Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Outdoor car covers?

Andy787

Hi all,

Well my OPC informed me yesterday that my 991.2 has arrived at the port to be shipped from Germany, happy days :D

It will be daily driver and as I spend quite a bit of time out of the country, it will spend a bit of its life sat in a secure carpark at the airport.

Question is, is it worth considering an outdoor cover to cover it up whilst Im away?
In the carpark is regularly another 911 with a cover, I dropped the owner a note and he replied saying he uses a fleece lined cover from web based 'Carcover shop'.

If the car is clean, can't imagine there'll be a problem but if its dirty, I can't help thinking it'll just scratch it up as the cover moves in the wind..assuming i can't get undercover space.

Would i just be better off leaving it uncovered? Any thoughts?

cheers
Andy

Carrera S, PDK, PSE, glass roof, rear wheel steer, Gt silver with black/red leather :thumbs:

Yes I agree, if its indoors, I would personally not use a cover in such an environment, you will get micro scratches for sure. Better to leave it as it is, better to spend the money on a decent wax.

If its in a completely still environment, and no risk of any air movement, then a dust cover could be used, but is really no need IMO.

Great news on your car delivery!! look forward to the pictures.

Thats what i was kind of thinking too, better just to keep it clean and waxed :D I didn't really see how you'd keep the inside of the cover clear of bits of grit etc.

I also saw some door protector strips on a jag in the carpark, magnetically attached but of course they won't work, cos its ally..

Im really looking forwards to it, it would be nice if the sun came out though!! When does yours come? My chappie at OPC said now almost a years wait for an S..

I was originally thinking of buying a outside cover myself, however from what read on the Detailing world forum (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/), they can seriously damage your paintwork. As 6appeal has said spend the money of some good wax such as Swissvax Shield PTFE Wax that can last for months or even Swissvax Endurance which is very good but only available via Swissvax approved detailers. The other option is GYEON+ Ceramic coatings Treatment which lasts for two years and gives the paintwork added scratch resistance.

Mine is in build this month, delivery to uk August so I'll collect Sept.

Not counting down or anything... ;)

Attachments

• image_822.jpeg
    image_822.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 3,568
:thumbs:

My build date moved around a bit, in the end it emerged from the factory 10days early, wasn't supposed to be built until the 8th july..not complaining however :thumb:

Part of the deal I managed to get was Swissvax polish included so I'll stick with that for a while, get a free reapplication after a year and then i'll look at the coatings. My neighbour has a 997GT3 which has had a Modesta treatment and thats very impressive indeed.

Getting close..

Assuming yours is available mid-July, are you collecting it as soon as its available, or waiting the extra 6 weeks to the 66 plate?

Mines only being delivered mid-august, so needless to say I'm waiting the fortnight so that its first registered 1st Sept, although I'm putting a '63 plate on the car to make it look 3 years old ;)

Im just going to take it as soon as possible..primarily because I can't wait any longer but also with the current uncertainty over Brexit, the markets and the exchange rates changing, I don't want to get caught up in any sort of price rise...a chap i know bought new Cayenne a couple of years ago. Between ordering and delivery there was a price rise and he was made to pay the 1800 extra before they would let him have the car, no extra no car, ..although the dealership says no plans to raise prices you never know...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back