head and smiling about what I have just experienced, they are awesome.

Mole's car would be good for a trundle round in, as he has a 9e exhaust I think :lol: That will mask the only downside of the thing; a lack of noise, or more accurately, sound, to match the theater of the performance.

DynoMike said:
Adam, there are lots for sale at the moment, many with dreamy prices but a few with far more realistic ones.

The cars themselves will pretty much shock you with their capability, much more so if you go to a well respected suspension company for a fast road geo. I've had mine for 4 years now and my favourite thing to do is not drive it for a couple of weeks, then hop in and BAM!! The performance is quite shocking, especially after a mild remap (mine is running 0.9-1.0 bar) and never fails to make me smile. I have lost count of the number of times I have sat in the car on the driveway shaking my head and smiling about what I have just experienced, they are awesome.

Mole's car would be good for a trundle round in, as he has a 9e exhaust I think :lol: That will mask the only downside of the thing; a lack of noise, or more accurately, sound, to match the theater of the performance.

Thanks Mike
I'm certain the performance will not disappoint and that's probably the danger of me going in one.
Just need to see if I want to change the 993 for one. It maybe a forgone conclusion once I've had a ride
We'll see
:?:

:thumb:

DynoMike said:

:thumbs: Yep, rocking a bit more vocal presence. Only difficulty going out in mine / another 9e car, is you'll be factoring in the cost of an exhaust in your purchase budget... :)

Mole said:
DynoMike said:

:thumbs: Yep, rocking a bit more vocal presence. Only difficulty going out in mine / another 9e car, is you'll be factoring in the cost of an exhaust in your purchase budget... :)

Haha :grin:
Yep heard these are quiet and sure if I was to go down this route I'd by looking for a suitable exhaust mod at some stage down the line.
I wouldn't want anything overly lairy or intrusive though. Something with a bit of burble on idle and nice amount of noise when "pushing on" without sounding "over-the-top" :thumb:

If you are near Chichester, have a chat with Kier at Chappell Sports - he'll give you a very unbiased opinion on the pluses (lots) and minuses (not many) of the 996T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back