Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 C2 Restoration

M

Hi!
I must admit I've been lurking around here for a while and I'm amazed at the enthusiasm, knowledge & information on this forum.... thanks guys!
Anyhow, I'm a long time 911 owner and have had several, but the best 'drivers' car that to me 'hit the spot' that I ever owned was a 964 and I longed to own another.
I'd always noticed a local car (I'd seen it around for years and years), Guards red 1990 964 C2 coupe manual :)
Turns out that I knew the owner but didn't know it was his car, we got chatting and I've been trying to buy it from him for the last two years.
AND yes finally I now own what was his pride and joy, he owned it for 23 years!

I'll keep this short as it's my first post, but it's a tidy original car and the paint was a bit orange / pink with a few small paint bubbles in the usual places so I bit the bullet and decided to go for a full glass out repaint.
I was going to wait until it was finished but I'm so excited and a big kid at heart(!) Can't wait, so here she is.....
(I have loads of photos if anyone is interested)

Cheers

Attachments

• img_8255_144.jpg
    img_8255_144.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 11,806
Love gaurds red- when in top condition it's one of the best. Bet you can't wait till its back together!!
Of got my eye on a car locally- it rarely moves and the paint is tired. Going to knock the door and ask the question.
Good luck with the car 👍

That is so lovely, I like the shape of the 964 good to see another one getting saved and rebuilt . well done great job. hope to hear more from you on here. :thumb: :grin: and welcome to the forum :welcome:

Hi M,

Welcome, it looks like a lovely car :thumb:

Good luck,
Paul

Very nice mate :worship:

Mr02ard... good luck, hope you get it!
Phil 997, paul284pt, Thanks guys.

The car certainly looks better than when I saw it some time ago, I thought they'd wrecked it :eek:

Attachments

• img_7412_651.jpg
    img_7412_651.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 11,639
Nice to see another full throttle build! :)

You look to be doing this 964 proud. Keep up the good work! :thumbs:

Chris

Thanks for the comment Chris!
I'm really new around here, but what a nice bunch of like-minded people. Thanks for the warm welcome guys.:thumb:
I'm so chuffed, I got my newly painted and restored beauty back today. Photos soon...
I understand the workshop manager of the body shop is editing a video that they made of the stages from strip down to it's final polish. It will be a while but I'll post a link when it's complete if anyone would like to see...?

Anyhow, thanks again guys.... Shattered now, I read Paul's entire Plan-B post last night! :sleepy:

Some Pics and need advice please!

I've had the car for two days and it's done nothing but p**s down with rain since! So I haven't had a chance to get my camera out....

Here's a couple of shots taken by the Body Centre when I picked her up. I'm delighted with the paint job, I reckon they did a great job - no more pink and orange panels & no more little bubbles :D

A few little things still to do, but I have a question for you guys....

Ok, the car has been restored & painted but everything in it is as it was from the factory... no upgrades, even still has the Blaupunkt Toronto radio / cassette, cassette holders.

I didn't know before but I realise from you all that a manual C2 Coupe (no sunroof) is good news?

I've retained the original D90's and have fitted some refurbished Cup 1's, fitted a G pipe (kept the silencer).

-Ok to paint the callipers red?
-The fan?
-Play with the suspension etc....?
-Cup mirrors?

Haven't said but the car is 1990, 142K with engine rebuild at 128K

I look forward to your advice please!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• dsc_0804_2_790.jpg
    dsc_0804_2_790.jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 11,329
  • dsc_0778_2_113.jpg
    dsc_0778_2_113.jpg
    942.5 KB · Views: 11,329
  • screen_shot__531.jpg
    screen_shot__531.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 11,329
I see no reason not to adjust the car to your taste :) keep the mods reversible and there's no worry. Many future owners might even prefer a few simple mods...

Chris

Cheers Chris,

I was thinking along those lines, the front is a bit high, cup mirrors are a bit prettier, the fan looks awful.......

But then would the purist say, do nothing that's how it should be?

It's a keeper for me, my new pride & joy, but with prices as they are I don't want it to lose its value or waste money.
:?:

Sorry, I'm new and posted twice - Please Delete

Beautiful - need more pics - I think the flags look great even like the D90s :thumbs:

Lovely car, great to see another 964 getting the full treatment!

Cup mirrors, lower her with some H&R springs, more sporty steering wheel (I went for the Club Sport and love it) ...all enhancements that will make the car more desirable and really improve the drive & enjoyment. :thumbs:

Re: Some Pics and need advice please!

M said:
Do I keep it original????????

I didn't know before but I realise from you all that a manual C2 Coupe (no sunroof) is good news?

I've retained the original D90's and have fitted some refurbished Cup 1's, fitted a G pipe (kept the silencer).

-Ok to paint the callipers red?
-The fan?
-Play with the suspension etc....?
-Cup mirrors?

Haven't said but the car is 1990, 142K with engine rebuild at 128K

I look forward to your advice please!

Cheers
Mike

Lovely car Mike. 8)

I'm not usually a fan of red cars but I do really like a 964 in red as it just seems to suit the car so well for some reason.

Great choice with the Cup 1 wheels. They would definitely be my wheel of choice for a 964 too.

I like a few subtle mods and all of your list sounds good to me.

Cup mirrors - much prettier than the 'elephant ears'.
Lower suspension - a little bit lower will make a big difference to the look of the car (although 'fully slammed' looks a bit "Max Power" for my tastes).
Fan - a freshly painted and glossy fan always looks nice. Very much personal choice on colour. Original silver or red seem to be popular.
Red calipers - I'm a sucker for these (and red seat belts), in fact I think mine will get done before long.

None of these would be too difficult or expensive for someone to reverse if they wanted to but as you have said it's a keeper anyway I say get it just how you want it and enjoy it without worrying about some imaginary future buyer. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back