Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bischoff or Gillet - this is exhausting!

pietrzj

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi,

I thought this would be easy. I will be replacing my sparkplugs and leads later in the summer and therefore i will have to remove at least one muffler (silencer in old speak). I will replace their bolts with stainless ones and I guess there will be gaskets too so i need to know which type i have. The number on the side is 993.111.045.13. So what have i got?

The type of box (gillet or bischoff) should be stamped on the box next to the part number , plus the month/year of manufacture. The bischoff boxes can also be identified by the flared end connections. The gillet type have an olive type end on them. There aren't any gaskets to worry about. The boxes just rely on a clamp
And olive type ring to make the seal . Photo of some of my bischoff type c/w bypass pipe (now binned in favour of rsr's)

Hope this helps :thumb:

If you can see the flange/clamp type in situ, here are the differences:

BischoffGillet.jpg

230270d1194227367-993-and-bishoff-to-gillet-mufflers-bischoff-sample.jpg

230268d1194227214-993-and-bishoff-to-gillet-mufflers-gillet-sample.jpg

Courtesy of pelicanparts:

The left 2 mufflers are Gillett, they have the biscuit integral w/ the pipe exit. The right 2 are Bischof. , they have an expanded section which a separate biscuit fits into

04_14_2006_+0071199641485.jpg

I'm sure someone who knows the part numbers will be along to advise :).

I think these are the part numbers:

993 111 045/046 04 - Manufactured by Bischoff
993 111 045/046 07 - Manufactured by Bischoff M159
993 111 045/046 11 - Manufactured by Gillett
993 111 045/046 12 - Manufactured by Gillett M159

Here you go Porsche tech sheet on the exhaust systems. I had to shrink one of the PDFs to be able to load it up on here so not as clear as it should be but still readable.

ATB :)

Attachments

• cat_exhaust_info_from_frank1compressed_460.pdf
    108 KB · Views: 142
  • cat_exhaust_info_from_frank2_476.pdf
    33.2 KB · Views: 181
Just to confuse things OP ........... Mine has one of each. :D

The silencers are interchangeable the cats are not (unless you use adapters)
Only gaskets are on the manifold, big olives are use on the Bischoff unions, not needed on Gillet. A Dremel is your best friend when replacing exhausts.
The olives clean up nicely with a bit of wire wool and don't be temped by JP fitting kit it's terrible, new clamps and olives are pricey, but rarely need replacing. I use good quality stainless allen bolts and nuts on the clamps and silencer straps (stick with OE).
I recently bought a pair of decent used silencers to modify as I'm not happy with the Dansk replacements.

Hanks all. Endoman - do you have a good source for stainless nuts? I don't think nylock nuts are appropriate for hot exhausts so i wondered if you hadany alternative ideas?

There are stainless lock nuts which do not have plastic inserts. I used the shouldered ones with gripping mating surface on the clamps. Fabspeed supplied copper plated ones for the manifold and Kath Burrows had used the same on the 944 manifold. I understand some stainless will gall if subject to very high temperatures and cheapo stainless bolts will stretch distorting the threads and need cutting off. Found that out the hard way. Still playing with my exhaust, the spare silencers are being modified by a local custom exhaust manufacturer (Pipewerx) to my own spec. a Maxflo type arrangement.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back