Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High Mileage

dazzpowder

Whats perceived as average mileage? it seems everyone wants to buy a garage queen that has minimal mileage while that's a nice to have how essential is it if the right car is found with the right spec?

I had a 997 C4s which was a garage queen and when I came to sell I wished I had driven it more. I'm hoping to buy a 991 soon and wont be making that mistake again. I have found the perfect car albeit with two years mileage on a one year old car, but it seems resale values are hit if the mileage isn't low, so is it a case of buy cheap sell cheap?

What are peoples thoughts regarding mileage when buying?

For a modern (i.e watercooled) 911 the average mileage seems to be 6-7k miles per year after the car is three years old.

When buying a 911 I would consider the usually banded about '12k average per year' to be above average. 15k a year would be considered 'high'.

My opinion is based on this research.

==> Average mileage for a 997 coupe

Hmm interesting I'm looking at a 2015 with 20K miles. These cars have evolved and in comparison to other cars in their class are practically bullet proof why do we still worry so much about mileage. Should I stay clear of the car? if I can negotiate a good price do I buy expecting to pass on that saving? really torn on the decision.

How long are you planning to keep it? How many miles do you expect to do a year?

20k miles on a year old car of this ilk is nothing - as long as the high mileage is reflected in the purchase price - and you'll be getting a nearly new car at a big discount from new.

If you do 5k miles a year and keep the car 3 years, 35k miles on a 4 year old car will be seen as perfectly ok by any prospective buyer.

If you're more likely to be doing 10k miles a year you'll have to take on the chin that depreciation will be more significant. If you buy at the right price this shouldn't be such a factor in your decision.

Good Luck :thumb:

Thanks T8, thats what I'm thinking, and the right spec is hard to come by as the number of 991 C4s is somewhat limited, cant have it all I guess. Well...thats not true unless your lucky enough to have an unlimited budget

dazzpowder said:
.............. and the right spec is hard to come by as the number of 991 C4s is somewhat limited ............

It certainly is. If you go for it I might know an interested buyer in a couple of years time. :whistle:

At the right price of course. :wink:

im currently putting 300 miles a week on a new boxster, I reckon after year one it will have settled to about 13 k a year.
That's 3 years and 40 k ish miles.

If I sell it and lose a few grand, at least I'll feel that I've had good use out of it.

If the 911 is the spec you want and the price is good then go for it.

IMHO many of these cars are now considered daily drivers and the service intervals are 20k or 2 years for a reason.
When I see a car fie sake that's got really low miles I feel that the last owner has lost out and in some ways they have paid more per mile than a high mileage driver due to limited use.

Yes I agree I was one of those owners and regretted not drivien my old 997 more. These cars aren't relatively cheap, when the next one is sold I want to know I've made dam good use of it

The only reason mileage matters is due to the market value of it after it has the miles on it. If you buy one with higher miles then you should get it cheaper. In terms of reliability, as long as its been maintained properly then there is no mechanical reason to stay away from them.

My neighbour had OPC deliver him a new 991.2 to test the other day. He loved it but explained that he does 35k miles a year and normally keeps a car for 2 years before changing. His last car was a 7 series BMW. The dealership didn't want the car back at 2 years old with 70k miles on it and he lost an incredible amount of money on it. Can you imagine how much he would lose on a new 911??

But then I started trying to persuade him to get one. In the back of my mind I was thinking it would be the cheapest way for me to get into a 2 year old 911
whistle.gif

I suppose having another car for those long journeys can be the answer but even then you don't always behave yourself and get in the 2nd car when you ought to. I have access to our Range Rover but often take the Porsche option when I go out of the door.

The other thing is that Porsche offer unlimited mileage warranty on new cars so that is worth something too.

I'm going to be doing 20k to 25k miles per annum, so will be at 80-100k miles at 4 years old.

I can't wait, am going to try to use it as much as I can! I plan on keeping it 3 or 4 years. It'll be whatever it'll be in terms of residual. You don't buy these cars based on a financial judgement, its pure man maths... ;)

6appeal said:
I'm going to be doing 20k to 25k miles per annum, so will be at 80-100k miles at 4 years old.

I can't wait, am going to try to use it as much as I can! I plan on keeping it 3 or 4 years. It'll be whatever it'll be in terms of residual. You don't buy these cars based on a financial judgement, its pure man maths... ;)

Amen to that! :thumb:

6appeal said:

Top man!!

Surely, as long as it is reflected in the price, the mileage on purchase is irrelevant. Whilst you own it, if you do a high mileage you will lose more in depreciation, whatever the starting point. But..your cost per mile is likely to be less. Factor in the enjoyment (smiles per mile) ang you get the smile per £ ratio which is always optimised by using it as much as possible.

Depreciation due to age or mileage is always steeper at the start so buying a one year old car may be the best bet if you can do he right deal.

Cheers... And to answer your original question, mileage is such an urban legend nowadays, so yes, personally I look for higher mileage cars if looking for a used car. I bought an RS6 with over 30,000 miles at 1 year old, and I piled the miles onto it... Enjoy it, that's what's most important!!! As long as the price reflects, go for it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back